Chants for the Feast of Our Lady in Porticu
  • I wonder if anyone can help with this?

I am trying to track down the chants which go with the propers of diocesan feasts in England and Wales, and among those which do not appear in any edition of the Liber or Gradual I have are the Introit, Gradual, and Alleluia for the Feast of Our Lady in Porticu. For some reason this feast, which originates in Rome, found its way in diocesan missal supplements for two Welsh dioceses, Cardiff and Menevia (Swansea), and forms part of the 1962 Missal for those places. The chants for this must be out there somewhere; with the Roman connection they may be pasted into the back of a Liber used in Rome, for example, as well as ones used in Wales.

I was wondering if any forum members might by chance have the chants and would be kind enough to share a scan of them? I paste in below the texts.

From the Baronius Press missal:

Cardiff, Menevia: July 17
    White OUR LADY IN PORTICU 3 Cl.

According to tradition, the picture of Santa Maria in Portico appeared miraculously in 524 in Rome to St Galla when distributing food to the poor in the porch (porticus) of her house. Since the days of the exiled James III, the Old Pretender, prayers have been offered weekly for the conversion of England and Wales in the Church of Santa Maria in Campitelli where the picture is enshrined.

Introit
    QUÆ est ista quæ progréditur quasi auróra consúrgens, pulchra ut luna, elécta ut sol, terríbilis ut castrórum ácies ordináta? Psalm. Coeli enárrant glóriam Dei, et ópera mánuum ejus annúntiat firmaméntum. Glória Patri …— Quæ est …

Gradual
    VULTUM tuum deprecabúntur omnes dívites plebis, adducéntur Regi vírgines post eam, próximæ ejus adducéntur tibi in lætítia et exsultatióne. Quia hódie nomen tuum ita magnificávit Dóminus, ut non recédat laus tua de ore hóminum.

Alleluia
    Allelúia, allelúia. Et tu ínvoca Dóminum et lóquere regi pro nobis, et líbera nos de morte, allelúia.
  • I hope someone can help! If it is not in the Graduale, or Mass and Vespers, I wouldn't know where to look.
  • Chrism
    A Gradual with the same text is found at p. (57) of the Appendix for Proper Feasts in the USA, Feast of St. Helena, Empress and Widow, in the online Liber.
  • Thank you very much! I hadn't even realised there was a US supplement; this is very useful. The feast of St Helen, for example, is also kept in three English dioceses, and that Gradual was one of the things I couldn't find elsewhere.

However, although it starts with the same words, it not the same gradual as for the feast of Our Lady in Porticu.

St Helen's gradual reads:

VULTUM tuum deprecabúntur omnes dívites plebis: fíliæ regum in honóre tuo. Adducéntur regi vírgines post eam, próximæ ejus afferéntur tibi: afferéntur in lætítia et exsultatióne, adducéntur in templum Regis.

Our Lady in Porticu's gradual reads:
    VULTUM tuum deprecabúntur omnes dívites plebis, adducéntur Regi vírgines post eam, próximæ ejus adducéntur tibi in lætítia et exsultatióne. Quia hódie nomen tuum ita magnificávit Dóminus, ut non recédat laus tua de ore hóminum.

Confusing, isn't it? It is a slightly different selection of verses from the same scriptural source.

All the same I am very grateful for this tip, as will solve several other problems of missing chants!