Are you Catholic, do you attend Mass?
  • Strange little survey, I know....but have a go at it.

UPDATE: This is a survey, anonymity prefered. I failed to include the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XZS5CN5
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Just enter our response here on the forum?

I am Catholic. I attend Mass approx. 5x per week.
  • Maureen
    I am Catholic. I attend Mass.

If this is a trick question and we're supposed to say we assist at Mass, I do that too.
  • Yes and yes. Both by the grace of God. :)
  • Yes ... and yes.
  • Yes to both.
  • I'm Catholic and I attend Mass. I am also crazy because I chose to pursue the path of Director of Music & Liturgy. "You duped me, Lord!"
  • and in case this is, indeed, a trick question - I also try to participate fully in each Mass I attend. But you know what they say about intentions . . . . . . .
  • Mystery abounds-
    What prompted asking this question on a Catholic forum?
    What prompted sinking this discussion?
  • marajoymarajoy
    perhaps a non-Catholic was offended that they wouldn't get to participate? Or, rather, that he/she would be made to feel not-as-welcome by letting everyone know that?

so yes, I'll echo MaryAnn's questions!
  • Kathy
    What prompted sinking this discussion was a belief (on my part) that this is a question that a) is not necessary, b) has come up before, and c) is not exactly nice. Nothing in the etiquette guidelines suggests that people from the Eastern Churches, those in communion with us and those that are not, are unwelcome to post here.

If there is more (or other) to this thread, perhaps that could be spelled out from the beginning.
  • I hope Noel didn't intend to make anyone feel unwelcome, and was really just asking a question. In the absence of any info stating the purpose of the survey, I won't assume ill intent.
    But at the very least some more info from you, Noel, could help clear away any doubts. Especially if this has come up before?

It's clear to me that the forum is an outgrowth of CMAA, an organization that is Catholic in character and specifically concerned with advancing sacred music of the Latin Rite. But that doesn't mean that everyone outside the Roman Rite is unwelcome.
    So, yeah, the question itself is curious. Comment, Noel?
  • I did put the word participate in at first, but pulled it out as that is a different bone of contention. While working at a parish I was criticized for not receiving Communion at the choir Mass, as I received at the next Mass where I was observing musicians, not working...the organist, who receives at all of up to 5 vigil and Sunday Masses each week, told the pastor I felt that I was too busy working to receive Communion and he, too disagreed.

The funniest thing was that a Tween walked up to me after Mass one night and said, "Mr. Jones, I know that you are not a Catholic, but I want to know what kind of Christian you are since you received Communion at Mass just now."

"But I am Catholic, baptised after birth in 19.."

"Oh, Ok."

Walked up to her mother who said, "What did ___________ say this time?"

This was the pastor's fault (isn't everything?) who, 6 weeks after I was hired, said, "How's the new choir director working out?" followed by, "is he Catholic?"

Pastor: "I don't know, I didn't ask, I just needed a choir director." So that's how the word went out the I was not Catholic.

Same pastor hired a grade school counselor who ended up being an atheist.

Thanks to all who responded publicly, my apologies if my inept use of the link which did not appear offended anyone.

It would be interesting to hear from those who are committed to Catholic music but for one reason or other, do not..."participate" through attending Mass.
  • JamJam
    I didn't answer the survey because I haven't been active in Musica Sacra since I graduated from Franciscan University (where I nearly minored in Sacred Music) and moved away.

I'm Eastern Orthodox and I do not attend Mass on any regular basis, although I will drop in now and again especially if the church building is particularly beautiful. I may try to go to the Latin Mass in Dublin at some point but I live north of the Liffey and it's south of the Liffey and I need to worry about going to Divine Liturgy on Sundays first and foremost.

It is an interesting survey to do though because there are all kinds of people who are devoted to sacred music and let's see what kinds of moulds they aren't fitting into. What are the results you're getting, if you don't mind the question?
  • As I'm prone to do, I'll answer the question by the citation of another, perhaps more relevant question:
    “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?"

Lord, I want to be in that number....
  • don roy
    i am catholic because i converted at age 21. if i had it all to do over again i honestly doubt id do that again.
    i attend mass 4 plus times a week because that is my job. my spirituality is increasingly found outside this church ive dedicated my entire proffesional lifew in serving because i am increasingly at odds with a church that grows increasingly intolerent and hypocritical by the day especially the churches attitude towards social issues as well as its indefensable treatment of its lay employees.. ive been badly hurt by this institution but it has also been the sourse of much that is good. one vmight say that im conflicted increasingly angry and not a little burned ouit..
  • don roy
    i also no longer recieve communion.
  • Been there, done that, but did not keep the shirt, DR. I pray now for your soul's reconciliation to the heart of the Church, the Living Christ and to the intercession and comfort of His Mother and all angels and saints.
    Self-abstention from communion, and of course the requisite reconciliation, is self-negation, as once you are sacramentally part of the Body of Christ you know that your relationship with the Lord is nourished by those sacraments that cannot be found elsewhere in the cosmos.
    DR, you know suffering in ways that most of us could never imagine, and I don't think anyone in CMAA who's encountered you in person or here could imagine your visage without your amazing smile, emblazoned on your face and your heart. And you also know the power, spirit and witness of beauty and creation/creativity.
    Our lot as servants of worship naturally requires us to be subject to both faces of the Church, a sort of Upstairs/Downstairs paradox- we will see it at its finest moments, and at its worst moments. So, for some of us, keeping up a facade of the happy, jubilant and supremely confident believer who is "saved" is itself a cross to carry. Another paradox, another day.
    I am not saying this next reality to be either dramatic or insensitive, DR, you are literally the hands, feet and face of Christ for those whom you help worship God in song. And you are, when in that living moment, perfected. Your people need you whole, DR.
    I beg the mercy and peace of our Savior, through the power of His Spirit and the unending love of our Father upon your heart and soul. Amen.
  • francis
    yes
    as a dom i have made it a practice to provide music for all sundays including feasts and solemnities not on Sundays (there are about 38) which winds up being an average of 5 masses per week as we also have thursday eucharistic adoration which begins with Mass which I play an opening hymn and instrumental communion meditation, o salutaris, and closing instrumental procession of the Blessed Sacrament to the adoration chapel.

i think a more pressing question would be how often do you go to confession.

DR

The "institution" may or may not be supportive to the faith depending upon locale, faithfulness to the magesterium, or ignorance to its dogma and belief. More dangerous are the heretics, schismatics, and apostates who employ positions within the institution, so we cannot base our beliefs and devotion on how the institution treats us. We also must question our own thinking regularly to see if we ourselves have not fallen into any of those categories as they are widespread in our time.

7 15 Beware of false prophets, who come to you in the clothing of sheep, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. adtendite a falsis prophetis qui veniunt ad vos in vestimentis ovium intrinsecus autem sunt lupi rapaces

10 16 Behold I send you as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and simple as doves. ecce ego mitto vos sicut oves in medio luporum estote ergo prudentes sicut serpentes et simplices sicut columbae

20 28 Take heed to yourselves and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the Church of God which he hath purchased with his own blood. adtendite vobis et universo gregi in quo vos Spiritus Sanctus posuit episcopos regere ecclesiam Dei quam adquisivit sanguine suo
    20 29 I know that after my departure ravening wolves will enter in among you, not sparing the flock. ego scio quoniam intrabunt post discessionem meam lupi graves in vos non parcentes gregi
    20 30 And of your own selves shall arise men speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
  • don roy
    charles and francis
    thank you both for your comments and prayers. you both have given me much to think about.
    charles
    you made me cry. i cannot shake my increasing belief that the church is simply wrong with regards to its social teachings (the same teachings used by so many as simply an excuse to be unchristian ) and that the church cannot answer the moral complexities of 21st century life. its ok if your "normal" but if your not... I feel so strongly about that that i cannot in good concience recieve communion. by the way, i dont wish to argue the veracity of these points, im merely relating my increasing very troubling doubt.
  • I started this thread as a simple survey, which I totally failed to link to...I have no intention of people posting about their own personal situations, but wanted to give people a chance to answer the survey, which merely asks if you are RC, how often you attend Mass and if you have comments.

There are those on the list who are RC but no longer attend Mass. Those that attend Mass that are not RC. And those that are RC and worship but not at Mass.

There are those who remain RC but are working in music outside the RC church.

I wanted to be able to offer some figures to help those who fall outside the RC goes to Mass mold, to help them realize that they are part of this and they are not alone.

Of course, my failure to put the link in has resulted on one person expressing himself and members supporting him. So now I wonder who was giuding my errant typing fingers.

Diversity in this group is wide, and...if you can ignore the unfortunate reference to CCM, all are welcome.

To Don, I can only repeat the words I uttered to him at Colloquium, "You simply have to find a more elegant way to turn pages!"
  • Kathy
    WDTPRS has a survey up right now. It links to the survey but also, importantly, closes the combox. Maybe that could be a good strategy for the future.

I hope people do have a good forum for discussing their frustrations. FWIW, I was in a non-music catechetical meeting yesterday as a participant. This one fellow said that he always enjoyed being an architect, with the exception of working on building a church. He said that was incredibly difficult because there was not only one boss, but many. Of course I muttered, "You should try doing music!" It's such a wonderful job, but the challenges are legion.
  • How does one close the combox here?
  • It's such a wonderful job, but the challenges are legion.

Legion, yes absolutely, as opposed to "hosts."
    DR, I know you realize my only intent was to exhort you to "Cry out with joy and gladness, for among you, is the Holy One of Israel, Christ our Lord."
    @Noel, FNJ- I know this is the pot calling the kettle, but this thread was a souffle. I don't know who has the current lead in the muckraking World Series, the wags and pundits, the unions or those who want to run the Catholic Church.
  • Kathy
    @Noel--Chonak closes employment threads, so he would be a good one to ask to handle it.

@Chaz--How can a thread be a souffle? I call egregiously mixed metaphors!!
  • Yeah, and my reserve QB's already thrown two interceptions! Loss of down. (Think about that term.)
    I figured if a thread could prove a kerfuffle, or have a lacuna, why not pretentious French pot pie?
  • CharlesW
    When I am at a mass, I am working, not worshipping. Occasionally, I can attend a mass where I don't have to play or direct anything, but that is rare. As a Byzantine, I worship at Divine Liturgy, when I can attend. Easterners don't have the communion-itis that is prevalent in the west. Consequently, I receive when I choose, not because I feel any compulsion to receive. That view probably comes from us not having daily liturgies, but celebrating Saturdays, Sundays, and holy days, only. As I think I have said before on this forum, I thought much more highly of the Church before I started working for it. That doesn't mean I dislike my job. But a certain amount of burnout sets in after all the years.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions