SEP or AUG for Dec 3: St Francis Xavier
  • bgeorge77
    Going on retreat with the LifeTeen crew. This is not as bad as it sounds, we have one of the most Reform-Reform minded groups in the nation I would bet: English propers, Latin ordinaries, ad orientem, lauds/vespers/compline, confession, silent adoration, etc.

So on retreat we have two Masses: Saturday, and Sunday. The Saturday Mass is on Dec 3, St Francis Xavier.

What propers (English) should we sing? I looked in the GR, but most of those are not also in the SEP (I think only one, the communion Signa eos) or AUG so far as I can find. The AUG does have a Common of Pastors, which, according to the Mundelein Psalter, is what St Francis Xavier is, but the AUG propers are not at all the same as the GR propers.

Just trying to do the right thing, thanks for any help!
  • SEP also has the proper OF. Veritas mea/My fidelity (p. 358)

While IN. Loquébar/I spoke is not in the SEP, you may still have some acceptable choices.

You may consider using IN. Iustus ut palma/The righteous man shall flourish (SEP, p. 357), as it is one of two Introits in the Graduale Simplex recommended in its Common of Holy Men.

You may also wish to consider, in light of the life of St. Francis Xavier:

— IN. In nómine Dómini/At the name of the Lord (SEP, p. 308), a variant of which is used for the feast of his confrère, St. Ignatius Loyola.
    — IN. Omnis terra/Let all the earth worship (SEP, p. 178)
    — IN. Omnes gentes/All nations, clap your hands (SEP, p. 237)
  • bgeorge77
    Thanks folks! Very helpful!