Missa Brevis without solos
  • This Christmas, I'd like to do a setting of the Gloria from a Missa Brevis; rather than using a renaissance era setting, I was leaning towards something accompanied, perhaps a Mozart or Haydn setting. The trouble is, every setting that I can find uses soloists and I don't want to mess with that. Does anyone know any good ones that DON'T have solos in them?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I absolutlely fell in love with the Michael Hadyn Missa Sancti Joannis Nepomuceni a couple years ago. The piece would likely work well with organ alone, or with organ two violins and cello (as we did it). I assume there may be trumpet and timpani parts if you have them. Since it was written for the Salzburg Cathedral, there are no viola parts.

Now, I did this for the Easter Vigil a couple of years ago (and my score's not handy at the moment), so we didn't do the Kyrie or Credo -- so there may be solos in there, but if there are any solos in the Benedictus, they weren't particularly soloistic in quality, so I just had the section sing them, and it worked to good effect.

Two clever things about the piece. For those who don't know, Michael Haydn (like Mozart for a time) worked for Archbishop Colloredo, who liked his Mass *short* - so M. Haydn himself marked optional cuts(!) in the score, presumably for use at Mass when celebrated by the archbishop, and ignored otherwise.

I also love that the 3/4 Hosanna theme - which is quite lyrical (and feels like it may have been lifted by some film composer) returns in the Benedictus in 4/4 - which I don't know I've seen anywhere else.

It's published by Carus, but worth it. Maybe not a gem for the concert hall, but definitely for use in the liturgy if you're going to do a Classical-era Missa brevis.

*** Sorry, just read you were looking for only the Gloria. I don't remember there being solos in there, but I will check when I get to the office later this morning.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You might consider the Masses of Josef von Eybler. The Gloria from the Coronation Mass is splendid, with a wonderful contrapuntal conclusion. That of the Missa de St. Mauritio is somewhat shorter, yet has a lively contrapuntal Amen. And the one in the Messe No. 3 in D is even shorter. My favorite, however, is the Coronation Mass.

All of these have versions with orchestra, too. I've just downloaded and made PDFs for the versions with organ accompaniment. Editions are from Manfred Hoessl, at CPDL.

Chuck
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Another composer - Johann Nepomuk Hummel: Mass no. 1 in B-flat and Mass No. 3 in D, both with well-matched organ parts (or orchestra).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    And still another - Abbe Maxmilian Stadler, No. 1 in G, No. 2 in B-flat.
  • Thank you both VERY MUCH. This is what I was looking for.