falling in love with the DIES IRAE (again)
  • JamJam
    Just came back from a beautiful EF High Mass for All Souls'. (Here in Dublin. The Latin Mass chaplaincy is wonderful... they have a daily EF low Mass--or two--and a two EF Masses, one silent, one sung, on holy days. Can't make a Sunday high mass since I'll be in Divine Liturgy but feasts I can and will go to.)

I have decided that I can't get enough of the Dies Irae.

Can you please direct me to recordings of all the different beautiful, wonderful arrangements thereof? I am willing to buy whole CDs of the Requiem Mass and/or sacred music in general if they come highly recommended. I would also like free recordings, if they exist. I already have recordings of Mozart's, which is an obvious one. The one I heard today was just the chant, I'm assuming from the Graduale.

thank you all!
  • One of my favorites is from G.F. Anerio's requiem. I don't believe the entire thing has been posted anywhere online, but for a teaser go here, click the music notes to the left of "Movement 3," and you should get a little player at the bottom left to listen.
  • JamJam
    aww... certainly there are more? I want a huge collection.

at least tell me your fav arrangements and I can find recordings of them myself, if need be!

thanks, Mr. Thompson, for your suggestion... I will totally look into it.
  • The Mozart and Verdi Requiems are the two most famous settings
  • Chaswjd
    There is a setting in the Brumel Requiem. It is done by New York Polyphony.