Book of Chanted Presidential Prayers
  • Has anyone ever notated all the Collects, Prayers over the Offerings, and Prayers after Communion from the revised Roman Missal to be chanted? If not full notation, at least annotated with the accents, flexes, mediants, et cetera? I'm going to try to teach my pastor how to chant his parts. I'm looking for either the simple or solemn tone, or both. In English, please. Latin is taboo here. :(

While we're on the subject, what about the chanted readings? Have they been notated and compiled, or at least annotated with accents, etc., for chanting?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I have been working up a document of the Collects with accents, flexes and mediants inserted in the same places in the text that Solesmes has inserted them in the new Antiphonale Monasticum.

I could have Advent and Christmastide finished very soon. Please let me know if you have an interest in getting a copy of it.
  • Mark P.
    Recto tono is appropriate too.
  • Richard, I would be interested in such a thing. Thank you.

Mark, I will have him do recto tono if he can't do the assigned tones from the Missal.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Attached is my file of pointed Collects for Advent and Christmastide. I hope they have been copied accurately.

I should mention that it is from project I am working on with the Liturgy of the Hours - and so this version is based entirely on what is found in the Latin Orationale of the Antiphonale Monasticum, vol. 2, from Solesmes - even with regard to layout! That explains the primary references being to the Office. Collects not used in the Proper of Seasons of the Liturgia Horarum are therefore not included.

The pointing style is the same as in the Solesmes Antiphonale, and for >90% of the prayers, the pointing is in the exact same place in the text as where Solesmes puts it in the Latin. (This was fairly easy given the very literal translation.)

A flex is indicated by a dagger: †
    A mediant is indicated by an asterisk: *
    The full stop is always placed immediately before the conclusion "Through our Lord," "Who lives and reigns," or "Who live and reign," and therefore is not indicated.

(A small handful of these have no flex, either because Solesmes left it out of the Latin, the example in the Roman Missal leaves it out, or in very few cases the word order was altered by translation so as to make its inclusion in the English awkward.)

Unlike the Latin (but as in the Roman Missal), the conclusions are written out. Here, they are pointed to correspond to the method described in the Roman Missal.

Those conclusions beginning "Through our Lord..." have both flex and mediant. The other conclusions only have a mediant (as in the Roman Missal).

I hope this is helpful.

P.S. In putting this project together, I found that singing these collects to th Simple Tone as pointed often enhance the intelliblility of these prayers, which has been called into question so often lately by critics of the new translation.
  • Gospel for Christmas Eve, Mass during the Night ("Midnight Mass" or "First Mass of Christmas")

I notated this fully for a recent priests' chant workshop, and they learned it easily. I recommend using G as do as opposed to C do, which will kill the voice of all but the most tenor priests/deacons!

I will eventually post this at my website as a Scorch file playing in G do.

(As this is not a presidential prayer, I am going to repost it as a separate discussion.)