Aristotle A. Esguerra • Responsorial Psalms • Years A, B, & C • 247-page book
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Aristotle A. Esguerra has released a 247 page book of Responsorial Psalms.

I'm sure he will posting about it soon (with all the details).

There is a special promotion, AND ALSO, you can use this coupon as well!

• incantuincantu
    A wonderful resource. These really sing themselves.

Why the NAB translation, though? I had thought the new Grail psalms were to be the standard for any new publication. What's the latest on this? I feared that it would get buried with the new translation of the ordinary.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    incantu:

The latest from the USCCB Committee on Divine Worship is that the NAB will remain in Lectionaries until the Lectionary is revised.

Currently, according the Secretariat, there are no plans whatsoever to revise the Lectionary.

So, whenever we receive a new Lectionary, the Revised Grail will appear (for the first time). Whether this is 5 years away or 50 years, nobody knows. However, the "Revised" Grail is allowed to be SUNG during Mass. Some have suggested that (perhaps) in ten years they will begin work on a new Lectionary.
  • bgeorge77
    Just found this, easy and nice!

Is there any resource like this for daily Mass? (Before anyone wonders who would sing psalms at daily Mass: parochial school and college chapels.)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Those of us who have daily masses write our own psalm settings using the models like that shown above. After years of writing, I have a good collection.
  • francis
    We celebrate ALL the feast days and obligatory memorials of the BVM with music here, so I am VERY interested in Psalms for daily Mass also.
  • The Lumen Christi Missal will contain Responsorial Psalms for ALL Daily Masses in the Proper of Time and the Proper of Saints, including the entire Commons. Choral editions with verses will first be found online, coming shortly, and additional volumes will follow in print. If anyone has specific needs in the meantime, please contact me.
  • bgeorge77
    Somewhere deep in the recesses of Scribd you may find this:

SATB settings of the psalms given in the book above, with chord markings for guitars/organs.

This is awesome. I'd like to see this approach applied to the SEP as well, I think that this "unison antiphon, choral verse" approach sounds great and is also relatively easy to do.

Wish list:

That this wasn't all locked up in a Scribd RSS, a pain in the neck and basically undiscoverable.
    That all of the PDFs were collated into one PDF book with bookmarks.
    That the chant-notation book itself was available on Amazon.
    That there was a PDF of the book that could be printed a page at a time.
    Even better, that the PDF of the book were collated with the PDFs of the SATB settings, so that every thing might be in one place.
  • Hi bgeorge77 (et al.),

I'll be making these editions more generally available soon on my website [cantemusdomino.net] in due time, but I do not have the software to bookmark PDFs at this time.

This collection is offered as a more permanent, simpler (formulaic), chant-based alternative to Respond & Acclaim (thus the mimicked page layout) as well as an all-in-one alternative to the Guimont and Grail/Gelineau Responsorial Psalm collections (which do not incorporate Gospel Acclamations).

The printed editions will also include SATB arrangements of the Gospel Acclamations, whose modes will correspond with those of the Alleluias and Tracts from the Roman Gradual (just like the Responsorial Psalm modes correspond with the Gradual modes). (Most of the triple Alleluias are sourced from the Simple Gradual.)

Currently I am developing the following editions:

— Comprehensive edition (coil-bound softcover, ~300pp.)*

— Choir Folio Editions by Season, plus Solemnities & Feasts (saddle-stitch/stapled softcover, 42–88pp.)
    —— Advent/Christmas (to Baptism of the Lord)
    —— Lent/Easter (to Corpus Christi)
    —— Ordinary Time, Sundays 2–17
    —— Ordinary Time, Sundays 18–34

— Value Editions (perfect-bound, 130–170pp.)
    —— Advent/Christmas/Lent/Easter
    —— Ordinary Time 2–34

These will be published through Corpus Christi Watershed once everything is vetted. All editions will share the same pagination (though not the same pagination as the current Responsorial Psalm–only collection).

* Important: I have been having trouble figuring out how to incorporate capo chords into the scores; while LilyPond gives fantastic output, capo chords are not something that LilyPond handles well (or at all, really). Two questions:

1. Are guitar chords desirable?
    2. If the answer to 1 is "Yes", and I cannot figure out how to incorporate capo chords effectively in the Choir/SATB edition, would a standalone Melody/Guitar edition—that included guitar tablature instead of capo chords—be an acceptable accommodation? It would also serve as the Modern Notation equivalent to the Square-Note edition currently available.

It is possible that capo chords could be folded into the other editions in the future, provided that LilyPond developers develop a graceful solution to include them. But I don't see an easy way to include them—a real shame, considering that one would only need to know how to pluck five to six basic chords to accompany any setting in this collection.
  • francis
    AE

You could just insert a plain D, Dm, etc instead of the guitar symbol or are you saying you can't even do that?
  • Francis,

In LilyPond, I can include the letter chords with ease, but I cannot easily include parenthesized capo chords above these letter chords — I'm trying to hack around this limitation, but I want to use musically logical data instead of marking up the chords manually.
  • francis
    ahhhhh yes. AI. It is still quite 'artificial' even this day and age.