The Installation Mass of the Archbishop of Philadelphia
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Whoever it was that engraved the music seems to have used "ties" for every instance where a "slur" should occur - a rather unprofessional look for such an otherwise very professional looking document.

Oh, and people still can't get used to the Victoria "Ave Maria" not being by Victoria.

I wonder what people will have to say about the musical selecta.
  • BenBen
    I'm showing my ignorance here, but with the ties & slurs, what's the difference?
  • Notational convention. Slurs end at the notehead, and in most engraving software if you use a tie instead of a slur, it will go straight to the right regardless of how far the consecutive note is up or down in pitch.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Mostly commenting on mostly choral works of mostly dead composers:

Preludes
    * Christopher Tye (1505-1572) - Laudate Nomen Domini ... superb piece
    * Samuel Sebastian Wesley (1810-1876) - Thou Wilt Keep Him in Perfect Peace ... an Anglican ditty?
    * Gabriel Faure (1845-1924) - Cantique de Jean Racine ... somewhat of a French warhorse
    * Lloyd Pfautsch (1921-2003) - Seek to Serve ... don't really know this piece, but it is very much "I" centered
    * Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) - Hallelujah ... is one expected to assert "Hallelujah" for this choice?

Reception of the Bishop in his Cathedral Church
    * Bruce Saylor - Hymn to Joy Fantasy (1955) ... where did the inspiration to mix "Joyful, Joyful we adore you" and "Sing we of the Blessed Mother" come from?
    * Normand Goiun - Ecce Sacerdos ... appropriate for the Entrance of the Bishops

Entrance Chant
    * Gregorian Chant - Salve Sancta Parens ... yes!!

Gloria
    * Chant Mass VIII, choral sections by Cardinal Dominico Bartolucci ... any Zzzz's?

Responsorial Psalm
    * John Romeri (arr. for this Installation Mass)

Acclamation Before the Gospel
    * Christopher Walker - Salisbury Alleluia (1982)

Preparation of the Altar and the Gifts
    * Philip Stopford - The Spirit of the Lord ... commissioned for this Installation Mass

Sanctus
    * Richard Proulx - A Community Mass ... "God of power and might" gone!

Mystery of Faith
    * Normand Gouin (arr.) - Mass of Saints Peter and Paul

Amen
    * Richard Proulx - A Community Mass

Agnus Dei
    * Normand Gouin - Mass of Saints Peter and Paul

Communion
    * Gregorian Chant - Beata Viscera Mariae Virginis
    *Robert Kreutz (arr. Peter Latona) - The Gift of Finest Wheat ... Latrona arrangement commissioned for this Installation Mass, hopefully an improvement?
    * Colin Mowbray (b. 1936) - Ave Maria

Hymn of Praise
    * Tomas Luis Victoris [sic] (1584-1611) - Ave Maria ... nice piece, believed now to be by Handl (Gallus)

Recessional
    * Robert A. Hobby (arr.) - O God, Beyond All Praising [tune: Thaxted] ... fine English hymn
  • C.H. Giffen--Samuel Sebastian Wesley (grandson of Charles, son of Samuel from his second wife) is the bridge between G.F. Handel and C.V. Stanford in terms of English choral music. More noted for being the most gifted organist England has ever heard, many of his anthems (including the one in the Installation Mass) are gems in the Anglican repertoire.
  • Mostly commenting on mostly choral works of mostly dead composers.

Let the Zombie Composer Apocalypso commence!
    Mostly...mostly....mostly DEAD." Chuck, I'm in such a weirded out morning mood, I read that as if overhearing some valley girls yakking in the food court of a mega mall.

""I mean, yeah, uh, Tiffany told me that Whitacre was gonna show up at Aeropostale, he's so dreamy, like, um y'know he used to surf at Huntington EVERY DAY until those gnarly girls from beginning girls' glee cut class to go to the pier, like McDreamy Eric's gonna notice, hurl. Yeah, but, um, oh look, is that Skippy Lauridsen, ooh, ooh, y'know for a hippie he's totally sick! Wow, look over at Sbarro's, wow, like Bach is really giving that cashier h-e-double hockey sticks, his fingers are still attached and like trembling, did you catch that, mostly?
    Dude, don't turn around, but Beethoven's just about to chomp down on some loser geek listening to....uh, John Mayer! Ewwww, gah-ross! I mean like, can't you smell him from here, mostly? Ooh, ooh, Jennifer looooookkkk, yeah, at Starbucks! Isn't that Tchaikovsky chatting it up with Samuel Barber? That's so like, um, cute, y'know? I'm a bit weirded out that Barber looks so leathery, maybe he should take some of those energy drinks, like mostly......seriously!"

I need a vacation.
  • Kathy
    Mostly dead composers:

http://youtu.be/xbE8E1ez97M
  • Egads....Maybe I'm just in a good mood, but frankly, compared to other installations, this is lovely. Singing the introit and the communion antiphon....healthy use of polyphony....yeah, there are some engraving issues...but, frankly, I'm impressed.
  • DougS
    The slur/tie thing certainly is bizarre.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Having been reared a Methodist, I'm well aware of the Wesley family. Indeed, S.S. Wesley was a gifted composer ... my comment had to do with Anglican music at a Catholic installation ... and it was tongue in cheek. I guess I was pulling on too many - or the wrong - legs. Apologies to anyone offended.

Indeed, I thought the overall quality of music chosen was definitely on the plus side. I just wish I had an opportunity to follow the live feed.
  • "Mostly dead composers"

"It just so happens that your composers here are only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive."

;o)
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Oh, and people still can't get used to the Victoria "Ave Maria" not being by Victoria.

I try to at least say "attributed to." It avoids giving a musicology lesson to the congregation. And while we're pretty sure Victoria had nothing to do with it, it at least acknowledges that for a long time, people thought he did.
  • BenBen
    @ Aristotle

[roll eyes] LOL!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Aristotle ... at my age, I'm pretty sure I'm close to mostly dead, too. I was hoping someone would get the "mostly-dead composers" versus "mostly dead-composers" possibility. Thanks! :)
  • BruceL
    I would say, in John's defense, that there is rather more music by living composers here than a lot of big liturgies. In those big liturgies that DO have a lot of living composers, I might say that they are decidedly of the "Gather" variety... Also, he did commission some things for this, which is a laudable practice.

Regarding the program with the slurs/ties, I believe the gentleman who did the program design is actually one of my parishioners. I'll mention this to him.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    BruceL ... I was actually quite impressed by the overall quality of the musical selecta, at least of all those I know. It is heartening that even the contemporary selections were of a nobler ilk than the garden variety "Gather" variety. John is indeed to be congratulated.