Director of Music
  • Director of Music. The Cathedral-Basilica of St. Augustine, 35 Treasury Street, St. Augustine, FL, 32084. Phone: (904)824-2806; fax:(904)824-0761; email: cathadmin@gmail.com; website: www.thefirstparish.org. Historic parish seeking Director of Music. Degree in Music (emphasis in choral conducting) or equivalent, experience as choir director, good communication and organizational skills, knowledge of the Catholic liturgy. are prerequisites. Director responsible for coordinating the music program of parish which includes two Mass stations in addition to the Cathedral. Three choirs to lead and coordination of music for weddings, funerals and other liturgies. Parish employs an organist for liturgies. Instrument in the Cathedral is a Casavant Freres Opus 3821 installed in 2003. Salary commensurate with experience.
    Mail or e-mail resumes to John Garofalo by July 1, 2008.
  • G
    Mary Jane, Mary Jane!
  • hortense1
    who is mary jane?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    [deleted by poster]
  • hortense1
    Why is he leaving? Does anyone know anything about the position?
  • Cantor
    sigh... Maybe in a couple years I’d apply for something like this, but for the time being I feel a bit too much need for being in a post for substantially long than a year.

It’d be a nice use for the ol’ graduate conducting degree, though.
  • hortense1
    Does anyone have any information/knowledge about the program, choirs, potential, etc.? I've never heard the choirs.
    [deleted by poster]
  • mjballoumjballou
    I will only make one comment about this position because I know the Cathedral parish. There is a new pastor coming in July. Since his name has been announced, it's probably fair to let people "Google" on that - Fr. Tom Willis, currently pastor of Most Holy Redeemer in Jacksonville, FL.

I would also encourage anyone who is interested to apply.
    [deleted by poster]
  • hortense1
    I understand the need for candor and protocol when discussing a posted listing, but surely someone has knowledge of the cathedral's rich musical history or lack thereof. Apparently from both your guarded comments (mary jane and david andrew) that something with either the pastors and or musicians was not functioning well - some changes have been made. Still - as with any long standing program, quality usually weathers the storm... I've never heard any of the choirs from the cathedral. Is there a tradition of choral and liturgical excellence or not?

Would be great to know...
  • priorstf
    Once again the Death By Innuendo game is started. If you intend to apply for this position, I suggest you do your own research. Then apply for the position and may God bless you on the path.

If you would like to rate the music programs at specific churches, please always start with your own and establish your basis for judgement.

But if you are merely looking for mud to sling, or at least to muddy the waters, this is the wrong place for it.

Moderators, I suggest that in the future job postings be posted and then closed to additional comments. If the poster needs to change information, they can contact the moderator.
  • mjballoumjballou
    "I suggest you do your own research. Then apply for the position adn may God bless you on the path."

Excellent suggestion. As to pastoral changes, heck, we're in the season of ordinations and new clergy assignments.
    I truly resent the implication that the mere posting of easily obtained public information is somehow tantamount to mudslinging.

Nevertheless, in response to priorstf's upbraiding (clearly a veiled attack on my posts), I've deleted all of my comments.

Really, this has come up before, and I should think that if the moderators really wanted postings to be just postings, they'd take the advice that has been given repeatedly in the past with respect to job postings and put them in a separate list that is closed to comment, so that otherwise innocent comments made can't be construed as engaging in some form of covert attack on the character of a given listed music program.

Enough said.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    There doesn't seem to be a way to restrict comments in particular categories. This feature of the forum is clearly an upgrade from the old system (we had to type them all up by hand!) but it is seriously limited for what could be possible. Right now Aristotle is working on a new software for all classifieds -- a very robust system that will allow singers to find churches, churches to find directors, organists to find parishes, etc. etc., and even architects to find positions and pastors to find painters and on and on. This way if you are visiting somewhere over the summer, you can post your availability. It will even allow people to post the need for candlesticks or old hymnals or whatever. Each entry will be customizable according to user preference. I see this as a one-stop liturgy classifieds for the Church in the U.S.

Just think what this will mean! and it will all be free. So let's all just sit tight and wait a bit and see what happens here.
  • Well, I can tell you that the relatively new Casavant organ there is superb, although I will disclose that the consultant for it is a respected former colleague of mine. The Diocese of Saint Augustine has a generally dreadful liturgical tradition. For years most of the parishes lacked crucifixes and instead had various versions of Flying Jesus/Levitating Jesus, usually not even backed by a cross. Bishop Galeone has extremely orthodox, but has made it all but impossible for the Extraordinary Form to grow past the indult Mass in Jacksonville.

And if you consult the parish registers from about 1780 onward, you'll find them filled with my ancestors and relatives!
  • hortense1
    Thank you Mr. Page...

This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for... My queries had nothing to do with mudslinging, just factual information that website rhetoric will not divulge.
  • OlbashOlbash
    It would be a shame for all parties involved if someone were to relocate, uprooting his/her entire family in the middle of a recession, and find after six months that it is not a good match. It's not good for the employer and it's not good for the employee. Full disclosure of facts in an "intelligent and civil" manner seems appropriate. The comment has been made, "I suggest you do your own research." Is not a reputable discussion board such as this a good place to start?
  • Carl DCarl D
    A discussion board is a great place to make contacts, but to get the best information, where people are able to have open sharing, it's probably good to have that done in one-on-one conversations. This can be highly sensitive, so publishing it on the internet can be problematic.

Think of discussion forums as the world's most public bulletin board. Where anything posted can NEVER be taken down, even if you attempt to erase it. If I'd be nervous posting something which could show up in the main vestibule at my church, I'm not going to post it here.

Carl
  • mjballoumjballou
    Jeffrey -

I read you'll help "pastors to find painters." What a help when the rectory needs a new coat of paint? Just teasing. I think it will be wonderful.
  • Michael O'Connor
    My 2 cents. My wife and I were married in the basilica in a Latin OF Mass. We brought in our own priest and musicians and the staff there was wonderfully willing to let us do our own thing. We were required to make use of the organist, who was quite competent. The interior of the basilica is beautiful with painted beams in the Renaissance style. The present church is the product of a rebuild in the late 19th c w/some additions in the 1960s (as you can guess). The area is great and the cost of living is quite reasonable unless you buy a house on the ocean (expect at least 600,000 there). I pray that someone of our "kind" wins that job and hosts the chant conference that Mary Jane and I are whipping up for next year!!
  • hortense1
    Sounds like a lovely place to live... We've been to St. Augustine a couple of times, but never visited the space. Can anyone speak to the choral tradition? Does the choir record? Are there staff singers/choral scholars? Is the chorus all-volunteer, auditioned. Are they capable of doing substantive literature - Durufle motets, requiem - Haydn late masses - 20th Cent. rep Lauridsen, Hildegard von Bingen... I guess I'm trying to find out a bit more scope before I throw my hat in the ring. At my current position, I have all of the above - top group rehearses three times a week - with substantial support, philosophically and financially. But also as you know, after a long tenure it' nice to re-invent your self. I'm just completely in the dark about the place other than one poster said that the liturgical tradition at the Basilica had been "generally dreadful." Not looking to mudsling, just using this as a resource to find out if the place has great choir or not.

Appreciate the help.
  • Michael O'Connor
    hortense1 if you have the type of groups that you mention, stay put. It is a rare situation from my experience. Florida is, for the most part, a liturgical and sacred music wasteland. I wouldn't rule this out entirely since the folks at the basilica may indeed be interested in developing the musical environment you have. Do contact them and ask.
  • The music program at the Cathedral-Basilica is in need of a complete rebuilding (as a friend said, bring your hard hat). There are currently two small vocal ensembles: the 9 a.m. group, which is accompanied by piano, guitars, flute, etc.; and the loosely-constructed 6 p.m. group, accompanied by piano and/or organ. There has been NO substantive musical literature at Mass for quite some time. The "principal" choir which sang at the 11 a.m. liturgy fell apart last fall and that Mass has been led by a cantor ever since. The glory days of Cathedral music ministry ended in the mid-90's. Choirs have always been volunteer. The hymnal du jour is Gather Comprehensive, which makes many folks unhappy. Before that, it was Breaking Bread. The organ is splendid and the organist is pretty darned good and doubtless would embrace the return of real music to the Cathedral. Many Cathedral parishioners are hungry for the sort of music that ought to be offered at our historic parish and would second Michael's comment ("I pray that someone of our 'kind' wins that job.")... but it's not for the faint of heart. SEND YOUR RESUMES.
  • hortense1
    What is the longest anyone has been in the position?
  • 20-plus years.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Perhaps in contrast to some here, I think these comments on job openings are VERY valuable. This is the kind of information that you cannot get from calling the church or doing the normal homework. I'm saddened to see that this thread is sinking, especially since I would love to see someone really good come into this stunningly beautiful church and do the work necessary. I would toss my hat in, but I think someone with serious choral and vocal training should be hired. I'm just a brass player who loves real church music. (Too bad, I know my wife would love to be closer to her family in Jacksonville)
  • MBWMBW
    Can someone tell me what to "sink" a discussion means?
  • Before you consider applying for this position, you should contact staugustineorbust@yahoo.com.