Looking for organ wedding music
  • miacoyne
    I'm looking for organ wedding music
    as well as collection of solo voice (sop) and organ accompaniment for wedding.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.
  • BenBen
    I glanced at your post, and I thought it said "solo voice (pop)..."
    Almost had a heart attack there...
  • Three collections I keep within easy reach:

Janet Linker (can’t remember the title), vol. 1 (vol. 2 is also nice)
    Oxford Book of Wedding Music
    Complete Ave Maria

Also:
    Franck “Panis angelicus”—there are several editions at cpdl.org

Howells “My eyes for beauty pine” can work as a solo.

It’s nice, too, to offer to sing chant propers for weddings.
  • miacoyne
    HI, Ben. I said 'solo voice' here since music books usually don't indicate as 'cantor,' whom the parish would usually have at the wedding, OF parish. In addition to Propers, there are sometimes 'requests,' and if they are reasonable ones, I'd like to add a couple in appropriate places. (if a schola or a small group is available for the wedding, I think I'd rather have them acappella singing.) But I appreciate your concern, and if this is not a good idea, I'd like to know. Thanks.

(since I started to sing Gregorian chant with my schola five years ago, which changed my way of doing music for liturgy completely, I haven't played for weddings, but I think I might be doing some. So I have to relearn to do it properly.)

Thank you Felipe. I'll look for them.
  • I couldn't more strongly recommend "Maestoso: Five Processionals for Organ" by Calvert Shenk, found here:

http://www.canticanova.com/catalog/products/g_maestoso.htm

Particularly the third piece, "Processional" has been a wonderful piece for me. For several years now, when meeting couples for weddings (most of whom want Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary, Canon in D, etc.), I've asked them to consider the Shenk for the organ processional. It works seamlessly if your parish wants to do the whole bridesmaids / bride catwalk thing (which is everywhere I've ever been).

Furthermore, with only one exception, in all those years whenever I've played that piece for a couple, they have decided that it's the one they want. It has a near perfect record. Do it!
  • miacoyne
    Thanks Andrew. Just ordered it.
  • There are probably about 20 pieces of music which will be regularly asked for at weddings:

1.) Canon in D - Pachelbel
    2.) Ave Maria - Gounod/Bach
    3.) Ave Maria - Schubert
    4.) Trumpet Voluntary in D - Clarke
    5.) Thaxted - Holst
    6.) Pie Jesu - Webber
    7.) Wedding March (Here Comes the Bride)

There is a whole pile of other ones whose names escape me at the present moment.