A Sense of the Sacred in Bolivia
  • Michael O'Connor
    A very interesting and enlightening article from Bolivia.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90321843
  • mjballoumjballou
    Thanks, Michael. The musical traditions of the Jesuit and Franciscan mission in both North and South America is fascinating. Here's a link to an article about the music of the California missions.

http://www.ca-missions.org/summers.html

I particularly like the Guidonian hand on the wall of the church. Do you think this would help contemporary choirs?

In Florida, we're frustrated by the lack of documentation on music in our 16th and 17th century missions. All we have are passing references in documents since all of our missions were destroyed by the English and allied Indian groups.
    But who knows what might turn up some day in the Archives of the Indies in Seville?
  • Michael O'Connor
    Also the missions in FL were less developed than those in New Spain. St Augustine was founded in 1565 but I wonder what the liturgical music was like. No high-status composers worked here to my knowledge.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Our best point for comparison would be the contemporary music in Cuba, since St. Augustine had a close relationship with Havana. We do know there was an organ at one of the missions. When access to materials in Cuba improves, we may know more. When the Spanish withdrew from St. Augustine in 1763, they took everything (including the pews in the church) with them, rather than anything for the English. It's also known that surplus religious goods that came back to Havana from Florida were sent in different directions. Perhaps the same happened with the music.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Actually the musical establishment at La Havana was a good one. There was a CD recently released of music from there. Can't remember the title right now. Remember that access is only restricted to Americans. Others have been researching there for some time. A look in Seville would be the best bet.