Chanting the Preces Feriales
  • With Ember Days upon us, I'm reminded that I've never seen tones for the Preces Feriales of EF Lauds and Vespers. Is there a customary way to chant these? Is it just "drop a minor third at the end of each versicle and response"?
  • BenB
    You're correct in the versicles and responses. For when the Kyrie/Christe/Kyrie are chanted, the celebrant/officiant begins chanting the first Ky-ri-e e-le-i-son (D-D-DD TL-T-D-D.) The response has the same melody for Chris-te e-le-i-son (DD-DD TL-T-D-D.). The final Kyrie, sung by all, sounds similar. Ky-ri-e e-le-i-son (D-D-DD DR-D-D-T.) I've never seen this written out in chant notation, that's just been my experience the couple of times singing it at a monastery. The remaining versicles and responses start on the final note of the last Kyrie, and drop a third at the end. Local custom prevails as regards pauses in the longer versicles/responses.
  • Thanks Ben. That's roughly my memory of the Kyrie/Christe/Kyrie as well.

Now that I've looked at the preces a little more closely I'm wondering if something is typically substituted for "Domine salvum fac regem" in the USA. Google isn't turning up anything very definite.
  • I've never seen this written out in chant notation

... and here's a clue as to why -- just ran across this in the 1912 Antiphonale Romanum (my half-baked translation):

The Preces feriales at Lauds and Vespers are not sung, but said in a low voice, unless there is a custom to the contrary.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • BenB
    Well, according to this page, (beginning at the section on French anthems), under Napoleon the phrase was altered to 'Domine salvum fac imperatorem'. As the original verse is scriptural (Ps. 19:10), I don't see anything wrong with using it in the preces, even though we may not have a monarchy today.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • I would agree with Mr. Dunlap. I also use the Antiphonale Romanum 1912 post Divinu Afflatu. The rubrics in the Breviarium Romanum do use "dico" instead of "recito" in regards to the preces which I feel implies they should be spoken as opposed to recitation aloud (which is the main function of chant). The prayers should be solemn, penitential, and definitely in a low tone. I personally feel that chanting them is perhaps takes away from the spirit and intention behind the prayers. I've also never heard them chanted by others when I was in attendance. However given that there is no explicit instruction against chanting it, I think it's safe to follow the "unless local custom differs" rule if you wish to.
  • In a chant text book from 1881 the Preces feriales are mentioned to be sung recto tono. This is based on a SRC decision from 1739.

I know a church where chanting is crucial (unless microphone is used) because you hardly hear anything in the nave that is spoken in the sanctuary especially if spoken ad orientem.
    Thanked by 1igneus