How did the first Sunday of Advent go?
  • chonakchonak
    I attended a Mass at another parish Saturday afternoon, and was puzzled when nobody mentioned the Big Change. Some people did pick up the text-only pew cards and recite the responses from them. Often the mix of old and new versions sounded about 50-50. Through the course of the hour more people caught on. A lot of people particularly went looking for the pew card when they heard the word "consubstantial". :-)

Kyrie and Agnus Dei were sung in the original languages, and only the Sanctus and Memorial Acclamation were sung in English with the new Missal melodies; to my surprise, nobody sang along with the cantor. Very odd. Maybe it happened 'cause there was no booklet or pew card with the tunes.

The priest said just about everything from the new Missal nicely, but retained a couple of personal idiosyncrasies, such as saying, "The Lord be with all of you." He also had an unrelated habit of turning at every elevation to show the Eucharist left and right, back and forth, several times. It reminded me of an oscillating fan. :-)

But as far as the new text goes, there were no particular problems.

How's your experience been so far?
  • francis
    Everyone jumped right in. They all used the pew cards and they seem very engaged with the new text. I messed up the And With Your Spirit a couple of times myself sitting at the organ. So much for being the DoM.
  • It went pretty smoothly. The people picked up the pew cards and used them. A few slip ups; no big deal really.
  • "And also with your spirit."
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Went well here.

I'm thinking that since the language itself is more elevated, it demands from the celebrant a more elevated and deliberate delivery… not unlike how sacred music demands a more precise technique than does folksy music.

We'll get there. :)
  • Blaise
    The use of "And with your spirit" brings the Latins in line with the Byzantine Catholics, quite possibly making it feel more "natural", if you will, when Latins & Byzantines worship in the other church. The Anglican Use parishes use a variant, "And with thy spirit."
  • Maureen
    Some confusion, some mistakes (including by me), but mostly a comfortable sort of good positive feeling from everyone. Nobody was rustling angrily or anything, that I could hear.

The biggest congregational foof was when the reader for the general petitions went rolling along without a pause into "Lord, hear our prayer," which meant everybody was caught by surprise into responding "Lord, hear our prayer." It took a couple times for people to go back to just saying it once. :)

Father's biggest foof was beginning to read the wrong Gospel. But this just made the Constant Vigilance message stand out more!
  • JamJam

The use of "And with your spirit" brings the Latins in line with the Byzantine Catholics, quite possibly making it feel more "natural", if you will, when Latins & Byzantines worship in the other church. The Anglican Use parishes use a variant, "And with thy spirit."

True! I can't tell you how many times I've been at Catholic Mass and have said "and with your spirit" just by habit, at odds with everyone around me.

funny you mention the you/thou your/thy connection. Orthodox churches tend to fall in one camp or another and it's kinda embarrassing to be saying "you" or "thee" when everyone else is saying the other. and then there's the ones that say thou/thee for God, but you for the priest and saints... I don't even know...
  • chonakchonak
    I sang at a couple of Masses this morning too, and the people did pretty well at using the new texts, especially the sung Holy and Agnus.
    There were mistakes all around (in Adventu Gloria non dicitur!), but we're all making progress.
  • DougS
    I think Mark M. really hit the mark. With respect to the elevated language, the new translations affect the priest's role much more than the congregation's. Hopefully priests will practice the changing prayers aloud a few times before Mass--something musicians (and lectors, one hopes) know a little something about as well.

My experience this weekend was much like what I have read above: stumbling on "and with your spirit" but doing rather well with everything else.
  • The new text was way more impressive than I imagined it would be. I was just blown away. It is so high level, so elegant, so filled with decorum. I would swear that people were paying attention for the first time. Even the readers were serious. The whole Mass took on new significance.

New dawn indeed.
  • The National Shrine did a magnificent job, I think, given that it is not a parish and they have no idea who is in the pews. The ceremony retiring the old Sacramentary in the Crypt was very beautifully done and filled me with gratitude for all the blessings it had brought.

I took advantage of an off Saturday to then do the Vigil Mass, i.e., the first using the new translation. It went off beautifully. I have now been to a couple of Masses, and one priest told me that he was so focused on the words that he lost the melody and slipped into a monotonal chant. Better safe than sorry, and even stickler me didn't notice. The changes are printed in bold in the leaflet, and everything was done "properly," which is the word that everyone spontaeously attaches to the way the Rector likes things done. Also, at both Masses, we got the Roman Canon, hopefully a permanent switch for the Mother Church of US Catholicism (sorry, St. Pat's).

I am right with Jeff on the text: actually participating with it made a world of difference. All kinds of things are noticeable: "greatly sinned" chief among them, althoughI did glance sideways and no one was beating their chests. Overall, a wonderful spiritual experience. Onward!
  • There is an open thread post on Facebook by Thomas Peters, the 'blogmaster of American Papist, who asked a similar question.

Here is my response:
    I was disappointed and embarrassed at my parish. We had a new priest assigned to us this past August. It seems the congregation learning the revised Missal was not on his agenda; individual parishioners were on their own. (A series of pamphlets were available, but they didn't seem to be used.) The congregation responded as before for most if not all of the Mass. When you omit reciting the Creed; you know the vast majority wasn't ready.
  • CharlesW
    It was great. I walked in this morning expecting to do the English mass I had practiced with the choir. The pastor said he thought the new mass setting was too much to throw at the people all at once. He said we should do the Latin Ordinary that we are all familiar with. "You want Latin?" "No problem," I said. :-)
  • francis
    Charles

I am jealous. At the present time the Latin ordinary is not allowed in our church.
  • CharlesW, well my pastor took a different approach from yours. As if to say: while we're making changes, why don't I start offering Mass ad orientem too! He spoke about it in his homily, with our Lord saying in the Gospel: Watch! Father made the point that if you watch for the sun to rise while facing west, you'll never see it. Anyway, I saw or heard no angry rumbling or people storming out. I'd be curious what responses he gets this week--I'm sure some will be unhappy.

So with the combination of the stately new translation and the ad orientem, I was thinking--maybe this is what the Council had in mind!
    Musically, we've been singing Latin ordinaries at the Mass I attend, so that was unchanged. I still don't know the memorial acclamation (Save us, Saviour), and by the time I fumble for the sheet, it's over. I'm not worried, I'll get it eventually.
    Oh, and new hymnals too, so we have to get used to finding things in different places.
  • I don't think this weekend could have gone any more smoothly. The congregation has been preparing for a while--first in small groups starting last Advent, and then in short catechesis sessions before each Mass for the last 8 weeks. The priests have had weekly rehearsals for about 6 weeks now. It all came together very well. We switched from singing few of the dialogs to all dialogs and the Eucharistic Prayer. Still came in under an hour. We have always used weekly liturgy programs, and are currently producing 12-page booklets for each weekend with everything the congregation needs.

The two biggest funnies...

- At the first Mass of the new translation, the cantor jumped the gun and responded to the Sign of the Cross with "And with your spirit." He will probably be hearing about that one for a while.
    - At all 4 Masses, the congregation responded to "May the peace of the Lord be with you always," with a resounding "And also with you." We forgot to put that one in the liturgy program.

The participation in singing and speaking was higher than I can ever remember--probably a side effect of having to have their programs up and at the ready for the changes. It was lovely hearing booming responses.
  • Marc, would you mind sharing a PDF? I love to see what others are doing and how the programs are designed.
  • If you can post your email address, or send me an email (marc.cerisier (at) ic.cdom.org), I'll be happy to send a copy on. I'd rather not post it as it does have some copyrighted music in it.
  • Pray Tell posted this worship aid last week from the cathedral in St. Paul. Just beautiful.
  • fp
    Charles I'm jealous!....The choir is still learning Misa Luna.....and the pastor tried to sing some of the dialogues....from ML ("the bishop wants them"......) at least we don't have to suffer the Gloria for awhile!
    There were a total of 15 people showing up for the classes on the new translation, so they are now catching up....live......! It will take some time!
    FP
  • Carl DCarl D
    At our small Mass of 49 people last night, the only thing that wasn't totally up to par was about 50% "and with your spirit." People spoke the creed clearly and proudly, including the Dreaded Word Which Has Caused So Much Consternation.

All together, in unison, no mistakes. Same for the Confiteor and other responses.

We'll get the "with your spirit" eventually.....
  • BenBen
    To be honest, with the pew cards, stuff like the creed and gloria (music aside) is quite easy. It's those little things like "And also with you" that are really the trouble...