Changing the direction of parish music
  • I have just been assigned as pastor in a very large parish with an active music program. The parish has good quality musicians and singers, a congregational willingness to sing, a three-manual Rodgers Trillium organ that was installed correctly, and all the music is in the choir loft. What they have going against them is the decades-old use of Oregon Catholic Press materials (and in this heavily Hispanic parish, "Flor y Canto" -- aargh!) and a western-American sense of liturgy -- "We are in America, not Rome." I realize that I'm new and I don't want to begin making traumatic changes instantly, but would love to gradually begin introducing basic chant and better hymnody (e.g. the St. Michael Hymnal). I'd also like to find a more orthodox Spanish hymnal. I'm just not sure where to start. Could I get some advice?

By the way, I was a parish organist for many years before my ordination. Unfortunately, this was announced to the parish before I arrived.
  • I think that the best way to do this is to not say anything. Any announcements, notes in the bulletin, anything beyond just hearing the music can be a red flag to dissenters who are unhappy for whatever with the church.

Just change the music....the vast majority will not notice, being catholic and having learned to just accept what happens...the ones who do notice and complain, well, it's simple. Immediately pull out a little notebook (I recommend a Moleskin) and get them to write their name, phone and email address. Tell them that you are thrilled that they are concerned about the music in the church and ask them, once you get this info on the page and back in your hands, what music group that they want to join because you want the people in the church who are concerned about the music involved in making the music.

It's that simple. If they want to complain, they have to pay the piper. The people who really, really hate the changes will become your biggest supporters within a year. I have proof of that...

Also, your organist/s will freak out that you play. I used to substitute at a church where the priest was a Macurdy student at Curtis...stress! Just tell them that it is so wonderful NOT to have to play the organ that you really don't pay attention to wrong notes or anything...not that you ignore them, but because you are thrilled to have them there, so that you might celebrate Mass with their music.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Good advice, Noel! I would only add to express gratitude to those who welcome the change - especially the musicians willing to join the cause. This doesn't have to be done in public (lest feathers be ruffled), but it should be done.
  • Kathy
    Fr., just a few thoughts.

It happens to be just the right time to buy hymnals, because of the new translation. To ease the transition, one could keep a subscription to an OCP missalette, so there is a superficial continuity.

I'm very much of the opinion that the first thing to do is to sing a Psalm during the Communion procession.

The Flor y Canto hymnal has enough sound doctrine to fill a couple of months worth of hymns, and the seasons. I wouldn't begin by changing the musical idiom at a Spanish-language Mass.

Your musicians are likely to enjoy new repertoire so much that after some likely initial inertia, they will be on your side.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Hire a professional 4 person choir to sing a Mass that currently lacks a group or ensemble (i.e. one of the Masses that just has a cantor and organist). Have them do polyphony. Then add Gregorian chant later. If you have it done with quality singers, people will respond. Just handing the current DM and volunteer choir a piece by Palestrina or the GR is a way to guarantee that polyphony or chant won't be accepted.

You're the pastor. If you go to the finance council and insist on $500 a week to hire the choir, they'll accept. Just have it for 3 months to "try out."
  • francis
    Father:

My colleagues beat me to the punch... they have great advice... change slow, do less change with Spanish. How many of the Spanish actually read? We have a huge population of Spanish here, but only 15% can actually read their own language, so hymnals are a moot point.

Put more responsibility on the musicians to do new things (that will eventually morph out into congregational singing)... introduce them by having the people listen as a meditation. Even the parts of the Ordinary can be sung this way. Educate the congregation through inserts in bulletin about Sacred Music... even just little snipets... "Did you know? Latin is the universal and official language of the Roman Rite? ...Surprise!" etc. (jk)... but 1 or 2 paragraphs about an upcoming piece that the choir is singing, some history is a great way to wet their appetites. Many of the original hymns are actually just chant... be sure to do them! And they have English versions too.

Some are: Pange Lingua, Adoro to devote, Jesu dulcis memoria, O salutaris Hostia, the two "Veni" hymns for Pentecost, Salve Regina, Regina Caeli, Creator alme siderum, Resonet in laudibus, Stabat Mater, Hosanna filio David, etc.

You should definitely buy the choir the Parish Book of Chant... it is a wonderful way to get going.

http://musicasacra.com/pbc/

Let the choir introduce Latin chant and assure the people that their participation at that point is in listening and meditating on the mystery before them. Of course, Jubilate Deo is a good place to start with chant selections. After a good number of weeks, have the people sing the Kyrie (ok ... so it's Greek... it's going to be all Greek to them anyway)

Also, a great way to get them singing the chant is to begin by introducing the English versions of the chant that are found in the new MR3. They are all based in the Jubilate Deo chant melodies. What a stroke of Genius!

Here's a link for the book.

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/catholic-books/jubilate-deo/sku/20227

Do you have any books with chant in them at the moment? Curious... what kind of organ is in your church?
  • Lots of good suggestions; I like the idea of reassuring the organists. Since you didn't mention it, I will: please, please sing the priest's parts, whatever language is used for Mass. You might also encourage any other priests in the parish (you mentioned it's a large one) to sing the priest's parts. In my view, this is a common omission. We want to encourage the congregation to sing, but so seldom do the priests sing their specific parts. For the English Masses at least, this change ties in very much with the new Missal translation.
  • francis
    VG David:

Father: From the GIRM and Musicam Sacram:

“In the choosing of the parts actually to be sung, however, preference should be given to those that are of greater importance and especially to those to be sung by the priest or the deacon or the lector, with the people responding, or by the priest and people together.” (GIRM §40)

In this, the GIRM follows the 1967 instruction on sacred music, Musicam Sacram §7, which says “However, in selecting the parts which are to be sung, one should start with those that are by their nature of greater importance, and especially those which are to be sung by the priest or by the ministers, with the people replying, or those which are to be sung by the priest and people together.”
  • I will be using OCP this soon and have found that there are many modal antiphons in the psalter sections of OCP's song books. The schola or cantor can replace some of the verse settings with psalm tones (even with Latin texts) or with he Missal propers positioned as verses. These antiphons can be woven around some of the Latin hymns to encourage participation. Using Psalms and generic antiphons at the entrance and communion prepared our congregation for the propers.