• Billiesue
    We have just been assigned a new priest who believes that Full and Conscious Participation means a Karaoke sing along. What I mean by that is he feels that a choir has no place in the Mass but to sing with the congregation.
    At this time we ask the congregation to sing the Gathering,Gloria, Psalm Refrain, Communion Refrain, all the Responses and the Closing Song.
    We have by others standards to have one of the better music programs and musicians in the area. Our program has been built over a 12 year period. It has brought to us some very talented musicians and brought people from all the surrounding towns to our church to experience the progressive openiness of our Parish and to feel the Holy Spirit.
    I see nothing in the Music Sacram document that say's anything about one glorious sing along but instead a document of parts for all to play. I have read about the chant, polyphony, bringing back tradition, the Latin but not denining the use of other instruments and music when used properly.
    Our priest and the Liturgical Director that has worked with him for 15 years, has used this Karaoke method of music in every church that they have worked at. He doesn't like Latin, and wants to be louder than the Cantor, the Choir or the organ. He sings everything, even with the cantor trying to teach a part to the congregation. It is not always the right part note either.
    What can I do. I will certainly start loosing my musicians to the surrounding churches who will use there talent and their Passion they have for there Faith. My education has been to produce Quality not Quantity.
    Please send ideas and facts that I can present to him and his Liturgical Director. They are only comfortable with what is familiar to them and work within a very small box.

Music Director/Organist/Cantor
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Ask your priest how he looks at "full, conscious participation" with regards to the reading, sermon, and Eucharistic Prayer at Mass.

If he says that all in the congregation must read the readings along with the lector, recite the sermon with the priest, etc. etc. head for the hills.

If he says that they participate by listening and praying, you are safe.

The choir often proclaims the sacred text on behalf of the congregation, and this has always been the case.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Has he brought his Liturgical Director with him?

noel at sjnmusic.com
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    This is a tough one. Based on what you report here, it looks like you are dealing with an ideologue stuck in a failed model of the past. I'm not sure what I would do except to say that unless the choir has some unique function besides leading a sing along, it will collapse into mediocrity and dissolve. This is just the reality, as shown in the experience of hundreds of parishes. The new USCCB document Sing to the Lord is making steps in the direction of seeing that the choir has a unique role. You might present choice quotes from that. If he is unmoved, I'm not sure I would be willing to face this battle especially given the history here. I hate to say it, but I think I would walk.

STTL:

30. At times, the choir performs its ministry by singing alone. The choir may draw on the
    treasury of sacred music, singing compositions by composers of various periods and in various
    musical styles, as well as music that expresses the faith of the various cultures that enrich the
    Church. Appropriate times where the choir might commonly sing alone include a prelude before
    Mass, the Entrance chant, the Preparation of the Gifts, during the Communion procession or after
    the reception of Communion, and the recessional. Other appropriate examples are given in the
    section of this document entitled “Music and the Structure of the Mass” (nos. 137-199). The
    music of the choir must always be appropriate to the Liturgy, either by being a proper liturgical
    text or by expressing themes appropriate to the Liturgy.
    A major issue is that he has a pastoral responsibility to maintain the status quo of the music in the parish as he received it from the previous pastor.

All recommendations for change in STTL are tempered by the caveat that pastoral considerations music be applied, a loop hole for those who do not want to make changes. However, that door swings both ways. If the parish has an ongoing music program that is not flawed and obviously needs no immediate fixing, his responsibility as a pastor is to accept it under the same terms.

If he is coming in with dreams of throwing his weight around, you and all the parish musicians, should immediately act to block his plans.

Now, who might be able to advise what direction you must go to do this? Does this call for a meeting with the Bishop...or other ecclesiastical officer? Who is the correct person to go to?

If you choose to pursue this, I'd also have an alternate plan for getting out of there when and if the chant hits the fan.

I have a friend....Fulbright Scholar in Organ...13 years in one parish in the St. Petersburg Diocese...and then 7 more years in another one in the same diocese. New transplanted British priest comes in, does not hit it off well, criticizes my friend's job performance....inflames his insecurities...and then fires him. One would think that a clergyman in need of a job enough to leave his country and come to the US might be a bit more...understanding when messing with the employment of locals, no?

This Fulbright Scholar...with 20 years of loyal and successful ministry to the Catholic Diocese of St. Petersburg, Florida...I talked with him yesterday while he was at his new console. ..it is a Peterbilt...yes, he's driving a semi-truck over the road for a living, hauling loads across the US...

My letter to the editor of the diocesan Catholic paper concerning this was....never printed, for some reason or other.

So do be prepared to bail out....

noel at sjnmusic.com
  • Billiesue
    I am prepared to bail out. I don't need the job and I don't need the money. I'm doing this for one of our choirs who deserve better.
    Yes, the Liturgical Director came with him.
    It seems that some of the Parishioners have already gone to him and ask that the music program not be changed because of what it has done for the Parish and for the people. I don't think that is going to help.
    I do appreciate your comments. Keep them coming.
    Thanks
  • Jscola30
    I hate to suggest this, because often time this is seen as the "give the choir a bone moment" but as perhaps a compromise, how about a prelude and/or a piece after the communion antiphon/song?
  • Billiesue
    The latest news from the Liturgical Director that even the meditation time after the communion should not be done by choir alone. I do not know where they are coming up with all of this from. This changed (according to her) in the last few months!
    This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
  • incantuincantu
    "When the distribution of Communion is finished, as circumstances suggest, the priest and
    faithful spend some time praying privately. If desired, a psalm or other canticle of praise or a
    hymn may also be sung by the entire congregation" (GIRM 88).

The "communion meditation" does not exist. While singing after communion or after dismissal (the so-called "closing hymn") is a licit option, it may be a step in the wrong direction if emphasis has not been placed on congregational singing of the ordinary and the singing of the propers (by congregation or choir).
  • G
    'This changed (according to her) in the last few months"
    Hardly, the document has been out fro several years... (and not to be misogynistic, but how did I just know it was a "her"? I suppose because it takes one bossy gyno-American to know another.)
    Well since she obviously puts SOME stock in the documents, (SttL is not authoritative,) have a look at the current GIRM, Chapter II, The Structure of the Mass, Its Elements and Its Parts, para. 48, 53, 87 (note that "choir alone" is the FIRST option suggested for the communion itself, as opposed to the song after communion.)
    http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter2.shtml
    In Chp III. we read, "103. Among the faithful, the schola cantorum or choir exercises its own liturgical function, ensuring that the parts proper to it, in keeping with the different types of chants, are properly carried out and fostering the active participation of the faithful through the singing."
    Notice supporting the people's singing is not mentioned, per se.
    One could argue that by singing "the parts proper to it" the choir promotes the aspect of the people's active participation that is called LISTENING.

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • pipesnposaune
    So is it possible to have choir only during Communion?
  • Jan
    QUESTION: If your pastor asked you to choose 2 gregorian chant ordinaries & stick to them for a year, which 2 would you pick?
  • Jan
    (Do I need to start a new thread with this?)
  • GavinGavin
    Jan: I would recommend a new thread, and I do have an answer!
  • Jan
    Gavin--I'm going to connect to your excellent topic: HOW TO PROPERLY EVALUATION A MUSIC PROGRAM. See you there!
  • john m
    This sounds like the brand of pastor who will listen as the musician quotes authoritative norms by the dozen, and then will proceed to do as he pleases. I briefly had such a boss some years ago; he had made up his mind long before that it would be his way and he simply did not care what the Church's documents said. I'll keep your situation in my prayers.
  • Billiesue
    Pipes and others, not that this is going to satisfy our priest but we ask congregation to sing the "refrains" during the communion.
    I find that when people get back to their place in the pew, they will sing more of the entire song If they really like the song. Most people just are not comfortable in singing while receiving. Of course a lot of people can only do one thing at a time anyway.
    I also want to express my "Thanks" for the comments that have come in today on the "Help Please". It has given me comfort and support in a very trying time in our Parish.
    I continue to ask for suggestions on how to handle this.
    I have made up my mind to go into my next meeting on updating our Priest on what changes I have made , suggesting that for "Full and Conscious Participation" in our Parish we need to follow the document as fully and completely as possible, not just pick parts out of it as we see fit. I really think that Chant can even be incorporated into the Contemporary and or more Tradition Mass Setting.
    Of course, I'm not sure anymore what document either the Priest or Liturgical Director is getting their direction from!
    Certainly not any that I have read. Believe me, in the last few weeks. I have read all I can get my hands on with as many updates and Critique's as possible.
    Thanks again.
    On the question of a choir only communion, this is the first GIRM option: sing the antiphon, and with COMMUNIO we can sing it until everyone has received. This period is, IMHO, the worst time to insist on congregation singing. People are so relived to not have to sing while receiving communion. We sometimes put in a congregational hymn following communion and that doesn't seem to create too much of a distraction.
  • Felipe Gasper
    You know, Jeffrey, I am really starting to think the same way you do vis-à-vis congregational singing at communion.

On the one hand, there are still a lot of people out there, I think, who consider communion to be “just me ’n’ Jesus” time. THAT mindset must be contradicted, and a great way to do this would be to have congregations sing throughout the reception of communion.

But, there is a lot of physical activity during communion in which singing could be a minor interference.

One compromise would be a short, tuneful-but-not-trite refrain that paraphrases/translates the proper communion antiphon. Or to restrict communion music otherwise to pieces with short, learnable refrains.

But I look out, week after week, and many of the same folks who will indeed pick up the hymnal for the congregational entrance hymn, who will sing the resp. psalm response (even when it’s new each week, as it is in my parish), and who sing the bona-fide congregational parts with gusto--these same people are mute at communion.

It’s very frustrating, since we really do try, in my parish, to push congregational singing during communion. That’s what I’ve inherited, but it’s also status quo in American parishes to try, at least.

Maybe the time has come for everyone to re-evaluate that practice. Of course I know folks on this forum will be receptive to that idea, but it will be a very hard sell to a lot of folks, especially those with just enough liturgical background to know that there are times and places for different things, but not enough exposure to the non-mainstream of thinking in which the idea of choral singing at communion largely survives nowadays, at least in the U.S.
    This forum has enough years of experience to write its own recommendations to the US Bishops...and it may be time to start.

noel at sjnmusic.com
    Yes, this is doctrine among the music establishment, constantly pushing people to sing sing sing during communion. it is a holdover from Music in Catholic Worship, which suggests this in the midst of a very silly misinterpretation over the GIRM (which refers to the communion and it is rather obvious that the folks did up that document didn't know that there is such a thing as a communion antiphon). It is a pathetic display to see cantors pushing for this week after week, year after year. We had a new music director come to our own parish some years who and tried to impose this but it never stuck. everyone breathed a massive sigh of relief when she departed.

In any case, an experienced organist told me some years ago that if there is anything obvious to him about Catholic people it is that they do not want to sing during communion. that struck me and stuck with me.
  • pipesnposaune
    I have to second Felipe- our congregation will sing throughout the Mass except at Communion. Our church is not ready for the Latin antiphons, as much as I love COMMUNIO! Any thoughts on how to proceed? English antiphons? (Sorry to impose on this thread, Billiesue. Do hang in there.)
  • Billiesue
    No problem pipes, it's all about the same thing. Singing, When and IF!
  • GavinGavin
    I'm not budging. I still believe that unless you have your mouth open to receive the Sacrament, you should be singing at Communion. This has been an issue I have fought with and fought with and lost hair over until:

"One compromise would be a short, tuneful-but-not-trite refrain that paraphrases/translates the proper communion antiphon. Or to restrict communion music otherwise to pieces with short, learnable refrains."

This is what I introduced. I use the proper seasonal psalm at communion, sung by the congregation, with the text of the entire psalm and a doxology when we've used enough verses. This has turned my congregation from being mute to ANY hymn at communion to taking part in the refrain of the psalm. They are truly externally unified in their singing of the psalm, and they have their taste of "active participation" by hearing the cantor sing the verses of the psalm.

I highly recommend my "communion psalm" practice to anyone. I think it's the easiest fulfillment of the requirements of the GIRM that people "express their union in spirit by means of the unity of their voices."
    Of course I personally love singing during communion ;)
  • Michael O'Connor
    I've mentioned this on a different forum, but the Church's insistence on emphasizing the communal aspect of communion has not been accepted by most Catholics IMO. The act of receiving communion is an individual one and even the lightly catechized understand the profound impact it has on their soul. The Church can educate and the liturgists can stamp their feet, but for most it really is a "me and Jesus" moment. This is made more true by communal responses for the rest of the Mass.
  • GavinGavin
    Well the advantage of using the Church's texts in a responsorial format is that they have that unity present, which means you don't have to emphasize the communal aspects of communion by drivel texts about "Us us us, it's aaaaaall about us!" The Church intends to teach without shoving it down their throats - oh, and how can I forget, "Let Us Be Bread"? Rather, let them together sing "Taste and see how good the Lord is" or "Be merciful, o Lord, for we have sinned", depending on the season. Or better yet, the text the Church appoints if you can pull it off. Chant is even more effective because not only does the communal singing destroy the "Me and Jesus" mentality, but extends it from "the congregation and Jesus" to "the whole Church of all places and ages (universal) and Jesus". Let's put the Communion back in Communion :P
  • Jan
    Well put Michael.

No crime in a 'me and Jesus' moments every once in a while (call me old fashioned).

Then there's the walking, singing, holding the 'missalette' then putting it under the armpit to take communion in the hand part that has never work for me.

One of the most meaningful moments in my life was receiving Communion at Solesmes (while the monks sang the communion chant of the day), the priest held up the Host, looked me in the eye at said: "Corpus Christi". I ran to the bookstore, bought every book they had on chant & the rest is history.
  • Felipe Gasper
    Michael and Jan,

There is a good reason it’s called comm-UNION. :)

“Me and Jesus” moments happen properly in private devotions, not in the (public) liturgy. The teachings on the communal aspect of Communion has been more widely accepted than the Conciliar teaching on congregational Latin.....

Jan - try communion on the tongue?
  • priorstf
    Jan and Michael - I agree with both of your comments. Communion is a time for reflection for many people. Their union with the next PIP is through their reception of Christ, not through through their "join us in singing hymn number umptyump". I was most disappointed when I didn't find in SttL that this would be a good time for the choir to perform its key ministerial work. I can understand, however, that it could devolve into "and now it's showtime folks" if not done reverently.

Jan nails it with the already-existing calisthenics going on. I don't see a lot of folks carrying books up to communion. Indeed the sound volume decreases throughout communion, because people returning do not rejoin and gradually there are fewer and fewer people engaged. Perhaps some of the best luck we have is with the antiphonal format hymns. The short antiphon is in the PIP booklets while the Gather verses are sung by the cantors/choir. (The cantors sing until the choir has received communion and can take over.) The short responses can be quickly picked up and people can sing them while walking. But once they've received, silence reigns. It's a hard habit to break.
  • GavinGavin
    Prior, I have the opposite happen: people join the chant after they receive, so the last repetition can really "raise the roof". I've been getting on people about "sing while you walk", but it's hard to stick.

I should point out that just because singing Gather songs goes weakly doesn't mean that singing during communion is wrong. I think I've shown that vigorous singing during communion IS possible and easy, and more in line with the mind of the Church than "kneel and shut up while the choir sings for your you and Jesus time".
  • priorstf
    Gavin - maybe if we went back to posting the numbers! It could just be they don't remember the hymn number.

Someday I should get a decibel monitor to chart things. The only one I note for sure is that the loudest singing in the ordinary is when we do the Greek Kyrie and Latin Agnus, but our pastor is averse to doing any sort of Latin Mass because the people don't understand it. But that's yet a different problem.
  • According to St. Teresa of Avila (hardly a “just me ’n’ Jesus” type) the time after receiving our Lord in communion is the ideal time for contemplative prayer, which of course is silent, but always in deep union with the Church, a union that is qualitatively deeper than singing another hymn together. Cardinal Arinze, Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship, has taught that silence during this period of the Mass can be very valuable. It seems to me that any music during this precious time, such as a motet or chant or gentle organ piece should support recollection.
  • francis
    Yes, I tend to have the same sentiment as St. T., but I have been corrected about it in other posts here.
  • Billiesue
    Hey, time out guys. I appreciate all the comments and all are good. However tomorrow I'm going to my lynching Party!. The meeting with the Liturgical Director and the Priest. I'm not sure what I am up against.
    I'm trying to get all my information about the recommendations of this document together.
    My question is, if I go in there with the copies of the MusicaSacra "A Critique of Sing to the Lord"quotes, how much weight do you feel that will hold???????
    I have made copies of that and The Authentic Update. That along with the bulletin from the April 27, 2008 Mass from St.Patrick Cathedral, New York showing but places for Assembly Singing and Choir with and without Assembly. Any more ideas for me.
    Pray for me.
  • GavinGavin
    I suspect that a document from CMAA would hold no weight whatsoever. I agree you should highlight that which is good in Sing to the Lord. Another couple documents to use would be those from Benedict XVI, such as Sacramentum Caritas and Summorum Pontificum. And it's a great move to hold up the papal liturgies as a model.

In all uncharitable candor, I say run and don't look back. But if you think it's worth fighting, those are my suggestions. That way you can't be told "well such and such document is irrelevant these days."
    Please give us an update.
  • francis
    You have my prayers and thoughts.
  • Billiesue
    Tune in tomorrow, Thanks
  • john m
    "To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day." (Winston Churchill)

I will pray that your pastor and liturgical director will show themselves to be builders not destroyers.
  • Jan
    Good luck Billiesue.
  • G
    Prayers, and good wishes, BillieSue.
    Although a paper from the CMAA doesn't, I think the GIRM quotes ought to have weight, they certainly trump SttL.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Michael O'Connor
    Good luck BillieSue! Go in with the GIRM And SttL, since those are your "working documents" that will hold water with the Liturgist. Be prepared to give on some things to get what you really want. I'm sorry to say, though, that if your priest has his way, your fine choir members will look for a place that values their efforts. Why bother having a choir at all?
  • Michael O'Connor
    Gavin,

You certainly do stand by the Church's line (but I suspect that professional liturgists have exaggerated it) on this one and I wish you luck. In my experience, the PIP is no dummy. He/She won't sing crappy songs and he/she knows instinctively that Communion is a sign of the Church's unity, but that it is a powerful encounter with Christ directly. One trumps the other in a very natural way that I think the Church should examine this historical and psychological attitude more closely rather than dismissing it. In the EF there is none of this attitude that says "sing or or you are not expressing your unity!" mindset. The two liturgies are supposedly two parts of the whole Roman Rite after all.
  • GavinGavin
    Michael, I wouldn't dispute the validity of either model, congregational or schola. In fact, my rule is that at communion if it's not responsorial than it's not congregational. I no longer admit any hymnody at Communion, and when we don't have the psalm we have the antiphon sung in some shape or form. Or today, since we didn't have a choir, at the school Mass I played an organ piece. I would agree with anyone who says singing a hymn at Communion is hugely impractical, but add "so what ARE you going to have the congregation sing?" Obviously the EF is a different case altogether, and I'd say that BOTH models are correct. It's only a matter of whether the unity is externally manifest (congregational singing) or not (schola provides music). I think the OF has a preference towards congregational singing, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that's an absolute every-Mass principle.

EDIT: maybe it isn't in the best taste to rant about how much I don't like the PIPs. But it is sufficent to say I don't share your high view of them, Michael.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Prayers all around. Including that Gavin's hair will grow back. I can live with chant at Communion - and if there is a refrain that is accessible (a la Taize style) great. Some will sing; many will not. The Orthodox sing the same refrain every week "Receive the Body of Christ, Taste the Fountain of Immortality" over and over until everything is finished and they tag on three Alleluias (everything is always in threes) to close it off. Oh, it's so much easier.