Sacred Music and Liturgy Reform (1966/69)
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    What precisely was happening in Catholic music circles in the mid to late 1960s? There were competent people all around and yet...something happened to change the entire direction of what constituted progress in those years. An amazing set of documents that provides detailed insight here was published in 1969. It was the proceedings of the 5th International Church Music Congress and the founding meeting of the newly organized CMAA. The papers are remarkable and the importance of this volume, heretofore very rare, cannot be overstated.

You can read the entire book here.

You will see that there was a great deal of apprehension in the air concerning what was coming. There was certitude concerning what the council was asking but grave worries about what was taking place in terms of the music world and the church generally. The speakers worked very hard to shore up the case for sacred music and deal with the unfortunate ideas about liturgy that were floating around, as well as attempting to come to terms with the coming of the vernacular. There are some amazing papers here and some riveting material about the controversy in the press. Some people may not have the stomach for this. In general this is a tragic story told in these pages. And there is a point to just letting the past be the past and moving forward. And yet, this is some important documentary history you now have at your fingertips.
  • Beware, o ye of dialup connections: it's 37 MB...
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Jeffrey, what an amazing book!

Thank you so much for posting this!!!! Wow!
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Of course it was Fr. R. Skeris who did the hard work of making this volume come into existence -- almost like he wanted the documentary evidence to be available for future generations. The importance of this book will be ever more obvious as the years pass, and our children's children will thank him for doing this, no question.
  • Felipe Gasper
    Kudos all around. This is a valuable resource.

Now I kind of wish I hadn’t paid for a copy on Amazon Marketplace last year. :)
  • francis
    i look forward to reading this... it's always important to look back in order to know how to best move forward.
  • GavinGavin
    There still was light in the "dark ages". The high school I went to was founded in the 1970s, and yet from its inception they had a men's schola that sang Gregorian chant as well as Maronite and Byzantine chant! This wound up dying out in the 90's (by the time I went there the schola was a group of soloists singing pop songs), but for a time they regularly sang chant propers and ordinaries at local parishes, and I have a record from the "old days" with such chant. So there was SOME places where the true spirit of Vatican II was implemented, but I think it's now, 40 years later that we're seeing the fruit of the council really come into being!