Composition / Text-writing: Opportunities, Contests, Commissions, etc
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    We have a number of composers, arrangers, and hymn-text writers here.
    And, although many of us freely give our gifts away, some of us also would appreciate the opportunity to occasionally get paid or receive additional attention for our work.
    Also, sometimes an outside request for a piece with particular characteristics spurs composers/writers on to actually finish something they otherwise wouldn't.

Therefore:
    I am suggesting that this thread become a reference thread, where any every body can and should post the following:
    • Links to ongoing calls for submission from publishers (small and large), such as (for example) WLP's Composer's Submission page
    • Links to contests, competitions, and etc. in composition, arranging, and hymn-text writing.
    • Submission requests for commissioned pieces.
    • Links to finding the above items (such as, for example, high-quality composer message boards)

I'm further suggesting the following "rules" (which the community may overrule):
    • Obviously, the highest interest here would be for items above to be related to Sacred Music generally and Catholic music specifically. I would suggest, though, that if any one has knowledge of requests/calls which are for non-sacred art music, non-Catholic religious music, or (ghast!) contemporary-style worship music (Catholic or otherwise), that those be posted as well.
    • It would be better if this was not a thread for random, off-the-cuff requests ("Hey- can anyone here make a quick SAB arrangement of such-and-such.").
    • It would be better if this was not a thread for showing off one's own new works.
    • Both paid and non-paid gigs welcome. However, try to make sure the thing you're posting isn't some bogus waste of time.
  • Forum members:

Is it the policy not to post new compositions here? I apologize if it is and will gladly remove my earlier discussion where I included a link to a particular work I had completed. To remove the discussion, do I jut go to the edit page and remove all text? Thank You. John H.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    John...

New compositions are welcome under the "New Compositions" category. You posted correctly. The above request refers to posting new compositions in this particular thread.

Chuck
  • I very well may be mistaking intent, Adam (I often am), but to me instituting sytematic rules and protocols in order to create another tier of "enterprise" seems a bit counter-intuitive to the primary tenets of CMAA's missio. Just sayin'.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This thread.
    I was referring to this thread.

I was only suggesting that those of us who already know about things like this:
    http://www.rscm.com/publications/haroldsmart.php
    (Link to an already-ended hymn-tune competition from the Royal School of Church Music)

...let everyone else know as well.

That was all I was suggesting.
    I assumed other composers/arrangers/writers would find it helpful to be alerted to opportunities when they come up.
    Obviously, everyone would already be free to do so, and could start a new thread at for each one.

But since stuff like that happens all the time, and no one ever mentions it, I assume people just don't think of it.
    So I'm asking people, if you happen to know about these sorts of things, please think about posting them here.

I know a lot of opportunities like those above are not well-advertised, and I imagine that I'm not the only one around here who doesn't know much about how to look for them.
    (And trying to do a web search for this sort of thing seems to turn up a lot of pointlessness).

Just a suggestion.
    Carry on.
  • francis
    Thanks Adam

If I happen on a competition will post here.
  • Kathy
    The Hymn Society lists contests in their monthly newsletter. Many times what is sought are issue-oriented "hymns" on ecology or inclusivity or what have you, rather than liturgical hymns.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs078/1104039006581/archive/1104570431474.html
  • Got it.
  • rich_enough
    Anyone hear about this competition? The Conference of Roman Catholic Cathedral Musicians is asking for settings of the Entrance and Communion antiphons (with their verses) in English, and offering a single $1,500 prize.