Looking for Ira Justa Conditoris chant music
  • Can anyone direct me to a copy of the Gregorian chant notation for the Matins hymn, Ira Justa Conditoris (Feast of the Precious Blood - also used during Lent?)

Also, where can I find a translation (preferably a literal one) of Omni Die Dic Mariae (all 50-some verses)? And finally, adding to my angst, I am also seeking translations for the 2 following chants: 1)Immaculata, and 2) O Virgo Pulcherrima. If someone could help me out with even one of the above requests, I would be so relieved!
  • From the Nocturnale Romanum (Hartker, 2002) I've taken page 202*-204*. Here you can find the Hymn of Pretiosissimi Sanguinis D.N.J.C. I maked a scan of it as an attachment.
  • Ben, I am deliriously happy to receive this! I spent a lot of time searching for this hymn. Thank you so much!
  • aldrich
    Fifty verses of Omni die dic Mariae? I have sixty verses. I'll try translating it for you. Beautiful hymn. As for the Marian hymns, I'' try translating them too.
  • You are correct, Aldrich, there are sixty verses to "Omnie Die." What a feat that would be, to translate all of them! There must be something really good contained within it though, if St. Casimir was buried with it. I have come to a dead end in my own search for it. My bulb is too dim, but I can pray that the Holy Ghost enlighten you!
  • aldrich
    Expeditus, here are my translations. I could not find a text for Immaculatam, so I have no attachment for it. My translations are placed beside the chant (yes, all sixty verses of Omni die notated). Please note for the second verse, the line

[...] say "Happy Mother"; say "Blessed Virgin."

is more appropriately translated as

[...] sing the Happy Mother; sing the Blessed Virgin.

with the sense of

celebrate the Happy Mother and Blessed Virgin in song.

The translations are not metred,though.
  • aldrich
    Expeditus, I cannot attach the .pdf for Omni die. The file is more than 1Mb. Would you mind giving me your email? I'm rather untrustworthy of online storage.
  • aldrich
    I uploaded it anyway.

http://www.4shared.com/document/hw54ya-3/Omni_die_dic_Mariae__2_.html

Please notify me when you have downloaded it already.
  • aldrich
    I didn't see the parallel discussion you have regarding these Marian hymns. I'll be searching Immaculatam from my copy of Cantus selecti.
  • Aldrich, this calls for the appropriate use of all capital letters: I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I HIT THE JACKPOT TODAY! (I actually screamed it audibly in my house just now.) What a score/translation of beauty! I immediately printed off the pages, and it is simply gorgeous to look at on paper....60 verses! The richness of the text...I just knew that St. Casimir must have had the inside-track on its contents. May select blessings descend on you for laboring to share this with all of us.
  • I am what I would term, a "dangerous bumbler." Well-intentioned, but a bumbler, nonetheless. This point was driven home to me again this past Saturday, when I handed out a translation to our children's choir. A voice spoke up, "We aren't supposed to worship Mary." I looked at my translation, and there it was: "Worship her.." I was moving fast and frantic when I was putting things together, and it never even registered in my mind. We had to clear things up with the choir regarding that. I have the weighty power to lead people into heresy and apostasy!
  • aldrich
    Thank you very much. Omni die is my favourite Marian sequence. If you notice, the file I shared is part of a larger book, which is on the Rosary chanted in Latin, I made for my choir. I'd be hypocritical if I don't admit having purposely made it the default hymn for the chanted Rosary I composed. I could have uploaded it yesterday but my remaining work with the third book for Holy Week I am formatting prevented me. As for your translation on "worship," I see no reason to be worried about it, in terms of the original meaning of the word. "Worship" in Old English referred to two acts, which we now define as latria and dulia. When "worship" is used to refer to the Godhead, it takes the sense of latria, that of worship as we immediately understand today. When it is used, however, to refer to the Saints, to the Blessed Virgin, &c., it takes the sense of dulia, that of veneration. I have taken the development of the meaning of worship into account when I translated "colere" as "to honour" instead of "to worship."
  • aldrich
    Here's Immaculatam.
  • Thank you for going the distance, aldrich, to share all of these gems with me. So much for that stereotype of the territorial musician!
  • aldrich
    Expeditus1, I just discovered you were also searching a setting of the Litany of the Precious Blood from a discussion I have started. So here's my setting.