Choosing Masses and motets for a volunteer schola
  • Putting together a strategy for a volunteer schola in my possible new diocese, I was struck by something. My jazz guitarist housemate has resisted the repetoire I have suggested, and when we did a country set for a retirement home BBQ, I found out why: it's too simple. At one point, he looked up at me and said, "This music is hard for me.": Keep in mind that he is one of those omnicompetent jazz guitarists who can sight read a Bach keyboard score. His reaction to the Kyrie from Palestrina's Missa Brevis was, "I wonder if I can transcribe that for guitar."

And he finds simple music hard.

Keeping that in mind, for a volunteer group that may be conductor-less during performance, is it better to choose things where at least one voice is 'busy," with enough notes to help everyone count?
  • Kenneth, your sights seem set very high.
    You and your housemate should both know that baroque counterpoint is a vastly different counterpoint from ars nova to classic polyphony. There's no "pat formula" for polyphony period to which any acoustic guitar (steel/nylon) can render with support for vocalists. Even guitar synthesis, live, would be hard put to pull off genuine polyphony, such as Missa Marcelli. Palestrina attributions run the gamut; them's that are essentially tonal and homophonic, go for it. The rest, teach your singers to count and watch.
    There is no such animal as a "volunteer group that (is)...conductor-less during performance." From the Kings' Singers through Chanticleer through the late Anonymous Four, these represent professionals, even if they're also amateurs (not paid.)
    You want volunteers to acquire skills, plan on staying at your gig for at least a decade, and never relent or retreat.
  • There are a couple matters here:
    1) Guitars and polyphony. There are some 16th-c mass sections intabulated for lute. If roomie wants to do that sort of thing, he should examine them...or even better, tune his G string down to F# and play them from tablature. You won't get everything into an intabulation; the lead lines are about it. And I suspect that such intabulations were never used for choral support; you wouldn't be able to hear them. When lutes started playing with choirs, it was late enough that they were probably playing some kind of proto-continuo.

2.) your main question: what to sing. I'm going to talk about editions first. They should be absolutely clear and legible, not cluttered with added editorial nonsense (dynamics and such). I suggest you settle on a beat value and stick with it (half note is most generally used), and avoid barless/Mensustriche editions until the group is well along. Their music reading experience has probably been with common-practice music, and if you're looking for good results at first, you shouldn't deviate too strongly from that. A beginning group shouldn't be expected to transpose music; notes should correspond to sounding pitch, and if it's necessary to do the piece at a different pitch, be prepared to enter it one way or another into a notation program and print it out down M2, m3 or P4 or whatever. Making music is hard enough without the notation getting in the way. Last night I sang a Requiem on about a half hour rehearsal, one to a part, and the Ordinary was in breve beat without barlines. It was very simple music, but the notation made it non-simple.

Repertoire: Most people start with music which is predominantly homophonic. There are good reasons for that, but it's also a crutch, and there's not so much of such music. I don't think it's necessary to have a texture be "busy". I do think it's advantageous to have music where most voices are in most of the time; most mistakes are made at phrase entrances.

3. Why "may be conductorless"? Can't you beat time and sing at the same time (yes, it's a pain)? Maybe everyone should beat time like Sacred Harp singers, at least in rehearsal; it would help them internalize the beat.
    In rehearsal you will need at least a facilitator, and actual direction/making artistic decisions is more efficient.

Another thing: read, read, read! Don't spoon-feed notes! If you need 2-3 on a part at first for security, do that. But they will only learn to read by reading.If they're volunteers, you can pay them in repertoire...which means doing enough repertoire to be adequate pay.
  • This is all great.

There IS a volunteer schola with a handful of singers that keeps a Latin Mass afloat in CA, but I cannot provide details. I will have to check with my friend that is in it. The diocese I may move to—and that is “may” and has been postponed a bit—is rich in schools with music departments and opportunities to sing, but has no serious Latin Mass presence that I can detect.

The organizing part I get. I am not a neophyte. However, after I converted, I took a vacation from church business because churchiness had broken my spirit. But that stretched too long, and then I got seriously ill. Now, I am raring to go. I spent a lot of time and money on a good education, although now I am realizing what I missed, of course.

At my last Protestant church, which was going through a very difficult time, I did my best to put together the best service I could. The founding pastor, who had returned to cheer people up, blurted ou at the end, “I feel like a priest!!!.” A good friend winked at me from the pews. My lifelong best friend was there, and he asked what went into it. I basically said, “Prayer, educated judgment, and 14 hours.” And that was doing hymns and modern songs with very experienced musicians, some of them professional.

What I meant by “conductorless” was that, unless I get 12 voices, I won't be doing much beyond keeping time during performance. In the intro to chironomy on the literature page here, there is an admonition, “When moments of confusion overcome you, as may well happen, concentrate on beating SOMETHING.” A friend said that sounds like life advice. But that is what I will be doing. Thanks for the reminder.

The thing on entrances was golden advice.

The point about my guitarist housemate—who is sitting next to me and has papered the music room with r&b charts for a wedding gig--was not that he was going to do a transcription of Palestrina, but that he found SIMPLE music attractive but daunting, exactly along the lines of the point about entrances. And that was what I was wondering about. I am still in the learn-music-by-memorizing-it phase, and so the number of motets we would do at first would be limited by that. Perhaps the chant—in which I am quite well formed—plus the Simple English Propers and such will be our starting repetoire.

If I move, and if anyone responds to my notice about a schola. And I find a parish where we can rehearse...if, if, if....

But this has been very helpful.

Kenneth
  • Oh, I see where the confusion comes from--something dropped out from what I first wrote. This computer is jumpy. My guitarist has dragged his heels on the repetoire I picked for US to do in bars, etc, for fun. I finally paid for a singing lesson for him so he could understand why instrumentalists and vocalists can REHEARSE together, but can't PRACTICE together, if that distinction was clear. He works with a wonderful Brazilian singer, and I pointed out to him that she just sat there why he and another guitarist worked on the arrangement.

To get him to actually get with the program, I picked his favorite jazz song--Bernstein's Some Other Time--and showed him how an octave drop is a killer for me but not him. 'Play two notes on guitar. Now listen to my voice as I sing the same two notes." So he doesn't want to spend a week listening to me going, "Oh, well." (If you know the song.) That was what I meant. He is not doing Palestrina. He is doing a reggae transcription as I write. But his reaction to simple music in our repetoire---exactly because he is stuch a stellar musician--is what got me to thinking about repetoire FOR SCHOLAE. Two separate repetoires. My mind jumped the way my computer does. Enough of me now.
  • Having mulled over everything for a while, I came to the conclusion that the best way to start would be with what I know best. I am at the point where teaching and conducting Gregorian Chant is probably the best and most logical step. Assuming I am working with a group of middling abilities, that should take up quite a bit of the calendar. The idea of "too many notes"--not memorizing, but knowing and reading while singing--may be the main thing to get across.

Then it would seem most logical to go step by step with polyphony, using Corpus Christi Watershed in exactly the way that it was designed to be used. From there we would move on to more complicated things. If I dedicated myself to polyphony the way that I did to Chant, the way should become clear fairly soon.