"At the Dawning of Creation" set to CORDE NATUS
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Kathy Pluth has graciously agreed to the setting of her eloquent pro-life hymn text At the Dawning of Creation to my harmonized hymn tune CORDE NATUS (87. 87. D). This hymn tune of mine was originally composed for Of the Father's Love Begotten and included a descant for the final stanza, but the traditional DIVINUM MYSTERIUM tune for this hymn seems destined to preclude CORDE NATUS ever gaining much traction as an alternative. From the moment I first read Kathy's striking text, I felt that it and my hymn tune would be a good pairing.

For this new setting, I have composed a second descant. This new descant may be used for stanzas 2 and 6, and the original descant may be used for stanzas 4 and 7. Then both descants may be used simultaneously for the final stanza. The two descants will be found on pages 3 and 4 of the enclosed PDF file. Shortly, I will post at CPDL this hymn and a synthesized MP3 recording that includes these two descants. As an aside, those who attended this year's Colloquium XXI might remember that similar "double descants" of mine for Come down, O Love Divine were used in the recessional hymn at the first Mass.

At this time when we recall the tenth anniversary of the insane loss of life of September 11, 2001, it is also important for us to remain aware of and to be ever vigilant for the tragic loss of life of countless unborn children. Take Kathy's words to heart ... and if my tune helps this cause in some small way, then I will be forever grateful.

Edit: Corrected PDF uploaded now
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The setting of Kathy's pro-life hymn has now been uploaded and posted at CPDL.

Here is the MP3 synthesized recording, with the two descants as described above:

At the Dawning of Creation
  • Gratias ago vobis, Carolus et Catherine! This is wonderful.

Charles, vide m.6: do you really want an eighth followed by a quarter (and if so, where is the other eighth :-)?
  • Kathy
    I'm really pleased that Charles is making this available. I don't think there are many hymns on the subject, and I'm not a big fan of Beach Spring, which is the tune I originally had in mind, and which made the text sound almost militaristic. I would prefer that it sounds grateful, which I think it does now.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks Patricia Cecilia. The eighth was supposed to be a quarter, and it's fixed now. One unfortunate feature of Finale is that when it is first opened, it opens in simple entry mode with an eighth note as the note that will get entered (or overwrite a note already there) if one clicks on a space where a note could go (or already is). This occasionally leads (as in this case) to unplanned insertion of an eighth note (or change of a note of longer duration to an eighth). Probably when I opened the score to print to a virtual PDF printer, I must have accidentally clicked the score where the offending eighth suddenly appeared ... it's easy to do with a laptop (which is the one thing I really dislike about my laptop) - too hard a tap on the cursor movement pad gets turned into a click (drives me nuts!).

Now I'll upload the corrected PDFs to CPDL, too.

Thanks for your kind words, so glad you enjoy!
  • Bumping this up as timely. BTW, Charles and Kathy, we are using it as the Communion meditation at the OF Pro-Life Mass in our diocese on 14 January (my schola + select choir from my son's Catholic high school, about 20 singers all told). If all works out, I may even get a recording.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Wow, thank you, Patricia Cecilia! I hope it all works out well for you (and a recording would be soooooo nice!)
  • Kathy
    Excellent!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In another thread, I've posted an updated version of my setting of Kathy's hymn text.
  • Kathy
    Bumping for the Jan 22nd commemorations of the Roe v. Wade decision, as the madness continues.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    As pointed out in the post just above Kathy's, there is an updated version which should be used in lieu of the original one at CPDL and linked to earlier in this thread. For completeness and ease of downloading, here are the "new" (okay, two year old) files:

At the Dawning of Creation set to my hymn tune CORDE NATUS.

Organist score for CORDE NATUS, with an optional introduction (alternative to playing the entire hymn through once), the descant parts above the verses, and an ending for the final stanza.

MP3 sound file which plays the introduction, followed by the hymn setting played four times, with Descant 2 on the second stanza, Descant 1 on the third stanza, and both Descants on the fourth stanza.

• Kathy
    Bumping for Thursday. Use if you can.
  • Kathy
    Bumping for Saturday's protests.

May God bless us all.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Heath
  • Kathy
    Bumping for Friday's snowmageddon DC March and other regional protests.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    See the thread March for Life Mass for the most recent (and directly downloadable) version of Kathy's "At the Dawning of Creation."

Good luck and blessings are wished for all participating in Washington, D.C. this weekend ... where it's likely that people will be digging out after a heavy snowfall.

Thanked by 1Kathy
  • BruceL
    If anyone needs it, I have it set to RESTORATION. Thank you, Kathy!
  • Kathy
    My pleasure, Bruce, and thanks!

By the way, someone suggested Hyfrydol, which I think works beautifully.
  • Kathy
    I know this hymn has proved useful at several cathedrals and many churches, and am reviving it here for Respect Life month.
  • I like CHG's hymn tune but the suggestion of Hyfrydol is great too. Thanks for bumping this thread. I wasn't on the forum when it was new; I'm terribly glad to know of this wonderful text!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Kathy
  • Kathy
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen