Request: All Souls Day Propers Recordings
  • a1437053a1437053
    Requesting a recording audio only or the full-video w/ notes of the Simple English Propers for All Souls Day.

Anyone who can stay in tune with a mic? Doesn't have to be fancy at all.
  • BenBen
    I'll do it for you. I'll try and get it to you within the hour.
  • BenBen
    ok, maybe that's not realistic for me. Something just came up. I'll shoot for noon, CST.
  • BenBen
    Done.

Hope this helps.
  • a1437053a1437053
    This movement, this CMAA organization, THIS FORUM . . . is really something great.

Request fulfilled in less than half a day. AMAZING.

Thank you Ben Yanke.
  • BenBen
    What's there better to do on a Saturday afternoon than learn a bunch of chant and share it? :)
  • a1437053a1437053
    These chants have been downloaded, uploaded to the wife's iPod, and they are awaiting her tomorrow morning. Less than 20 minutes, you have to love this technology.

=)

Without Ben's introduction, and now JMO's final product . . . we look to be set for Wednesday, except maybe for that long Offertory. Possibly the first complete set of propers in our Church since.........

THANK YOU AGAIN.
  • a1437053a1437053
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKRs8eWc65E

The first use of propers at our parish since . . . Thank you once again!
  • I am so moved by this all. What an incredible development and testament this is.
  • a1437053a1437053
    Adam, thank you for your hard work. A bridge to the Graduale from the Spanish is my next wish.
  • a1437053a1437053
    Posted to ChantCafe:

Our nascent 'garage chant club' consists of the cantor you see, the "secretary" you're reading, a newbie, and CMAA's vast resources.

The pastor was gracious to allow this atypical setup for All Souls, with the ulterior motive to highlight the Christian elements of the Dia de los Muertos celebrations in our area (they'll allow it in schools as a 'cultural' expression).

The SEP introit accompanied a candle procession, followed by the Spanish choir's "Caminaremos" with guitar and organ (and possibly an accordion). The full Ordinary was in typical Latin American styles and with the aforementioned instrumentation, as was the Resp. Psalm. The SEP communion was followed by "Pan de Vida" and a prolonged silence. The priest processed out to "In Paradisum" followed by yet another guitar/organ-led hymn.

Of note was the extreme contrast between plainchant motifs and your average Spanish choir's use of hymns and "moving" rhythms. The chants created solemnity and were beautifully sung; many heads turned up in wonder. Without a single sentence of logical argument in favor of plainchant, many present were convinced of the power of singing the Mass. The choir director expressed the earnest desire to continue to work with our cantor/chant group. I made sure to make use of every opportunity to spread the Propers Gospel, and went as far as giving him a copy of the Spanish Ordinary I found in the MusicaSacra/forum page.

We need the Simple Spanish Propers.

And to close, while most of the Ordinary was hymned in that Spanish-choir style, the Agnus Dei was chanted in Spanish and with a melody very close to the Jubilate Deo simple Ordinary (ironically, because I think it uses the Requiem Agnus Dei as its source). This chant is the sole vestige of our former "reform-of-the-reform" associate priest.
    ---------
    I forgot to add, that while most people sang most of the Ordinary, the instrumentation and the mic-ed choir tended to drown out the congregation. BUT WHEN THE AGNUS DEI WAS CHANTED . . . the flower was undressed and you could REALLY hear the congregation.

Everyone (in the Spanish community) could sing it! And our English speakers (who know the Latin melody), could have at least hummed along!

That, right before the communion and its introit, really helped to set the tone for that very important moment of reception.

"Pan de Vida" quickly destroyed that atmosphere!