3-pt male choral music for Christmas
  • Heath
    Looking for a 3-pt piece to use with my male Schola for our annual Xmas concert. Any suggestions? Only parameters are that it be acappella and not too difficult!
  • Leonel Power, Beata progenies? It's about the Virgin, but as the mother of Christ, and it shows up on early music Christmas CDs a fair bit. A really lovely piece, all parts in all the time, homorhythmic. Now... the original pitch level is for ATT, but if you take it down M3, the tenor part (top line) tops out (once) on G. P4 is also doable, taking the bass down to G, but you probably want to do it as high as your tenors can stand and make a lovely sound. At P4, almost everything for tenor sits between g and e'. The Cassola ed. on cpdl has a Finale file that you could transpose.
  • Heath, the Christmas pieces in the Secunda Anthologica Vocalis (Puer nobis nascitur, Jesu redemptor omnium, Laetentur coeli, Tui sunt coeli) are all 3pt originally men (although all parts are in treble clef) and they are easy, serviceable, and pretty. I have been transcribing these pieces for flute+violins so our instrumental doublers in the schola have easy (aka 'very little rehearsal time') pieces to play for preludes. I have also transcribed some as SABar for my schola, which at the moment has three tenors and zero basses...
  • Here are two things that might be useful, both chant-based. Of course, I never know what might be too difficult...