Great drama in the ICEL setting of the Glory to God
  • The ICEL "Glory to God"--based on Gloria XV--is truly "plain" chant. At first sight, it might even seem boring. IMO, it takes on a new life when sung antiphonally. Also, Jeff Ostrowski's tasteful and imaginative accompaniment enhances the tune without getting in the way of the text. The high point is towards the end: "You alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ..." The entire setting aims our thoughts to to this moment. Such drama! There's more going on in this "little" Gloria than meets the eye.
  • I would commend JM's assessment, and amplify it by offering that this setting has momentum self-evident in the 3.5 or so melodic motives.
    Timely post for me as we're "unveiling" this Glory at three of our four parishes this weekend, along with the balance of the ICEL setting (minus Creed.) We will chant it both accompanied and unaccompanied. We won't use alternatim, as we intend to fully engage the whole congregation in its singing.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Thank you, Joseph Michael !

The harmonization can be downloaded here.
  • I am glad to see this post. We will be introducing the ICEL Gloria this week-end and I am quite a bit nervous about it. The other ICEL chants have been accepted fairly well, but this one is causing me some anxiety. Myself, I love the setting - the drama near the end with the rising line to the climax of "Jesus Christ" - the ease of the melodic phrases - the way it wraps itself around the text - but, it is so different from the rhythmic settings our parish has used before. Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • It is plain and somewhat boring to listen to, which is too bad because it means that many will not give it a chance. Singing it is a different matter though. It actually sings quite well. More importantly it prays well.