Simple English Propers support
  • mwa
    Does anyone know if the practice videos will be updated, or if that project has been abandoned for the time being? I am hoping to begin using the SEPs for our county-wide homeschool group's monthly Masses, but we cannot possibly carry it off without the practice videos.

Also, any chance of a few more geared to the sanctoral cycle? I know most of those using them are real DoMs handling Sunday Masses, but for those of us in (home)school situations working with weekday Masses, having a proper that would be suited to the memorial of the day would be a real gift, helping to teach the integral nature of these parts of the Mass.
  • We are doing them every week. It's just that they have moved from Vimeo to youtube. I post them weekly at the chantcafe.com
  • mwa
    Thank you, Mr. Tucker. It didn't occur to me that they might be elsewhere than the SEP support page. Forgive me for a possibly dumb question--does that mean the ones that are on Vimeo will also be on youtube, or should one be prepared to switch back and forth depending on when the recording was done?
  • BenBen
    MWA,

You might check if any of the propers in SEP line up with the propers of the day (there's an index of latin incipits in the back). Our Homeschool group's schola (which I don't lead, btw) sung yesterday at our First Friday Mass, and we used assorted chants from SEP that happened to line up with the chants of the day.

See what I mean? I know the Graduale Simplex also has a section for common of saints. Maybe you could try that if nothing lines up from SEP. If you don't have a simplex lying around (not many do), and you're fimiliar with Gregorio, here is the entire simplex transcribed into GABC for anyone to use. This is an awesome resource.

And since I brought up the simplex, if you are looking for english, maybe get a copy of By Flowing Waters. It has all of the commons, and everything you might need, as far as I know. I also hear they have generous reprint permissions.

Attachment: Here's what we sung yesterday. We'll be singing from the simplex next month for St. Charles Borromeo.
  • mwa
    Ben Yanke,
    thanks for you input. I am familiar with both the resources you mention. The problem is that my group must have recordings to work with from home, and I am not in a position to create such for them. That's why the SEP is such a godsend for us--besides being really wonderful renditions, they're made accessible for people who have NO training and must learn by ear. I intended to "cut and paste" as you suggest with them to do our best to match the chants for the day, but figured it couldn't hurt to make a pitch for Mr. Bartlett to do us the favor of rendering a few more tailored to the purpose!
  • francis
    Ben

How does one use the GABC resource?
  • BenBen
    Well.... the short answer is:
    stick it in here.

Seriously: go to the link above, copy this (or go here, click "Show integrated GABC", then paste it in the box. This one might be easier)

name:Kyrie XVII;
    %%
    (c4)KY(f)ri(gfg)e(h.) *() e(ixjvIH'GhvF'E)lé(ghg')i(g)son.(f.) bis(::)

and put it into the text box. Answer the spam-stopping math problem, and hit submit. You'll get the first section of Kyrie XVII.

The long answer is: well... you can get away with it, but you can't do a lot without actually learning the GABC notation. It's not too hard to learn though. Check out this page
  • francis
    I thought that was going to be the answer, I just didn't know where the conversion tool was. Thanks.
  • francis
    Is there a finished assembled file of the entire Simplex?
  • BenBen
    that's an awesome idea. Aristotle?
  • BenBen
    [facepalm]

I almost forgot.

I don't think the rest of it is, but the kyriale section of the database is already available as a single file.
    Kyriale Simplex