Recording help
  • rogue63
    I have a Superscope PSD340, with two Audix UEM 81 condenser mics, which I found in the closet of my classroom. I've used them recently to make some nice recordings of students and rehearsals, but it only records to CD-R or CD-RW----no USB capability; it must have been made before flash drives, memory cards, etc., were widely available. I'd like to keep making recordings without having to waste a whole CD on one or two tracks which then get finalized. Any suggestions on equipment to purchase? Something that uses a more portable and flexible recording medium? Something that would interface directly with my PC?

I'm mostly recording my two children's choirs, classroom recorder, and a few percussion ensemble things. Also my late-night men's schola.
  • BenBen
    I'm quite satisfied with my Zoom H4n (more info)(See it on Amazon). It has 2 mics, and 2 "combo inputs" (each combo input can either accept an XLR or 1/4" cable). It stores to SD card, can act as a sound card for your computer (use the mic or inputs as a mics or inputs to your computer, or as an interface, as you mentioned), and can also be mounted. You can connect it via USB to download the files, or to use the interface function.

It also has built in compressors and limiters. You can record either both mics, both inputs, or all 4 at the same time. It can record in various bit-rates, and various formats. And you can hold it in one hand. It's really quite a nifty recorder. Did I mention it can also tune your instruments? I'm very satisfied with it. It'll set you back about $250-$300, but if that's not a problem, it's well worth it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I recently purchased a Zoom H4n and have been quite pleased with it, too.
  • Carl DCarl D
    The rewritables are useful in this case, but realize that they don't ever actually ERASE anything. They just mark a spot on the disk as "no longer in use". So if you're using 10% of the disk on each recording, you'll be able to use them about 10 times.

But that can still save a lot of money and reduce the recycling load.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Fantastic! That would have saved me quite a bit of plastic over the last couple of years. This whole -R -RW +RW thing is just so complicated....