UPDATE: Youth Retreat Sacred Music Petition
  • BenBen
    Update: See the latest post below on how the retreat went.
    Anyone want to help me get this petition for sacred music at a youth retreat ready to go? It is editable, so have at it.

I'm hoping to get it out ASAP, so if you have the chance, I'd love everyone's input, if you can.

Petition for Sacred Music During Masses at Youth 2000
  • BenBen
    Thanks to those of you who helped this morning. It's looking great.
  • BenBen
    Many, many thanks to all who helped me with this. The petition is complete.
  • BenBen
    bump: sign if you are willing, I may be sending it to them soon. I'll post one final message right before I print it out and send.

Petition for Sacred Music at a Youth Retreat

I'm getting some good numbers on this.
  • BenBen
    Hey all, I'm planning on sending this sometime soon (ie, within a week), so if you want to sign it, but haven't gotten around to it, you might want to to it now.

Click the link to see the whole letter, but here is the gist of what we are requesting.

Based on the above points, and because the church has clearly stated on numerous occasions that Gregorian chant is “especially suited to the Roman Liturgy,” we, the undersigned, request the consideration of using, in Latin or English, chanted ordinaries and traditional Catholic hymns, or if at all possible, chanted ordinaries and propers at the Masses during the 2011 Youth 2000 retreat in Madison.

Sign this petiton
  • I will sign it, my friend!!!
  • BenBen
    I've been in communication with the diocese, which is planning this retreat... it appears that there is only a 25% chance that this will happen... pray. Pray hard. I really hope this happens...
  • BenBen
    Update: I just got back from the retreat. At the first of the three Masses over the course of the weekend (the OF pontifical Mass with Bishop Morlino), the praise and worship songs remained at the procession, offertory, communion and recessional, but all of the ordinary was chanted (K, A, S, Ad) to Jubilate Deo.

Nearly all of the youth attending ended up being part of my homeschool group or another quite conservative catholic school (btw, Aristotle Esguerra teaches at both...), so everyone was able to participate. It was awesome... now... maybe next year the schola can sing...

Brick by brick.
  • At least for the Pontifical Mass, couldn't you appeal to His Excellency, the über–conservative Bishop Morlino for more appropriate music?

How were the other two Masses?

Brick by brick is the only way to do it, unfortunately.