You won't want to miss this one! Mass Propers: rare pictures!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Don't miss installment no. 6 to learn about this:

(Can you see the picture? It is a PNG file)
  • DougS
    What a cheap shot at musicologists! I would hazard a guess that virtually all musicologists and historians working in this era realize the methodological pitfalls. Indeed, some musicologists use infrared and ultraviolet photography to reveal ink that was erased from vellum pages to make room for newer writings (usually literary or record keeping).
  • francis
    DougS

Can you clarify which part of this is 'cheap shot'. I am not a musicologist, but would like to understand your point.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Doug,

Do you think that book is really wrapped in an authentic MS ? I snapped a picture of it, but I don't know if it is authentic. It was in a place where I found many mediæval MSS.
  • DougS
    Francis,

"One of the huge mistakes musicologists and historians make is not realizing how LITTLE has been preserved through the centuries. They need to realize that we currently possess mere fragments, many of them preserved by accident. Yet, historians and musicologists so often forget this fact. So often, they make the terrible mistake of looking at what has survived and making assumptions based only on these things."

So often? Seems like quite an exaggeration to me, and borders on insulting the intelligence of a large group of people. I've never met a single musicologist or historian who thinks that "what we have now" is "all there is." Rather, what they do is ask questions like, "What do we have here? How might it have reached this place? And what does it tell us about life in another time?" Historians have to balance the evidence with reasoning. It's all part of the job, and it seems unfair to me to level such blanket criticism on the very people who have assisted church musicians in their quest to know what Church music history actually is.

--

Jeff,

Whether this one is a fake or not, I don't really know! How could I?

I do know that there are musicologists out there who work very hard in European church archives to unearth "hidden" manuscripts--sacred and secular. There is no question that music manuscripts were re-purposed, and part of the challenge is discovering the original purpose.
  • francis
    Thanks, DougS.

I understand your concern. However, in this age of revisionist history, I am sure you can understand Jeff,s, mine and many other's concerns. Especially in terms of the liturgy of the RR, sacred music is treated (very harshly by its own, I might add) as an archeological dig, and belongs consigned to the petri dish of opinion, dissection, documentation and then cataloguing. It is not treated as a living, developing entity that comes to us over centuries of time and growth. The science of this kind of examination has gone awry, and we will defend it from the scrutiny of those who are quick to dismiss it as no longer viable or relevant.

Am I being fair?
  • DougS
    Where specifically has "this science gone awry"? Are there individuals you could name? Most musicologists I know personally (or "know of" through reading their books and articles) are advocates of the music they study--William Mahrt being a prime example.
  • francis
    DougS:

I am not speaking of musicologists specifically, just the general tendency that this attitude toward 'things past' disembodies it from the fabric of our every day life. Mahrt is definitely on the authentic side of the matter, and is probably "THE prime example" as he leads the charge in actually employing his studies in the every day practice of leading chant in the liturgy.

Perhaps Jeff is more addressing the the 'leaps of faith' that are touted as fact, or as this is the way it used to be type of thing?
  • DougS
    Maybe you are right about what Jeff is addressing, Francis, but the "disembodiment" attitude/tendency that you are referring to is a problem of a very small minority. Most musicologists are very sensitive to the notion that music plays a meaningful role in the lives of real people. I would say general historians, in general, are less sensitive to this. Once I asked a historian working on early American Catholicism (material culture, at that) if she had any sense of what musical life was like based on what she had studied. She said (and I'm paraphrasing), "Wow! I don't really know. I didn't consider that music was all that important, but I guess I have read things about singing hymns..." Hmmm....

The value that musicology adds to the life of the Church, especially its music, is knowledge and understanding of what "tradition" actually is. There are many wonderful musicologists out there who are trying to answer this very question. See, for example,

http://obrechtmass.com/home.php

and:

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Road-w-DVD-Chanticleer/dp/B001BDZHC6

Both are projects spearheaded by musicologists (no clue if they are actually Catholic or not, not that it really matters). And both projects help us develop a better though incomplete understanding of what life was like for people living in the past, and the role music played in their spiritual lives.
  • francis
    DougS

Well, that is certainly reassuring. Yea, we sing hymns alright. It's about all we sing these days (whatever the definition of a hymn is... we all keep on trying to figure that one out).

I like to hold up an ideal to shoot for, and it winds up being much lower (in real life) than the ideal itself. Catholic Church musicians who actually make a living as such, well, they live a very precarious existence. And those who know what the Church actually prescribes in terms of her liturgical music, well, they live even a bit more on the edge, constantly challenging the 'status quo' to come up a bit higher. The sad part is that we are so low now (in general) that coming up a bit higher means singing hymns instead of I, IV, V praise songs. That is what can be so discouraging at times.

Then there are those who can only 'live' in the ideal world intellectually in their minds. They are completely removed from the reality of actually serving the liturgy (musically) because their knowledge and musical aspirations are so far above the real world (and the failing Church), that it is nearly impossible to reckon the two. I have been there. I know others who have been there. These are the 'caught betweens.' They are the ones who go out looking for the gold with their metal detectors, those who try to unearth what is truly valuable. They are the wayfarers, the prospectors, the searchers, those who are after pure gold. Problem is, you can't live a lifestyle like that for too long and expect to have a family life, so it becomes a real strain.

Then there are those who are willing to do anything to collect the check and eat 'in peace'. Not true peace, just willing to look away from the ideals and not cause waves so they can keep on collecting the check. Unfortunately these are the ones who sell their souls to mediocrity and novelty. This is what the likes of OCP represent... the constantly changing, shifting ground of sand on which no house will stand when the storms come through.

Then there are those who can somehow survive, living the challenge of both reality and championing the ideal and finding some kind of middle ground where some cannot live with them and some cannot live without them. These are the survivors, the movers, the shakers.

Then there are those who have found a haven where others of like mind can gather, those who truly know and can actually experience the beauty and the depth of our musical heritage. They are like those tucked under the wing of the Almighty, safe and secure and hidden away from the world. I suspect some monasteries enjoy that kind of protection, and a very few parishes around the world, perhaps.

Thank you for your work toward helping us to unearth the pearls and then sell it all to buy the Kingdom of God.
  • Humor caveat-
    I thought, according to Schenker, all music (including Praise n Worship) boiled down to I (IV) V I ?

Lots to chew on there, Francis. Eloquent and heart-felt, which I appreciate.

One thing that natters at me about constructing "Sheep/Goats" taxonomies is whether that presumes that this world and all that is in it, must be regarded simultaneously as an existential terminus AND an existential determinant as to the disposition of our eternal souls.

Ergo, shouldn't we "let God sort 'em out?"

In my four parish bailywick, I have a Mexican-American fellow, classical guitar in hand and two lady singers in tow, who provide music for funerals and weddings on an ad hoc basis. They're technically and formally not associated with "official music ministry." This gentleman is one of the finest exemplars of Christian charity and behavior that I've known, yet his skills and knowledge won't ever measure up to the minimum, basic standards according to any GIRM.
    What are we to do with folks like this, Francis, not theoretically, not ideally, but in real time?
  • DougS
    Charles, all *tonal* music. Schenker's Ursatz is an unfolding of the tonic triad.
  • francis
    CCCA

I have the same folk you do. We love them and we educate them toward the Chuch's desires. It's musical catechesis. We grow in the understanding of our faith over a lifetime. This is also true with liturgy.

Now we must be truthful. The Church went into experimental mode with the liturgy since the 60's in a way it never has in the history of the Church. This resulted in poor Catholic formation, bred an ignorance of the Church's laws and liturgical practices, and now we have to deal with the weeds and the wheat. We can't just tear out the weeds lest we tear out the wheat also. Let's see. How does that parable come to its resolve? O yes. We gather up the wheat and we burn the weeds. (the weeds are the content of music that have over fifty years proven to be fruitless.)

Bonfire anyone?
  • DougS
    I wouldn't say "never," Francis!

http://www.tcnj.edu/~joss/2008/2008 Fried.pdf [small PDF]
  • Kathy
    I wouldn't say "we" gather up the wheat and burn the weeds. Angels do that!
  • francis
    Kathy:

I am not referring to people and the end of the world, I am referring to the weeds of music that is in our liturgies. Simply a metaphor.
  • francis
    Doug:

From a two minute cursive reading, it seems this was a very different scenario than what we are dealing with today.

3) both before and during the reformist era, use of the vernacular in the liturgy reflected Bohemian desires for autonomy from the Roman church."

If they were desiring autonomy from Rome, then logically, this movement was in opposition to the Church, and not within it.

Our present problem has arisen from within the Church itself. That is why I say 'never before'.
  • DougS
    Good point, but I wonder if they mean autonomy in the sense of an autonomous Rite, as opposed to an autonomous Church.
  • francis
    DougS:

Well, I am not a musicologist, but, this is one man's opinion of what happened, so I can not put much stock in it no matter what it says. I have never studied the history of that time and locale, nor do I know anything about the sociopolitical spectrum of its culture and how it was relating to Mother Church. So one isolated paper on the internet, for me, doesn't amount to much of a hill of beans, no matter who writes it. Personally, I would have to see numerous accounts concerning the same issue, from different writers and varying perspectives and understand the writer's own motives and philosophies through which his ideas are filtered before even coming close to any kind of conclusion... don't you think?

Meanwhile, we have our own fish to clean, and it seems that our fish have been bottom feeding for fifty years.
  • DougS
    I don't really know what happened either, but I am glad you are least admitting the possibility that you are able to learn something you didn't know previously.
  • DougS
    Also, like Michael O'Connor over on the Chant Cafe blog, I would like to know the back story of the quote in question (taken from JMO's essay, linked above). What are some examples of egregiously fallacious musicological scholarship? I'm not saying there aren't any, just that this particular fallacy doesn't seem to be very prevalent in my experience.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for posting the "autonomy" quote, DougS. With the help of a web search, I found the paper and read most of it.

The author indicates that there was tension over language in the liturgy in the Czech lands for some time, inasmuch as they had received the Gospel from SS. Cyril and Methodius, who brought liturgy in Old Church Slavonic; but later bishops were appointed from the Bavarian hierarchy and brought Latin liturgy.

Regarding JMO's criticism of what he perceives to be an erroneous tendency among musicologists, I agree it would be easier to evaluate his point if he had given an example of the error.
  • francis
    DougS

...and BTW, anyone who wants an autonomous rite, automatically makes themselves an autonomous church, and worse, an anti-Christ.
  • DougS
    Francis, how does the phrase "Church sui iuris" fit into what you are calling the anti-Christ?
  • francis
    DougS

Either under the Pope or not.
  • DougS
    Given that there are now (and have been) autonomous rites in full communion with Rome, how does an autonomous rite necessarily equal an autonomous church?
  • francis
    If a church wants autonomy from Rome, it is not an autonomous rite, it is a schism. This, I fear, is what the AmChurch has been brewing for years.

http://americancatholiccouncil.org/
  • DougS
    Francis, we are finally seeing eye to eye, but this brings me back to my contention that we can't say the situation we are in now has "never" happened before. Let me explain:

We can be certain that some Czechs wanted nothing to do with Rome, but that wasn't really the driving force behind the use of Czech vernacular at the liturgy. If you had read the paper, you would have learned that the Pope allowed an abbey in Prague to celebrate the Roman rite in Old Church Slavonic, an unusual mixture at the time. What happened in the following years was not unlike what has happened since VII: the practice began to spread, eventually included the Czech language, and some people took it overboard. Indeed for a few radicals, the vernacular liturgy was seen as a gateway for reforming the Roman liturgy altogether (still sounds familiar, doesn't it?). But the real question that remains is whether or not the non-Latin liturgy approved by Rome could have grown organically into an authentic Czech liturgy equal in ritual status to the Slavonic liturgies in communion with Rome. Maybe this is what moderate but faithful church leaders in the Czech lands wanted, maybe not. We will likely never know because the efforts were cut short. The Church had other problems to deal with and this issue was tainted by the extremists.

So, much like today, the vernacular in the liturgy spawned radical contingents who, it seems, really don't care what Rome thinks, but I for one am not ready to say that Rome was "wrong" for allowing the Mass to be celebrated in the vernacular--just because these people ruin it for many.

There are models for authentic liturgical (and musical) growth. Those who reject the notion of growth and change altogether are just as much "the anti-Christ" as those who value change for its own sake.
  • chonakchonak
    Is that what you're worried about, Francis? Oh, don't take them as a serious threat to the Church. They're pretty irrelevant. Such groups haven't attracted any enduring following, and not one American bishop has launched a schism in the past fifty years, as far as I know.
  • francis
    DougS

I do not agree or see eye to eye, but it was an intersting discussion as it has further enlightened me on your perspective. Thanks.

Chonak

I don't worry about anything really. Of course they aren't a threat to the Church.

et ego dico tibi quia tu es Petrus et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam et portae inferi non praevalebunt adversum eam

On the other side of things, we American Catholics live in mass confusion (pun intended) BECAUSE of these influences which are 'allowed' to exist side by side with the Church in the name of the Church.

Do you have a music position in an RC Church that favors all types of music in the liturgy? Have you been to the "Catholic" liturgical conferences where they pray to the four winds in Aztec regalia?
  • DougS
    Francis,

What exactly are you disagreeing with?
  • DougS
    Let me lay this out so that there is a little more sequence to the discussion:

Francis: "The Church went into experimental mode with the liturgy since the 60's in a way it never has in the history of the Church."

Doug: "I wouldn't say 'never.' Here is a similar scenario."

Francis: "it seems this was a very different scenario than what we are dealing with today."
    "If they were desiring autonomy from Rome, then logically, this movement was in opposition to the Church, and not within it."

Doug (paraphrase): "Maybe it wasn't 100% schismatic. We don't really know for sure because there were mitigating factors."

Francis [referring to similarities between the Czech lands and the U.S. and supporting my contention that we actually have seen this scenario before]: "This, I fear, is what the AmChurch has been brewing for years."

Doug [actually supporting Francis with actual data]: "the Pope allowed an abbey in Prague to celebrate the Roman rite in Old Church Slavonic, an unusual mixture at the time. What happened in the following years was not unlike what has happened since VII: the practice began to spread, eventually included the Czech language, and some people took it overboard. Indeed for a few radicals, the vernacular liturgy was seen as a gateway for reforming the Roman liturgy altogether (still sounds familiar, doesn't it?)."

Francis: "I do not agree."

So where exactly is the disagreement?
  • francis
    DougS

This is getting tedious, and now I am feeling contankerous and pushed about the whole thing... but if you insist...

We can be certain

How did you arrive at this certainty?

that some Czechs wanted nothing to do with Rome,

Schismatics, apostates or heretics? Which branch did they represent?

but that wasn't really the driving force behind the use of Czech vernacular at the liturgy.

What PROOF is there of this? Maybe it WAS!

If you had read the paper, you would have learned that the Pope allowed an abbey in Prague to celebrate the Roman rite in Old Church Slavonic, an unusual mixture at the time. What happened in the following years was not unlike what has happened since VII: the practice began to spread, eventually included the Czech language, and some people took it overboard.

hmmm.... are you actually saying that the English speaking world has taken the vernacular issue overboard?!!! Nonetheless, the conclusion of the paper states:

Finally, to answer the question posed at the start of this paper: “was the effort to produce JK part of a conservative tradition to appease the Czech middle class or part of a more radical movement to reform the Roman liturgy?” Though it remains unclear precisely who is responsible for the creation of JK, it is obvious that it was not the undertaking of the conservative Roman Catholic clergy. While the groundwork for a vernacular liturgy was established over centuries from the time of the Slavic missions, the creation of JK is related to the early 15th-century work of Jakoubek of St?ibro and Hussite reformers intent on creating a liturgy in the vernacular, a reformist undertaking which was followed a century later by Martin Luther.

hmmm.... must have been heretics... their efforts were truly fodder for one of the greatest heretics of them all.

[We interrupt this commentary for a 'By Their Fruits Report' -It is now OK to sing (heretical) Lutheran hymns at our Catholic Mass.]

Indeed for a few radicals, the vernacular liturgy was seen as a gateway for reforming the Roman liturgy altogether (still sounds familiar, doesn't it?).

Yes... that is what we really want... to reform the Latin liturgy. We have GOT to get rid of this obsession with Latin!!! (Jeez... does the evil one ever come up with something new and different? Nah... same tactics over and over. Yawn.) What is this bug up our American you-know-whats? Is it the species Lutherinteruptus Rectumorum?

But the real question that remains is whether or not the non-Latin liturgy approved by Rome could have grown organically into an authentic Czech liturgy equal in ritual status to the Slavonic liturgies in communion with Rome. Maybe this is what moderate but faithful church leaders in the Czech lands wanted, maybe not. We will likely never know because the efforts were cut short. The Church had other problems to deal with and this issue was tainted by the extremists.

It was stopped. The movement was stopped. It ceased to be. God halted the effort through the Church, I suspect. Who else would stop it?

So, much like today, the vernacular in the liturgy spawned radical contingents who, it seems, really don't care what Rome thinks, but I for one am not ready to say that Rome was "wrong" for allowing the Mass to be celebrated in the vernacular--just because these people ruin it for many.

When vernacular becomes more important than the overall unity of the Church, then it becomes a defective motive. Motives are spiritually more important than outcomes. Unity will always stand above diversity or cultural preference.

There are models for authentic liturgical (and musical) growth.

And they are NEVER (there I go again using that N word) birthed in rebellion or opposition to the Church, but under her guidance and in obedience to her every wish. They are exactly like children... you give them enough leash to learn how to walk into the good... but when they start walking off a cliff, you pull back hard and fast for their dear life.

Those who reject the notion of growth and change altogether

Who is rejecting the notion of growth and change?

are just as much "the anti-Christ" as those who value change for its own sake.

Who says!?????????
  • DougS
    Francis: How did you arrive at this certainty?

Doug: Jan Hus, a Czech, was killed at the Council of Constance for heresy.

Do we really need to have witnessed this to be certain?

---

Francis: Schismatics, apostates or heretics? Which branch did they represent?

Doug: All of the above.

Do we really need to clarify this point?

---

Francis: What PROOF is there of this? Maybe it WAS!

Doug: The Pope allowed it.

---

Francis: must have been heretics... their efforts were truly fodder for one of the greatest heretics of them all.

Doug: Correct, the ones who took it overboard turned out to be heretics. The ones who had permission were not.

---

Francis: When vernacular becomes more important than the overall unity of the Church, then it becomes a defective motive. Motives are spiritually more important than outcomes. Unity will always stand above diversity or cultural preference.

Doug: I agree with this and have said nothing to the contrary.

---

Francis: Who is rejecting the notion of growth and change?

Doug: There are many, especially the sedevacantists.

---

Francis: [Quoting D: are just as much "the anti-Christ" as those who value change for its own sake.] Who says?!!! (Edited to fix C+P error)

Doug: The Church that excommunicated them, or no longer accepts them.
  • francis
    DougS

Do you actually believe that "The church that excommunicated them" was the act of the anti-christ?

God allowed the models of the other rites to flourish because they flourished under the umbrella of the church in good order. The Czechs chewed through the leash and went over the cliff... (see reference to children above)

We are not sedevacanists... we are Roman Catholics... have a Pope in Rome... etc. And boy, are we progressive here in the US of A! Did you watch any of the videos of the ACC?

Do you better understand my disposition?
  • DougS
    I said, above: "Those who reject the notion of growth and change altogether are just as much "the anti-Christ" as those who value change for its own sake."

You asked me, "Who says!?????????"

Referring to the sedevacantists and other groups like SSPX, I said, "The Church who excommunicated them."

No one called you a sedevacantist. No one said you weren't Roman Catholic. I am a Roman Catholic, too. I am not a sedevacantist.

I agree with what you're saying about the Czechs chewing through the leash. The point still stands that we have a lot of that going on, and that what the Czechs did isn't all that different from what is happening now.

So my question still stands, where exactly is the disagreement? You keep saying what I'm saying but still present it as if we are engaged in combat.
  • chonakchonak
    Francis: I think Doug omitted your question "Who says?"
    His answer: "The Church..." fits better in that context.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    DougS,

I certainly don't want to attack all musicologists.

However, I have seen the tendency in some of the CONCLUSIONS I've read by musicologists in JAMS and other places.

I'll keep a lookout for a good "case-in-point" — but (really) that wasn't the point of the blog. Or, it wasn't supposed to be the MAIN point.

Thanks for your comments!!!
  • DougS
    Thank you, Jeff, for stepping back in, and apologies for the big derailment above.

If you make undocumented conclusions based on only a few examples then you are making the same fallacy you accuse others of making. So please be careful to avoid such sweeping generalizations, especially if they aren't the central focus!

As a side note, I showed what you wrote to my wife, who also has a Ph.D. in musicology. She said, "Maybe he could have said that 100 years ago and it would have been true."