• JamJam
    I was just wondering how Catholics respond/react to instances of liturgical abuse in their churches. As I'm not Catholic it's not my place to talk to the priest or tell the bishop or anything, but when I see it in otherwise "orthodox" parishes it makes me want to tell someone. So... I came here?

Basically I went to Mass last Sunday at St. Peter's Church in Dublin, which is a beautiful church well-known for its architecture. I adore this building, it is majestic, castle-like, and right near my house. I thought, what better way to enjoy the architecture from the inside than to attend Mass there? But when it came time for communion, right after the consecration a team of women surrounded the altar, received communion in the hand before the priest did, and then all consumed the host at the same time with the priest. These were of course the EMCs who later spread out around the sparsely-populated Mass in order that communion might take ten minutes instead of twenty-five.

I don't want to seem like I am being judgemental or anything but it makes me seriously uncomfortable when this happens, since in general I believe in the validity of the Catholic sacrament, which makes me want to cherish it and see others cherish it. I guess it is best for ecumenism if I only go to Latin Masses, when I do get the urge to attend somewhere...?

If this is out of line, let me know. I just wanted to see what Catholic folks do when they are in foreign parishes and come across things like this.
  • bgeorge77
    One of the first lessons I had to learn as a young boy in Texas is that when a mosquito bites you, you can't itch the bite, nor touch it at all, nor even really THINK about it... or else it will get worse. All you can do is avoid the kinds of places where mosquitoes congregate.

Thusly with liturgists.
  • You have to pick your battles. The biddies eating Jesus with the priest wasn't so much the abuse, as having that many EMHCs (or any?) to begin with. And I'm not sure that's even a black-letter-law violation; just a gross lapse in taste. I've seen parts of the Ordinary left out willy-nilly, recorded music played behind the homily and the distribution, "This is "the" Body..." said at the consecration (over and over, so it wasn't just a slip) ...all in the wonderful Diocese of Youngstown. I dropped the dime once, but if I did so even at the most flagrant abuses, I'd soon be dismissed as a crank, because it really is that bad out there.

Oh, and weekly distribution of the Eucharist under both species has been a black-letter violation since 2005. You want to go to the mat for that one?
  • francis
    some things to read

http://www.catholic.com/documents/liturgical-abuses

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html

There is a chapter at the end of this doc that explains Remedies numbered:

1. Graviora delicta
    2. Grave Matters
    3. Other Abuses
    4. The Diocesan Bishop
    5. The Apostolic See
    6. Complaints Regarding Abuses in Liturgical Matters

While bgeorge and Jeffrey might be right in that pointing out abuse can invite scorn or such, to turn our heads is to participate in the abuse ourselves, and we are held accountable in the end if we ignore the problem.

I am not sure about the validity of the Mass if the priest does not consummate the sacrifice first by himself, which is probably written about in canon law, but it is a serious issue.
  • CharlesW
    As they say, the difference between a liturgist and a terrorist, is that you can reason with the terrorist. It's impossible to reason with some of these folks because they don't realize they are doing anything wrong to begin with. We are the ones who are wrong because we are uncharitable, judgemental, etc., and on and on. I have no answer to this.
  • francis
    If there is no reasoning with those who do not realize they are doing wrong, especially if you approach them in charity and good will, then I suspect they know they are doing something wrong and don't want to hear about it. That makes it even more serious.

“Certainly the liturgical reform inaugurated by the Council has greatly contributed to a more conscious, active and fruitful participation in the Holy Sacrifice of the Altar on the part of the faithful.”[10] Even so, “shadows are not lacking”.[11] In this regard it is not possible to be silent about the abuses, even quite grave ones, against the nature of the Liturgy and the Sacraments as well as the tradition and the authority of the Church, which in our day not infrequently plague liturgical celebrations in one ecclesial environment or another. In some places the perpetration of liturgical abuses has become almost habitual, a fact which obviously cannot be allowed and must cease."
    Redemptionis Sacramentum, P4
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • francis
    and on:

[7.] Not infrequently, abuses are rooted in a false understanding of liberty. Yet God has not granted us in Christ an illusory liberty by which we may do what we wish, but a liberty by which we may do that which is fitting and right.[18] This is true not only of precepts coming directly from God, but also of laws promulgated by the Church, with appropriate regard for the nature of each norm. For this reason, all should conform to the ordinances set forth by legitimate ecclesiastical authority.

[8.] It is therefore to be noted with great sadness that “ecumenical initiatives which are well-intentioned, nevertheless indulge at times in Eucharistic practices contrary to the discipline by which the Church expresses her faith”. Yet the Eucharist “is too great a gift to tolerate ambiguity or depreciation”. It is therefore necessary that some things be corrected or more clearly delineated so that in this respect as well “the Eucharist will continue to shine forth in all its radiant mystery”.[19]

(the more you read this, the more weighty it becomes to deal with the abuse and ignorance that abound.)
  • Baptist churches have their sound guys, Catholic churches their liturgists.
    The Baptists have an excuse - no one on staff has training, nor a degree in liturgy. Catholics have no excuse, since they, in their weekly offerings, have paid for the priest to be trained in liturgy.

Priests who empower or even just permit people to be liturgists should leave the priesthood. They do not understand their job.
  • So in a parish of 2,000 families with ONE resident priest, who has to celebrate one daily mass each day, 4 - 5 weekend masses, take Communion to the sick, counsel people, hear confessions, and attend to all spiritual matters in the parish on a daily basis, the priest should also PERSONALLY be responsible for every single thing that a trained and competant liturgist could do?

Be careful what you say. A trained liturgist who is FAITHFUL to the Church and obedient to his or her pastor, who, ideally, is also faithful to the Church, can not only be a welcome relief to a priest, but can greatly enhance parish liturgies and add great reverance, beauty, and solemnity to them.
  • BenBen
    Paix,

You are totally right. Many of the things I do when Asst. MCing for diocesan Masses, and MCing for parish Masses would definitively fall under the category of liturgist, such as some of the "liturgical choreography," as I like to call it. It's not liturgists that are the problem. It's nutty liturgists that are the problem. A good one definitely takes a load off the pastor's shoulders, but unfortunately, they've gotten such bad reputation (rightfully so).
  • francis
    Yea, nutty is a problem. Are there more nutty ones than good?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The problem is the Liturgist job description, not the job title.

Usual job description:
    Design liturgies!

Revised job description:
    Open the book. Read the book. Do the what the book says.
    Make sure other people know what the book says.
    Help other people do what the book says.
    Give evil eye to people who do things other than what the book says.
    Plus, do or oversee the following practical duties:
    -Care, keeping and restocking of liturgical items and supplies (linens, candles, vestments, books, incense, wine, etc...)
    -Scheduling of participants
  • francis
    good Adam. Can you send this to all diocesan offices for their files?
  • JamJam
    so you think that is particular abuse may have affected the validity of the Mass?

(I also want to add that one of the EMCs brought the reserved sacrament from and replaced it in the tabernacle afterwards. Perhaps this is in the EMC job-description as well. I wouldn't know because my experience of EMCs is limited to those times I go to Catholic Mass.)

I mean, were I Catholic, I would inform the appropriate people right away without hesitation. Even if it was a relatively minor but obnoxious abuse like the recorded music playing during the consecration. (I attended mass once where the consecration was turned into a priest-opera with a little symphony in the background. it made me uncomfortable too.) It's not my place to do so in this case, but if it does affect the validity of the Mass that would be a scary thing that might require a quick letter to the bishop even from me. No? I mean, I can't imagine going to Mass as a faithful Catholic and just receiving bread and wine, thinking I'm taking communion. God has a special grace for the hoodwinked I'm sure, but still. wouldn't that be terrible? how can you turn a blind eye to such?

in other news, I have cleared it with work so that I can attend the Latin Mass on All Saint's Day here in Dublin. this I truly look forward to. I hope it is a high Mass--but on such an important feast day, surely it will be.
  • BenBen
    @ Francis
    I second the motion.
  • BenBen
    @Jam

The abuses that actually make the Mass invalid are really quite few. Off the top of my head, I think it's just:

-Wrong type of bread, or no bread
    -Not saying the words "this is my body" and "this is ... my blood"
    -The priest not intending to consecrate

I think that's about it, so be at peace about that.
  • JamJam
    ah, ok. good to know.
  • There is also another factor to consider regarding the validy of the Mass: the minister has to be a validly ordained priest.
  • JamJam
    I would hope that goes without saying? but yeah. of course, that.

the original question still stands, though. how do you guys deal with liturgical abuse?
  • Kathy
    I'm not sure there is always a particular answer. Not sure what you're looking for here, or why you are asking.

How do the Orthodox deal with problems in your Church? Is there one particular way to address things?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    How do the Orthodox deal with problems in your Church?

My apologies to Jam, but I can't help imagining a very old Russian priest with a heavy accent:
    "There are... no problems in our Church."
  • Regarding Jam's original question, what the poster described is an abuse. According to Ecclesia de Mysterio:

To avoid creating confusion, certain practices are to be avoided and eliminated where such have emerged in particular Churches:

extraordinary ministers receiving Holy Communion apart from the other faithful as though concelebrants;
    association with the renewal of promises made by priests at the Chrism Mass on Holy Thursday, as well as other categories of faithful who renew religious vows or receive a mandate as extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion;
    the habitual use of extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion at Mass thus arbitrarily extending the concept of "a great number of the faithful".

===

I hope this helps.
  • JamJam
    I think I may have met that priest, Mr. Wood. :)

I guess I'm asking because I know it's not my place to say things but I still can get uncomfortable and I simply cannot imagine what it would be like for a faithful Catholic to sit there being uncomfortable and I guess I was really sad that the liturgy did not match the architecture for beauty and mystery and tradition and transcendence but the people are certainly faithful in their devotions to the saints and the blessed virgin and I don't even know because I don't want to sound judgemental but it's just something I wanted to talk about because I can't just sit down and see it and carry it around on my heart for forever

*deep breath*

okay. In the Orthodox church, first order of business would be to approach the priest about it. Second order of business would be to approach the bishop. Bishops have a lot fewer priests to deal with, so they can develop more personal relationships with more of their priests, in my experience. (priests also have fewer parishioners to deal with per priest.) Priests usually listen to the bishop. If not, then discipline happens.

I haven't seen any liturgical abuse in Orthodoxy during my years as Orthodox--the worst I've seen is the so-called "heretical" icons of the holy trinity that depict God the Father as an old man, or really kind of strange translations of certain liturgical texts.

There was, however, an instance where a priest in Greece directly defied his bishop by reading the Gospel in a modern Greek translation, even though there was a long discussion over the pros and cons of this and it was ultimately decided that even though the uneducated could not understand it, it was better to read the original Greek in liturgy. Once the people realised what was going on they began shouting at the priest to read the "real" Gospel. When he argued with them there was some manner of riot.

So, there's that.
  • francis
    should be the same with the Latin in our liturgy, Jam, but people are always arguing that 'they can't understand what they are praying if the pray in Latin' well, I say jungle monkey to that...
  • JamJam
    have you tried rioting?

just a thought.

(joke!!)
  • CharlesW
    Riot??? I grew up in the 60s. Where's my protest sign? ;-)
  • dad29
    Even if it was a relatively minor but obnoxious abuse like the recorded music playing during the consecration.

That's two sins! Recorded music is a no-no. And even in the EF, playing music during the consecration is a no-no.

What a doofus.
  • C'mon Dad, if you wanna keep your Eisenhower/Disney/TLM card active, you don't declare "What a doofus"
    Go to the source, the lodestone, the one, the only Bugs Bunny:

What a maroon!
    Now, that feels like Aqua Velva to me.
  • Protasius
    @dad29: In the EF durign consecration grave and dignified organ music is permitted, unless diocesan statutes impose different rules.
  • francis
    Protasius

Where are rubrics to be found for organ playing in both forms? Have not seen much on that subject.
  • JahazaJahaza
    In the EF durign consecration grave and dignified organ music is permitted, unless diocesan statutes impose different rules.

This is forbidden by 1957's De musica sacra et sacra liturgia (though the law may not be obeyed everywhere) e.g. at no. 27:
    During the Consecration, the singing must stop, and there should be no playing of instruments; if this has been the custom, it should be discontinued.
  • francis
    O well... as I feared, it seems that there is confusion in the ranks over this point too.
  • In the Ordinary Form, instrumentals are also forbidden during the Consecration, per Redemptionis Sacramentum.
  • BenBen
    Actually during the whole Eucharistic prayer it's not allowed in the OF.

In the EF, there could be music during the other parts of the canon besides the actual consecration.
  • francis
    Ben:

You may be absolutely correct, but WHERE is the documentation about organ music at Mass!!!! I have asked this numerous times on this forum and no one seems to know where to point me to the black and white.
  • BenBen
    For the OF, this one specifically is found in Redemptonis Sacramentum:

[53.] While the Priest proclaims the Eucharistic Prayer “there should be no other prayers or singing, and the organ or other musical instruments should be silent”, except for the people’s acclamations that have been duly approved, as described below.
  • Liam
    Not sure if you are now talking about the OF or EF, but for the OF, pertinent rules include the following from the GIRM:

32. The nature of the "presidential" texts demands that they be spoken in a loud and clear voice and that everyone listen with attention. Thus, while the priest is speaking these texts, there should be no other prayers or singing, and the organ or other musical instruments should be silent.
  • francis
    Ben and Liam

Thanks.

Yes... that is a specific direction about that particular part of the Mass, but is there an overview about organ music in general (concerning instrumentals, improvs, etc). I have not seen anything of the sort.

Is there a chronological compilation of directives concerning Sacred Music in one publication that deals with all of it?
  • dad29
    And of course, there IS such a thing as "too much music"--it's kinda negatively-highlighted by the OF instruction, but (sadly) not in the EF rules.

So some priests (and Orders) seem to think that if the organ isn't playing, or the choir isn't singing, (or both) that it's just not Mass.

They, too, are doofusses. Not Maroons. Doofusses.
  • francis
    dad

Yea... sometimes Mass without music is preferable. Especially these days, when a lot of the "music of late" causes a death blow to the liturgy to be sure.
  • Liam
    Francis

Music is generally presumed to be vocal in the ritual books and relevant documents, and purely instrumental music is given comparatively little attention (though not none) because it's an exception to the general conceit that Catholic liturgical music is essentially vocal as a foundational matter.

I remember an Easter Vigil where a parishioner had a seizure. We had to pause the liturgy to wait for the medics to arrive. The celebrant (who was getting irked because the prolongation of the service meant a delay to his next cigarette) asked the organist to play cover music. The organist declined to do so by pretending not to understand the request, understanding the role of instrumental music in the liturgy is not to provide a mental distraction. We waited in silence. The organist was correct.
  • Liam
    (Oh, to clarify: I am not an organist. I am a singer and, formerly, a horn player.)
  • chonakchonak
    Francis asked:

Is there a chronological compilation of directives concerning Sacred Music in one publication that deals with all of it?

The book Papal Legislation on Sacred Music (Roman Catholic Books, Ft. Collins, CO) covers up to 1977.
  • francis
    tnx Liam

Chonak... wow... I will look that up. I think that anything after 1977 would probably be inaccurate anyway.
  • During Lent, the GIRM and Musica Sacram state that the organ should be silent and only used to support the singing (if needed). Furthermore, there should not be any instrumentals during that season.
  • JamJam
    so if you guys hardly even report rather grave abuses that lead to illicit (if not invalid) Masses, I guess you just grit your teeth when more minor abuses are committed?
  • dad29
    B-gal: the exceptions to that rule are Gaudete and Laetare Sundays, when the organ may be played. Thanks for the note to GIRM--didn't know it existed, but that's b/c I'm a member of the congregation at OF Masses and that rule is rarely, if ever, obeyed.

Liam: your take: 'vocal' v. 'instrumental' is correct. However, we can also learn from historical practices. The French, in particular, used organ to 'cover' a lot of the Mass; so much so that Rome finally banned 'cover' music at the Consecration.

The point, however, is this: one can use 'cover' music (during the right seasons, etc.) BUT one must exercise a good sense of balance between music and silence.

Your comments clearly come from a NON-organist, by the way.
  • Jam, the Mass is not magic, no matter where the term "hocus pocus" came from. Causes for invalidation are here: http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/articles/badliturgy.htm. The only abuse that I've seen here that could fit that description was my own example. If I were regularly attending that parish, I'd take it up with the priest.He is, in my experience, a person of good conscience. But yes, there's a certain amount of teeth-gritting involved,in situations where one cannot realistically change things.

B-gal: The "support the voices" loophole is about as wide as "cantus alius apta". If you have a choir or congregation that can't sing without the support of organ, then they can't sing WITH the organ either, and that needs to be changed.
  • JamJam
    "If you have a choir or congregation that can't sing without the support of organ, then they can't sing WITH the organ either, and that needs to be changed."

I find this to be true.

EDIT:

reading your link. I find this to be interesting: "(i.e. other non-priests at the Altar during the Eucharistic prayer with the intent to "co-consecrate" with the priest will also invalidate the consecration)"

that is not what happened at this Mass I was talking about (the EMCs approached the altar after the consecration took place)--but I wonder if I haven't seen this before somewhere.
  • The communion of the celebrating priest is necessary for the integrity of the Mass, but not for its validity: when the two-fold consecration has been validly effected the Eucharist is confected and the Sacrifice of the Mass duly offered. Nevertheless an abuse is an abuse and should not be ignored. As to the need for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion at a particular Mass, this is a somewhat subjective judgment. Certainly a brief prolongation of the celebration of Mass is not a sufficient reason for the proliferation of Extraordinary Ministers. The reception of the Host simultaneously with the priest is contrary to the Order of Mass, where the faithful are to receive Holy Communion after the priest. They are not "concelebrants" of the Mass with the priest, and the action described confuses their role with that of the ordained priest. Redemptionis Sacramentum also recommends reporting liturgical abuses to the diocesan Bishop (or other competent Ordinary) or even to the Apostolic See (on account of the universal jurisdiction of the Roman Pontiff). Perhaps bringing the concern to the parish priest (i.e. Pastor) first would be in order. If after several efforts the abuse is not corrected, a letter to the Bishop with appropriate documentation would follow. After that the appeal to Rome: for the Ordinary Form to the Congregation for Divine Worship; for the Extraordinary Form to the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, whose President is the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Evidence might include eyewitness testimony, parish bulletin or order of worship, and a brief video of the abuse (easy to do with cell phone cameras!). It goes without saying that such reporting must always be done in truth and charity, but where the good of souls is concerned lay Catholics should not just remain passive enablers.
  • JamJam
    query about EMCs:

say there is one priest available. but the parish communicates under both species. Is it licit to have one EMC every week to handle the chalice?