Mass at Dawn time frame?
  • Claire H
    What is the time frame for the Christmas Mass at Dawn? Would an 8am Mass qualify or should it be the Mass During the Day?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm not sure, but I think that the Christmas Mass at Dawn may be taken as the first Mass of Christmas Day (after the Midnight Mass, of course), so if the first Mass is at 8am, it would qualify. This is how we did it at St. Thomas Aquinas in Charlottesville way back when I was the choir director for the 8am Mass. If there were also a Mass at, say 6:30am, then the 8am Mass would not be the Mass at Dawn; i.e., there can only be one Mass at Dawn.

I hope I'm not leading you astray.
  • BenBen
    Here's what I found for rubrics on the matter:

GIRM no 34:
    On the day of the Nativity of the Lord, following ancient Roman tradition, Mass may be celebrated
    three times, that is, in the night, at dawn, and during the day. [not much there]

Roman Missal, pp. 172:
    On the Nativity of the Lord all Priests may celebrate or concelebrate three Masses, provided
    the Masses are celebrated at their proper times.

Continue the discussion now...
  • Liam
    If you want to understand the context, you need to understand the old Divine Office.

First Vespers (6 pm?).

Solemn Matins at the hour for the First Nocturn (9 pm?).

After Matins, the Midnight Mass.

Just after Mass, Lauds...because on Christmas, dawn will be marked not by the hourly Office, but by the Mass.

Just before dawn, Prime (of course now suppressed in the OF), and then Dawn Mass at sunrise.

Terce (9 am?), followed by the Day Mass.
    Thanked by 1Joseph Mendes