• Laudetur Jesus Christus!
    I would like to play/sing Silent Night in a Gregorian version. I would like to do somethig like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoEF2FyeZTM but in a Gregoian version. Do you have any tips for me and my friends?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Gregorian versions??? Joseph Mohr (who wrote the text in 1816) and Franz Xavier Gruber who wrote the music on the 24th of December of 1818 at Mohr's request hardly had in mind any Gregorian setting for the performance at Mass that Christmas eve at the St. Nicholas church in Oberndorf, near Salzburg, Austria. It was written for two soloists, choir, and guitar (the legend that the organ at St. Nicholas was in disrepair is questionable), with Mohr singing tenor while playing the guitar part and Gruber singing bass.

Since Mohr was assistant priest at St. Nicholas, we have an instance of "priestly guitar music at Mass" long antedating the use of guitars by priests in folk masses following Vatican II.

There have been countless translations, arrangements, and adaptations of this work. But I've never encountered a "Gregorian" version (and I might be unhappy with the result). And what do you mean by sing and PLAY a "Gregorian version" of it?
  • I think the original version is much nicer than the "folk version" that's been in every hymnal. Too bad none the publishers put both in their hymnals, side by side.
  • You may be looking for In Splendoribus This is more poetic in that the text is concentrated.
  • the very finest arrangements (?) and original with the final verser harmonized by Ernest White is the best I know of. He published (now much extinct) these and I have copies I could share. The original has a fine strong rhythmn, unlike how it usually performed. The Haydn arrangement is good, too and Ernest's harmonies are so elegant.