Latin/English Psalter
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I would like to buy...

A book (an actual, hold-it-in-my-hands book) which has the Vulgate (or nova Vulgate, I guess) Psalms side by side with English.
    My preference would be Anglican BCP English (Coverdale, yes?).

Does this exist?

Thanks.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I wish it did, but I doubt it. :(
  • I'd buy it in a heartbeat for personal use/reflection! Or print all 150+ pages and take it to our local (Italy-trained) bookbinder...

The closest thing I have found online is latinvulgate.com where you can have the Vulgate and the Douay-Rheims side by side (and my brain still flips over to Coverdale; as my pastor is fond of saying, you can take the girl out of Anglicanism, but you can't take Anglican music out of the girl.)
  • If you find such a book I should like to know where you found it!

And, I do like the (in my case) 'take the boy out of Anglicanism...' remark!
    Are you, by chance, Anglican Use, which in 15 days will be Anglican Ordinariate?... remember to sing a Te Deum.
  • Jackson, no, I'm a former Anglican, Catholic since 2008 (although I grew up 'on the fence'--my parents were lapsed because of an invalid marriage, but we attended our Episcopal parish in the mornings and Mass with Mum's oldest son and family Sunday afternoons--only communicated in the mornings, of course!). The church where I work--which was my home parish before I converted--is so Anglo-Catholic that they ought to convert, but there are obstacles; they are still ECUSA and the only 'orthodox' parish in the diocese. The liturgy looks like and sounds like Missa Cantata or Missa Solemnis, except in English. At my mother's funeral liturgy, all my Catholic friends came away saying, "Why doesn't Mass look like THAT?"

The Ordinariate is going nowhere in my state, particularly since the local breakaway Anglican community is TAC and they voted not to join the Ordinariate but to affiliate with some other breakaway group, which is what all the local Episcopal breakaways are doing--reaffiliating with yet someone else. I pray daily for them. And I have been rejoicing ever since the Holy Father offered Anglicanorum coetibus! (My home parish is the home of the only indult in our state pre-SP, and offers both the EF and the OF, the latter ad orientem with great reverence in English and Spanish; we are regulars at the OF Vigil except when I have my days off. I was called into the Church by the election of B XVI and SP, and knew I was supposed to be a Latin Rite Catholic. I wouldn't be joining the Ordinariate even if it did have a parish in my area, although I wouldn't mind visiting occasionally!)

And yes, Coverdale! The language is utterly beautiful, and Anglican chant done musically and regularly (the congregation participates) is a wonderful setting for it, although in the summers we use the Plainsong Psalter and I compose refrains and that also is well-accepted.

Case in point: at present I have a substitute paid soprano who is by profession a Baptist, but when we practiced the Anglican chant on the day she came to visit/audition, she was blown away by the beauty of the language and the 'rightness' of the music. She had never chanted before, either, and for the Propers we only do the English Gradual except occasionally when we'll do the Gregorian propers, but that, too, was amazing to her. She had never experienced liturgical worship before, and after that first liturgy she said that she had not realized that an hour and fifteen minutes had gone by--everything flowed together perfectly, language, music, action, preaching...

That is what I think the Church wants in both Forms of the Roman Rite, and what I work for with my little traveling schola.

/soapbox (mea culpa)
  • PC -
    Thanks for sharing your journey.
    As to your Catholic friends who wondered 'why doesn't mass look like THAT!' -
    The fact that mass DOESN'T look like that is exactly what keeps many Anglo-Catholics away from Rome.
    They believe in the validity of their orders and sacraments and want no part of Rome's rather un-Catholic style of worship.
    Unfortunately, most of us came to realise that even if mass DID look like that,
    that was not enough if the whole Faith and the Magisterium were absent in the Anglican Church as a whole.

So: did your Baptist friend convert?

And: still, you can sing a Te Deum with us when the ordinariate becomes official on 1 January!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Nothing tedious or confounding about singing the Te Deum - already pre-echoing in my heart!
  • And I hope you will never be confounded.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In Te, Domine speravi, non confundar in aeternum.