• BenBen
    GABC of the Kyriale

I don't have time to do much transcribing, but if you have already transcribed any ordinary chant from the kyriale, or you're an Andrew Hinkley type, please add your transcription to it.

There's nothing in it right now, other than what I copied from here.

Hopefully, this will be helpful to someone down the road.
  • This is a great initiative! I would like to agree on some conventions, so the gabc will be useful to all:

- add an annotation field with the mode of chant in roman capitals
    - add a commentary field with any text that is printed on the top right of the chant
    - capitalise the first two letters of the first syllable (or first three letters, if the first syllable is a single word of three letters; or only the first letter if the first syllable consists of one letter)
    - add the accents in Latin words of more than two syllables (no accents on two syllable words)
    - add the rhythmic signs (. or ' or _)

I updated the three Kyries that were already in the sheet. Here's an example:

annotation: VI;
    commentary: XIV. s.;
    %%
    (c4) KY(f)ri(gfg)e(h.) *() e(ixjvIH'GhvF'E)lé(ghg')i(g)son.(f.) ij.(::)
    Chri(ixj)ste(jv.hi!jv.) e(ixjvIH'GhvF'E)lé(ghg')i(g)son.(f.) ij.(::)
    Ký(f)ri(hj)e(ixjjkij.) e(ixjvIH'GhvF'E)lé(ghg')i(g)son.(f.) (::)
    Ký(f)ri(hj)e(ixjjkij.) *(,) (ixf!hj/jkij.) **() e(ixjvIH'GhvF'E)lé(ghg')i(g)son.(f.) (::)

I actually have the entire Kyriale in gabc on my computer, as well as the Kyriale Simplex. I thought these were compiled by Andrew some time ago, but they still need some serious proof reading.
    For some purposes it may also be handy to have an edition without the rhythmic signs, and an edition for the Extraordinary Form (the repetitions of the Kyrie are different).
  • Are we just collecting Kyries right now or are Glorias to follow later?
    And another question: Do we in any was transmit the traditional names like Pater cuncta, de Angelis and the Assignations like In Dominicis per annum or if you need it At Sundays throughout the year?
  • I added two columns for the titles (like Lux et Origo) and the use (like Tempore paschali).

To be practical for general use, the gabc code in the spreadsheet should be as clean as possible: so no forced line breaks (z), or forced spaces ( ), or forced hyphens.

For spelling, I propose not to use the letter "j", but use the "i" instead (Iesus), and to use the ligature forms of ae en oe.

Though I have all the chants in gabc, I don't have much time to fill the spreadsheet, unfortunately...
  • BenBen
    Excellent, Thank you so much.
  • When I've got a few moments, I'll add the chants from the booklet I've created for my parish.

Still probably a few errors lurking in there. I've recently found out how to correct the vertical episemas being put under the note by default.
  • BenBen
    Spots just added for the Gregorian Missal's selections in "A CHOICE OF ADDITIONAL CHANTS" (pp. 150).

GABC of the Kyriale