Not the first time the propers have been mandated.
  • In getting to know the perhaps 20 board feet of chant books in the CUA library, I am beginning to understand that a lot of them were attempts at making chant more accessible. A lot of chants are repeated, and easy enough to find in the L. Usualis.

I found a "Graduale cum Manuali Chorali," if I have my final vowels correct (I have horrible handwriting.) The inside title is "Graduale abbreviatum sive epitome et missali et graduali romanum." The opening note is this:

The Apostolic See has decreed, and one at least of the English Bishops has in Synod called upon his clergy to carry out this decree, that "in every sung Mass the Introit, Gradual, Offetory, and Communion must not be ommitted, but should be chanted, or at least monotoned."

The date? 1899.

If anyone knows where I would find that decree, I would appreciate knowing, as the current Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship dates from St. Pius X, though not in its current form, of course
  • I know of two documents issued by the Congregation of Rites prior to 1900 concerning sacred music:

24 September 1884 (By the Congregation for Rites): Rules for the improvement of church music
    21 July 1894 (By the Congregation for Rites): New rules for church music

I suppose they were written in either Latin or Italian, but I don't have their original titles (nor have I ever been able to find these documents). It would be great to see these documents, as they may be interesting with regard to the singing of the Latin Propers during Low Mass (and the place of Propers and hymns in general).

EDIT: the two documents are mentioned in H. T. Henry, 'Music-Reform in the Catholic Church'. The Musical Quarterly 1(1) (Jan., 1915), pp. 102-117. Here, Henry writes:

Finally, Leo XIII., the immediate predecessor of Pius X., had, through the Congregation of Rites, issued two important documents: one, a decree concerning the official editions of choral books; the other, a general Regulation (Regolamento) concerning the composition and execution of ecclesiastical music. Both of these are discussed fully in the American Catholic Quarterly Review (January, 1895, pp. 82-111). About ten years previously (24 September, 1884) a similar Regolamento had been isued by the Congregation of Rites for the Churches in Italy.

EDIT 2: The mentioned article is H. T. Henry, 'The Recent Decrees on Church Music'. The American Catholic Quarterly Review 20(77) (Jan., 1895), pp. 82-111 and can be found online at www.archive.org.
  • I think I found the Latin text of the decree of 7 July 1894. It's in Musica Sacra 6(7) (Jul., 1894), pp. I-VI and can be found online at www.archive.org. It also has a German translation.

EDIT: The Italian instruction Regolamento per la musica sacra (6 July 1894) can also be found on www.archive.org: Musica Sacra 6(8) (Aug., 1894), appendix pp. 3-6. Again, it also has a German translation.

The date 21 July 1894 I mentioned earlier refers to the accompanying letter to the Italian Bishops.
  • That's awesome. Thanks. Those things HAVE to be here somewhere at CUA. I will dig next week.

However, given the fact that all these chant books turn out to be something like The Parish Book of Chant in intent--to give people something in their hands they could use--it is amazing what a different world we live in. This work can be mutliplied and given to all thanks to the dedication of a few....and the internet...and our lives are richer for it.

Thanks.

Kenneth