The (words of the) New Translation of the Propers!!!!!!!
  • Kathy
    Oh. My. Goodness. I have never in my life heard words like we are going to hear in the new translation of the proper antiphons of the Mass.

Back in the day I used to like reading Dave Barry's (early) columns. As funny as they started, they just kept getting funnier as you went along. The antiphons are like that, mutatis mutandis. They're the sort of prayers where you get "into" it early on, because they are clear and good.

And then, and then--you're just carried away into beauty and goodness and truth.

The Introit for the Second Sunday of Advent:
    O people of Sion, behold, the Lord will come to save the nations, and the Lord will make the glory of his voice heard in the joy of your heart.

I have never heard anything this beautiful. Simple, Anglo-Saxon words saying the most extraordinary thing. You can keep your eagles wings because this is better. I've read all the major English poets and many of the doctors of the Church, but I've never heard anyone make a promise quite like this: The Lord will make the glory of his voice heard in the joy of your heart.
  • Beautiful... and well worth singing, I should think ;)
  • Kathy
    Nag, nag.