Chants for RCIA Rite of Acceptance?
  • Claire H
    Please, does anyone have a source for music for the antiphons for the RCIA Rite of Acceptance? (Being done at my parish this weekend).

The antiphon texts are the following:

"We praise You, O Lord, and we bless You."
    "Glory and praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ."
    "Come, my children, and listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord."

While we're at it, what about antiphons needed for other Rituals accociated with RCIA (Scrutinies, etc)? This is my first experience being involved in any of these.
  • lmassery
    I was wondering this same thing. We are doing it at my parish this weekend as well. Anyone have anything?
  • I composed today for our Rite of Acceptance in two weeks. I was having trouble uploading them, so I had to use the upload bin from the other post. If you use them, let me know how they work, so I can make necessary adjustments. Hopefully, more to follow.

rite-of-acceptance-chants.pdf
  • If I don't remark, I will be untrue to my own sensus, if I do, I invite derision. I'll take my eternal chance with the latter.
    This Sunday, Jesus Christ the Universal King, we'll have our second go-'round with Rite of Acceptance (we have a huge RCIA.)
    May I ask why folks (including our own RCIA personnel) are inclined to think that grafting sung ornaments onto the expressed texts of inquiry are necessary? I fully realize that many have made these sung attenuations of the "Rite" a cottage industry for decades, but has anyone considered that augmenting "CHRIST THE KING" with these interpolations neither invite participatio actuosa nor mean a hoot and a hollar in the long run of one's association with the RCC.?
    I've decided to "occupy" my new moniker literally for awhile. Jus' keepin' it real.
    GrumpyGrampy
  • Well, I'm not a fan of the RCIA ceremonial/texts, personally, and I'd rather just celebrate "Christ the King" (or the 1st Sunday in Advent in my case). I figured, though, since there was no music for the antiphons/acclamations that "all sing or say", I though I'd compose some, as inadequate as they may be. Meh, I tried.
  • CR, my grumpiness isn't at all related to your settings. I'm all for "mother nature abhors a vacuum," especially if a pastor decrees a need.
    I suppose I rail against an idolatry that is part and parcel of the invented post conciliar Church experts, who are so conveniently always local, that the indefatigable experts demand that we ritually accentuate (the rite occurs, amen) with musical settings, the disparate yet corporate intentions of our seekers, who are just happy generally to get through the Mass with a minimum of "shock and awe." Please.
    While I'm ranting, if you don't mind (if you do, read n' further)
    Doesn't some of the RCIA dictums contravene the maxim "lex orandi, lex credendi"?
    Particularly, how does dismissing the catechumens/candidates prior to the proclamation of the Creed and the whole Liturgy of the Eucharist assist in their direct assimilation of the rituals, not to mention the public proclamation of the Creed, which ironically is not part of their Easter Vigil experience, when they're ritually shown the door to "break open the word?"
    Yeah, I'm grumpy.
  • chonakchonak
    I saw some good news the other day: a writer stated that the RCIA, like the other rites of the Church (Baptism, Marriage, Funerals), is going to be issued in a new English version some day. This will happen through the work of ICEL and in accord with Liturgiam Authenticam. The writer figures that the RCIA's extensive "American adaptations" will simply go away, because the translations need to follow the Latin more closely. Those adaptations include texts, procedures, and rules added to the rite that just aren't in the Latin original. One of those American adaptations is the "Rite of Sending": apparently pretending that the Creed and the Liturgy of the Eucharist are still arcana to be hidden from the catechumens is an American idea. Maybe the catechumens will be better off if we stop sending them out. On top of that, dismissing the "candidates" -- who are already baptized Christians -- before the Creed and the Eucharistic Prayer would express a strange theology about their status, so I would like to see pastors stop doing that right away.
  • Charles, no worries. I completely understand and agree.
  • Claire H
    ClemensRomanus, thank you so much for sharing those chants. They worked perfectly! In fact, our DRE (who describe herself as a "Haas groupie") told me today that they were the most beautiful antiphons she's heard for an RCIA welcoming!