Spanish Chant: Advent Mass I
  • I am putting together the Spanish chant I've done and I'm going to start releasing it under a Creative Commons license as time permits.

These are direct adaptations from the Graduale Simplex. For now I'll be focusing on the Introits, Offertories, and Communions. I have also done the entire Kyriale Simplex in Spanish which I will post eventually also.

I don't expect these to be in perfect condition, so if you want to help correct and improve them, then please be my guest! Once a piece has been vetted, I hope I can find the time to do a recording of it for pedagogical purposes.

There are still many issues to be worked out, but these can be resolved along the way...

Update:The score has been updated with a few minor improvements, and some practice MP3s created for the antiphons. Get them here.
  • Claire H
    Splendid! Thank you for doing this work and sharing it!

I'd be very interested to know how you are implementing these with your Spanish community, and how they are received. I'm learning that they are usually even more frightened of unfamiliar music than English speakers are. They also say "we want happy music!" (which means their accustomed Flor & Canto numbers with guitars, etc).
  • Claire H
    P.S. Since it is rare to find a native Spanish musician who knows musical notation, recordings of your chants would be an *excellent* tool.
  • Hi Claire,

Yes, implementing changes in the music at a parish is challenging (no matter what the language of the people!).

Right now I work in formation in my religious community, but in my previous assignment at a largely Latino parish in California, these were some concrete steps we did:

• 1. Catechesis, catechesis, catechesis! Beginning with frequent preaching on the liturgy, on Mass, on why our singing should be primarily a form of prayer. Also we provided workshops for our choirs (in both English and Spanish) to help them understand the role of music in the liturgy. In my experience, choirs are so generous, and so giving back to them really helped us to bridge a gap. Also, most of our musicians had never read a single document on what the Church says about music...rather than criticizing them for it, by instructing them and leading them to understand their role better made them more receptive to change their style and music. They still love very different styles of music, but they begin to understand why many styles are simply not appropriate for the Mass.
    • 2. Many people know no other type of church music than what they have been hearing for the last forty years, so although they say they want "happy music," I think what they are looking for is music that connects with their religious experience. If we try to make their religious experience (especially their experience of the Mass) deeper and more prayerful, then their musical choices will begin to follow.
    • 3. We gave our choirs a period to adjust to changes, but we were also clear about what we expected. We eliminated very quickly the settings of the Mass that used words that differ from the Missal texts. We gave them several settings that conformed to the official texts in case they had a hard time finding their own. The Gloria was difficult, because there are so few good settings in Spanish that follow the texts (at least that I know of!). Just getting the groups to use the official texts was a huge step, because it eliminated so many bad settings.
    • 4. We began in part with an emphasis on daily Masses at first. Having a specific cantor at every Mass (this particular parish has daily Masses in English and Spanish) that had prepared the Psalm to be sung with Gregorian melodies. This introduced them to chant style and made the faithful regulars yearn for more prayerful music at other celebrations.
    • 5. During Advent and Lent, all choirs use Latin Mass parts, which brings an important ritual unity between our Spanish- and English-speaking congregations. We made recordings for them in house of the settings, sang along with them, helped them with pronunciation, etc. They are still getting used to it, but many have surprised themselves by coming to enjoy it. When our school choir (and the whole parochial school!) learned to sing the Latin Mass parts in record time, it left little room for older choir members to complain that the Latin chants were beyond them! :-D

These are small steps that leave much to be done, but they are a start. So, this parish is still not using antiphons like these yet, but in my long term perspective I think they will get there. What they need are resources (like good settings) and good examples of how it can be done.

• RagueneauRagueneau
    Beautiful work, Fr. Spencer.
  • Magnificent! Fr. Spencer, do you by any chance have the Ordinary in Spanish in chant form? My parochial vicar is seeking one.
  • benedictgal,

I sure do. The five from the Graduale Simplex to start with anyway. I'll start posting them now.

Blessings.
  • benedictgal, Here you go! Ordinary I in Spanish

• Father, THANK YOU so much for your efforts. I have been trying to track down a copy of the Simplex in order to do this very thing, and have had no luck finding anything (the usual suppliers are sold out, and used ones are going for over $100 on Amazon).
  • If you are still looking for a Simplex, you could try ordering it directly from the monks of Solesmes...even with international shipping, exchange rates and the like, it should be well under $100! Their chant books can be found here.
  • I've updated the score and added some practice audio files, available here.
  • chonakchonak
    The Simplex is published by the Vatican press (Libreria Editrice Vaticana). You can buy it on-line through the distributor paxbook, though the shipping is pretty high. As an alternative, the Newman Book Store in Washington, DC can probably get it for you fairly soon, and may even have it in stock. I recommend calling to check.
  • a1437053a1437053
    Are any of these projects progressing?
  • Yep! Still working on them...I was out of the country for a few weeks so I haven't posted much lately, but I'll try to get back up to speed here shortly.
  • Fr. Spencer, my parish has been using your chants for the past three weeks!!!! Yay!

My parochial vicar loves them and my pastor likes them, too. It felt really great to use them and sing them. My parochial vicar wanted to know if you would be composing a similar setting for:

El Senor este con vosotros.
    Y con tu Espiritu

Levantemos el corazon...

He cannot find anything for the prefaces and really wants to chant them.
  • Fr. Spencer... This is wonderful work. Thank you so much for sharing this. I look forward to following your project.
  • BenBen
    Is this what you are looking for, BenedictGal? I don't claim to be a native spanish speaker, but this might work for you. It's an adaptation of the Latin solemn preface dialog (most common). I'm sure Fr. Spencer's will be much better, when he does one (or maybe he's already done one, and I missed it?).

Lo siento por mi mala traducción. El título del archivo y la frase fue traducido con el traductor de Google. :)

Download: De Diálogo antes del Prefacio
  • Ben,

You are my Advent Angel!! God bless you!
  • BenBen
    One more thing. I would suggest a slight lengthening on Senior. I've updated the above post with the fixed version.
  • For the preface dialog, there's a simpler tone in the Cantoral de misa dominical (Barcelona, 2006). Google has an extensive preview. I'm a novice here, so I hesitate to post a link or make an attachment.
  • Here are the Spanish preface dialogue chants that I use. These come straight from the Spanish Missal (in the appendix "Textos Musicalizados"). When I first began using it as a priest I thought it was unfortunate that it didn't pattern itself more closely to the melodies for the preface dialogue in Latin. But when I came to see that it is surprisingly simple for the people to learn and that it is already pretty well known by many congregations, I went with it. Even when I visit other Spanish speaking parishes, I find these chants to work well, and congregations responding with gusto!

• Btw, benedictgal, I'm so happy to hear your parish is using them and enjoying them! Thanks for letting me know...
  • a1437053a1437053
    In this New Liturgical Chant Movement, it is very difficult for this non-musician (almost tone deaf) zealot to find a place to evangelize sacred music.

I was last night's guest speaker for the RICA class (Spanish adults) and the topic was "The Incarnation". I had always meant to somehow mention the NLCM, especially the propers. But it was not until Mr. Tucker's recent post ("To Fix the Chant, Focus on the Word") that I decided to use this week's introit "Rorate caeli" as the opening prayer, opening topic, and closing prayer. Chanted. SUNG.

Mind you, being married to the cantor and UCLA-music graduate, I am very well aware of how I sound. Pretty crappy at matching pitches, keeping rhythm, and gross timbre. (I think that's what she'd call them.)

Fr. Spencer, I downloaded your 'Advent Mass i' and memorized the melody.

We practiced first (I was predictably off. OFF.) I chanted the antiphon, we chanted the verses on one note, alternating for about 4 verses. At first they were hesitant, but by the end I could hear most. (Some were just as off as I was. =) )

It was a thing of beauty to chant the introit as our opening prayer, focusing on the words. On or off, there is something about singing together, our words are musical incense, that set this apart as something wonderful.

The first 10-15 minutes of the lesson (The Incarnation) revolved around the text given, finding its source in Isaiah 45 (where these future Confirmandi encountered the word "ungido"/anointed) and continuing to Gabriel's greeting to Mary in Luke. The offertory, which we did not sing. The communion is Isaiah 7:14. In this particular case, the Propers of the Fourth Sunday of Advent fit perfectly together, a unified package of theology about what is about to happen. The Literature teacher in me spend too much time discussing the choice of words "destilar" or "germinar" and their connotations. And we compared them to the English (not so poetic). By the end of this bit of classtime, the choir..... errr.... the students, could have dug deep into the Latin.

We imagined the monk over a thousand years ago composing this poetry, setting it to music, and then going through centuries of refinement until the Church choose this text for her liturgy.

An hour and half later, we closed class with the introit chanted again. Some students left humming the antiphon along, it was pretty simple and we had done it more than 3 times in its entirety. The introit was only two or three simple phrases.

We need SIMPLE Propers, for people like me.
    We need audio and video supports, for people like me.

CMMA: Thank you for all of the resources and this forum.
  • Fr. Spencer;

You are my hero!!!!

I just left a copy of your setting and Ben's at my parochial vicar's office. I called him to let him know and he is happy.

I only hope that the USCCB will have the sense to include a chant setting of the Ordinary when it finally wraps up work on our version of the Spanish-language Roman Missal. You should be the one to set it!

God bless you!!!
  • BenBen
    Maybe, depending on the congregation, you could use these Fr. Spencer's setting on normal Sundays, and one like mine on solemn Sundays, such as christmas. Idk, just an idea. Any ideas carried over from the EF don't seem like bad ones to me... :)