Singing the Responsorial Psalm
  • For the past year our parish has been singing the Chabanel psalms using the harmonization provided. Recently a priest pointed out to me that the psalm is not supposed to be sung by the choir, let alone in harmony. Indeed, when I checked the latest edition of the GIRM (no. 61) it states that the psalmist or cantor sings the psalm from the ambo (or another suitable place, for those churches without an ambo). Does anyone know of a document that would allow for the choir to sing the psalm, and in harmony?

I asked the good people over at Chabanel but they didn't have a good answer (that's not a criticsm of them). now I am just curious why music for the psalms would be published for a choir, if choirs are not supposed to sing the psalm. Can anyone help?
  • Dear Fr.,
    I'll get to a suggestion in a second, allow me a mini-rant, if you all will, please.
    Added to my list of banned words and terms in liturgical discourse that now prohibits: "Like....don't like," "I think," and anything close to "nice....good....bad," I am adding-
    "supposed to." Endeth the rant. (Save for the part that "a priest" saying such implies some sort of "authority." Feh.

Okay, I'm gonna solve yer problem-doesn't matter if you use Chabanel or Respond and Acclaim and ever' thing in between. Here goes.
    During the chanting of the verses, whether in alternatim with the responsorial or through, what's to prevent the quire from becoming an a capella "organ" using an "ooh" vowel or somesuch? The psalmist will cantillate the text, fine. The quire will still remain the living human voice most suitable for praising God (ain't that in the documents somewhere's, just as saxophones ain't?) As long as the quire are NOT voicing a Doo and a Wop and doing the Temptations lift step, who gives a rip? While I'm on it, what if that "another suitable" (the ever yielding ambiguity of the legislation, gotta love it!) place happens to be from the organist's bench and console, s/he being cantor/psalmist/choir/congregation and kitchen sink in one (The Quinity!)?
    Question for Noel: when is someone going to write a little pamphlet book titled "When Priests Attack"? Or, in this era, that title probably wouldn't fly so well. Endeth the second rant.
    Question: is it me, or is every DirMus that I know and love under severe duress that has nothing to do whatsoever with the Advent-Christmas season or the Third Edition of the English Roman Missal?
  • IanWIanW
    Dear Fr.,

Is this a perhaps a problem that arises from taking a fundamentalist approach to a small part of a particular document – that is, attempting to use it in isolation from the wider tradition and the nature of the document itself to justify or prohibit practice? It seems to me that GIRM is not obviously a clear-cut list of things to do and avoid (tho’ in places it does include precise instruction), but an attempt in the aftermath of a radical revision of the liturgy to provide guidance on best practice. It is reasonable in this case to assume that it simply describes common practice in most parts of the world, where a choir capable of collectively singing the psalm verses is not available. This is similar to the case of the traditional singing of the Gradual, in that few parishes would have had a schola able to pull it off, and more would have had an individual who could. If your choir is capable of singing an appropriate style of verse setting, I don't believe there's anything in the GIRM that prohibits this. On the contrary: I would suggest the general assumption in that document is that it is good to sing the mass, and that the choir singing alone has its place in the scheme of things.
  • IanWIanW
    Charles: chill. Put your feet up. Listen to some good music. Open a bottle of something.
  • Ian -

I disagree. The argument of the GIRM not being clear-cut, and things not being specifically prohibited being allowed is a very slippery and dangerous slope. Clown masses, anyone? Inserting hymns at various points in the mass? Etc. et al.

The language seems clear. The psalm is sung by a cantor.
  • Well, so much for Westminster Cathedral, St. Paul's in Cambridge, and probably half of the Catholic parishes with outstanding music programs.

What would be the point of a cantor-only (meaning an individual person) restriction?
  • And so much for the great French cathedrals who play instrumental music during Lent ...

I'm not sure what the point would be. And I don't believe it matters. The GIRM is clear.
  • IanWIanW
    PGA - the abuse of judgement shouldn't require us to wish for a papal bull on the breakfast table every day (© W. Ward). Catholicism since Trent has swung between an Ultramontane desire for central dictation of everything to an uberliberal anything goes-so-long-as-it-gives-us-a-nice-warm-feeling. One of the lessons Joseph Ratzinger has for us is that we must look to tradition for liturgical guidance, for that "Spirit of the Liturgy" which will help us walk the authentic path. His observations on the choral Sanctus - which some would prohibit on the basis of a fundamentalist interpretation of the GIRM - are instructive.
  • WGS
    Is it possible that the word "cantor" presumes singular and plural? In the traditional Mass, the number of cantors was determined by the degree of solemnity of the feast.
  • It seems that neither the GIRM (nos. 61, 102, 129) nor the GILM (nos. 20, 22, 56) refer to the role of the choir in the singing of the Responsorial Psalm. The first reference in GIRM to choirs appears in no. 41:

41. The main place should be given, all things being equal, to Gregorian chant, as being proper to the Roman Liturgy. Other kinds of sacred music, in particular polyphony, are in no way excluded, provided that they correspond to the spirit of the liturgical action and that they foster the participation of all the faithful. [Cf. SC no. 116, & no. 30]

Then in no. 103 we find:

103. Among the faithful, the schola cantorum or choir exercises its own liturgical function, its place being to take care that the parts proper to it, in keeping with the different genres of chant, are properly carried out and to foster the active participation of the faithful by means of the singing. [Cf. S.C.R., Instruction, Musicam sacram, March 5, 1967, no. 19: AAS 59 (1967), p. 306.] What is said about the schola cantorum also applies, with due regard for the relevant norms, to other musicians, and especially the organist.

GIRM 103 cites the Instruction of the Sacred Congregation of Rites as an example of "relevant norms" for the role of the choir. Here's what it says:

19. Because of the liturgical ministry it performs, the choir -- or the Capella musica, or schola cantorum -- deserves particular mention. Its role has become something of yet greater importance and weight by reason of the norms of the Council concerning the liturgical renewal. Its duty is, in effect, to ensure the proper performance of the parts which belong to it, according to the different kinds of music sung, and to encourage the active participation of the faithful in the singing. Therefore:

(a) There should be choirs, or Capellae, or scholae cantorum, especially in cathedrals and other major churches, in seminaries and religious houses of studies, and they should be carefully encouraged.

(b) It would also be desirable for similar choirs to be set up in smaller churches.

What is lacking in all these instructions so far is an explicit instruction as to what are the "parts [of the liturgy] that belong to [the choir]." Musicam sacram, no. 19 (cited above) hints that the choir's role has something to do with the "kinds of music sung."

Finally in the adaptation by the USCCB we read in no. 61:

61. ...In the Dioceses of the United States of America, instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books, or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, including Psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm.

Since there are multiple options for the chant between the readings encompassing a variety of forms (gradual chant, responsorial psalm, alleluiatic psalm, or possibly another psalm, including metrical psalms) it would appear necessary to determine the appropriate manner of rendering the chant. So we read:

Graduale Romanum
    5. After the first reading the Gradual Responsory is sung by cantors or by the choir.... [translation mine]

Graduale simplex
    18. Paying heed to the principle set forth in the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, that "in liturgical celebrations each person, minister or layman, who has an office to perform, should do all of, but only, those parts which pertain to his office by the nature of the rite and the principles of liturgy" [no. 28], by the structure of the chants of the Simple Gradual:
    a) The cantor intones the antiphons and proclaims the verses of the psalms, the people responding. The psalm can also be sung by the choir (schola).
    b) The assembly of the faithful (coetus fidelium) should sing the antiphons and the responses to the psalms that occur between the readings. On occasion, the faithful may even be given the part of the choir; it is appropriate, however, that at least the responses to the psalms that occur between the readings be proclaimed by the entire assembly, attention being given to their very nature and facility to be sung. [translation mine]

It is interesting to note that the directions for singing the psalms are all directed at set forms which are provided by the official liturgical books of the Roman Rite, i.e. the Graduale Romanum and the Graduale Simplex. Since the Church has never provided official music for the Responsorial Psalms of the Lectionary, it would seem to be a reasonable application of the existing norms to respect the musical integrity of the settings, allowing for choral, solo, or even congregational singing of the psalm, with the understanding that where there is a musical response at least the congregation will be expected to sing it.
  • Well, I know the Praenotanda of the Graduale Romanum is speaking of the Gradual when it says:

"After the First Reading, cantors or a choir sing the Gradual Response. The verse, however, is sung completely by the cantors,
    without regard for the asterisk, which indicates where the choir resumes the chant at the end of the gradual verse..."

It seems that mutatis mutandis it applies to the Responsorial Psalm as well, and cantors may sing the verse.
  • I am not clear that the RP is necessarily simply a Gradual substitute. There's a sense in which it is also a 4th reading (or a 2nd OT reading, to provide symmetry with the Gospel/Epistle pair). IF it's a reading, then verbal rather than musical values would have primacy, and a single singer (all things being equal) projects text better. In any case, there's little that tradition can tell us about a liturgical element that didn't exist before 1970.

There's not a whole lot of good to come from rubric wars, but I wonder what Fr. Stuart's priest friend does about organ in Lent, or excessive EMHCs, or a host of other things. If Catholic musical culture lives by rubrics, it will also die by rubrics. At some point, it reminds one of George Carlin's crack about "going to Hell for a beef jerky on Friday."
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If a choir can sing cleanly and as though they are one voice (even if singing in harmony) I think they're just acting as a cantor. Obviously there's not enough room for them to all stand at the ambo, so they're standing in "another suitable place." I think if the verses to the Psalm were sung in a really whacky polyphonic way that made the text unintelligible, then perhaps one should look at just using a cantor.
  • dad29
    @IanW:

Open a bottle of something

I think you meant "DRINK" a bottle of something. Open bottles all around the room, and he's still in anxiety-attack mode....
  • Are you guys trying to tell me something?
    All I hear is an old pop song: "They're coming to take me away, ha ha."

Just got done with annual concert (Vivaldi GLORIA, Bach MAGNIFICAT) and full into school kids' musical tomorrow. Can't have Cabernet breath.
  • IanWIanW
    matthewj wrote: If a choir can sing cleanly and as though they are one voice (even if singing in harmony) I think they're just acting as a cantor

You put your finger on it. I have my schola sing unison, psalm-tone-based verses, from which the response is derived. Given a choir with good experience of Anglican chant, I would not be averse to harmonised verses, though some considerable skill is required to do it properly. The key thing with the responsorial psalm is to get the text over, enhancing it with music without the music getting in the way. That is quite possible with a choir, as it is with a competent cantor.
  • chonakchonak
    A couple of observations:
    Hence the psalmist, or cantor of the Psalm, sings the Psalm verses at the ambo or another suitable place, while the whole congregation sits and listens

Let's notice that the GIRM's reference to "another suitable place" does not state that this option is only for churches without an ambo. Feel free to put your psalmist in the choir loft.

As for the fact that a psalmist is mentioned and not a choir, I think the instruction in the GIRM would be taken as a minimal instruction, and not one that intends to banish the heritage of Catholic psalm-singing: e.g., fauxbourdon settings.

Also, there are options not often used in the States:
    the whole congregation sits and listens, normally taking part by means of the response, except when the Psalm is sung straight through, that is, without a response.

So there is an option to sing the Psalm straight through without a response by the congregation. That seems to suggest that the response may presented before and after the psalm, or omitted completely!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I would suggest that there are numerous items we could point to which show there is NO prohibition of a choir singing the Resp. Psalm. I am going to try to find some time later to type my thoughts on this.

Also, an expert Liturgist sent me this a few minutes ago:

Concerning paragraph 61: the responsorial psalm is a preference, not a requirement.

The first alternative is the gradual from the Graduale Romanum, in which it is inconceivable that the congregation should sing the verse; the traditional rubrics for the gradual assign the verse to cantors, so that not even the choir sings the verse. Other alternatives are collections of psalms and antiphons. Just as with the gradual, these psalms would be performed according to their own manner of performance. Thus. if you are using a collection of psalms with the verses set to Anglican chant, you would have the choir sing them. If you have a collection in which the cantor's part is provided with choral setting, it would come under this rubric and is perfectly permissible, I should think. The only prohibition is againt "songs or hymns."

In light of this possibility of alternatives, paragraph 129 is simply descriptive of the usual practice, and cannot restrict the practice to the responsorial psalm only, since paragraph 61 provides for alternatives to it.

There are ambiguities in the GIRM that mean that one must refer to Musicam sacram, Sacrosanctam concilium, and the entire tradition of teaching about sacred music, all of I think which would concur with what I have said.
  • IanWIanW
    Can't have Cabernet breath

@Charles: that's what water and mouthwash are for.

I think you meant "DRINK" a bottle of something.

@dad29: I admire your precision and stand corrected. I wouldn't have just opened a bottle of scotch without I intended to drink from it (just the one, tho').
  • The GIRM is the instructions that come with the Missal/Sacramentary. It gives basic instruction to the priest/celebrant and then to the other ministers in the Sanctuary. It gives direction for the minimum requirements. It does not go into what the altar server do and don't. It doesn't give any specific instructions for choir does or doesn't do either. It doesn't even try to tell the Bishop what he should do when celebrating the Mass - that's in another book. This is a very fundamentalist point of view, that there can only be one Psalmist, and that s/he must sing/read from the Ambo. Yes, there is the argument that doing anything else, even out of "Tradition" only opens up another Pandora's Box to other 'traditions". So, we shouldn't do what we know to be correct because some one else will concoct an excuse to do what the think is correct?
  • thank you for all the responses. I think it is clear from references to other documents, for which I am grateful, that it is possible for the choir to sing the psalm. for those who asked, or assumed negatively, my priest friend has a doctorate from the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music in Rome and hosts a Gregorian chant conference in his country. Neither he, nor I, would be against anything that members here are striving for in their parishes. Hence, I took his comment very seriously; although, I did not have time to discuss it with him.
  • It would be helpful to have a document that lays out exactly how things were done....before Vat II. In locations such as a monastery, a cathedral, a large city parish church, a small country church.

Who sang what and how many.

The GIRM is more a description of how far you may stray from an ideal rather than directions for perfection.

No?

In this case, it may have been helpful.

After all, the gradual is seriously divorced from the resp psal. But is it not where it came from? Is there no connection?

Long florid Alleluias - sung by one, by a few, by the entire choir?
  • @frogman: I think there is ample guidance in the Preface to the Vatican Edition of the Roman Chant (see Liber usualis, pp. xv. ff). The last edition of the Liber shows us how the chants were meant to be rendered on the eve of the Council. Granted, of course, these ideals were (and are) not always met. For example, our schola is often so small on Sundays that it is only possible to have one cantor sing the verses instead of two. Also we follow the older custom of not beginning the Introit until the priest reaches the foot of the altar, usually having the organ play an entrée during the ingress of the ministers. The problem, in my opinion, in looking to the usus antiquior for guidance for the Novus ordo is that some of these elements of the latter (Responsorial Psalm, Verse before the Gospel) are entirely new compositions in new forms which have no real precedent in the Mass of the Roman Rite. Also it is problematic (to me at least) that we have no proper music assigned to the texts of the typical edition of the Lectionary that are intended to be sung. One can borrow from the Graduale Simplex and adapt the texts to psalm tones, for example. Has anyone ever tried to match the Responsorial Psalm refrains to the Gregorian antiphon repertoire? I wonder how many of the appointed texts have any pre-history in the Breviary.

In other words, how can we expect a more-than-a-millenial liturgico-musical tradition to inform us when we are facing liturgical innovations of less than a half-century?