Why are we still distracted by hymns?
  • Kathy
    The one thing that liturgists agree on, right and left, is that propers are preferable to hymns at the Entrance, Offertory, and Communion processions of the Mass. The one thing that anyone paying attention can agree on is that this preference is widely ignored. Why is this?

My guess is that hymns have become part of the Catholic cultural expectation of the Mass. From Cathedrals to parish churches, hymns are normally expected at Mass by everyone in attendance.

Part of the solution is to provide alternatives. But what can "undo" a cultural expectation? Time? Experience? Rhetoric? Leadership?
  • So this is a very interesting point.

Honestly, Kathy, I don't think it is so much an attachment to hymns that is a "problem." The problem has been the absence of settings of propers that are compelling and accessible for parishes. Unless you came to musicasacra.com, you could shop for weeks and never find anything. Propers dropped from Catholic consciousness. Not surprising in retrospect. In the preconciliar days, people were happy for Low Mass where propers were spoken by the priests, which enabled the choir and people to sing whatever they wanted so long as it was NOT the proper of the Mass - which is a very strange thing. High Mass mostly meant Psalm tones.

Plenty of evidence suggests that remedying this situation was one of the driving forces behind the liturgical reform. But look what happened. Everything was put in English and there were no sung settings of English propers. For a very long time, it's been hymns vs. the Graduale Romanum - a book that 1 in 2000 Catholic musicians even knows exists. So of course hymns swept absolutely everything.

But look: we are making progress toward fixing this situation. The scraps here and there are being assembled now into books, and we have already two full published books of sung propers in English. The SEP in particular points to the Gregorian ideal.

If we can come to look at propers as ESSENTIAL to the liturgical structure, NEVER to be overlooked or replaced, and see hymns as edifying musical elaborations or tropes on the theme of the Mass, hymns can take an exalted and beautiful role in liturgy. Everything is more wonderful when it is placed properly and used correctly.
  • DougS
    Except that average music directors aren't going to wake up one morning, look at the SEP, and say, "Oh wow! I can finally do the propers that I've wanted to do for the past 20+ years."

Michael O'Connor once pointed out to me that there is a "weird" factor when it comes to the propers. The sound of psalm tone recitation, for example, is anticlimactic for someone expecting an upbeat processional hymn. Kathy is 100% right in this respect. I have been an "extra" at choir rehearsals in which the choir director says, "This is a *processional* hymn. We want it to be this way!" (meaning with gusto, as she gestured with her arms) This is the kind of cultural expectation that influences not only choices about musical style but what people believe the parts of the Mass actually mean.

By itself, a book isn't going to be the solution. It helps, but it's not a silver bullet.
  • Oh certainly! But it is a necessary first step. If there aren't any resources, it is hardly surprising that it is neglected.
  • Kathy
    Lol. I suppose my question is: what is the SECOND step?
  • gregpgregp
    Keep doing what we're doing now for the next 20 years. ;-)
  • Well, I must say that I do not share anyone's pessimism about propers and the receptivity to them.

1. Introit. It is a blessed relief to stand from prayer and watch a procession. I've never seen any evidence that Catholics arrive a Mass itching to sing sing. In any case, if singing is the thing, the Kyrie and Gloria come up pretty quickly. A procession is a beautiful thing to watch! And the sound of plainchant is extremely groovy. It says: Mass is amazing!

2. Offertory. Sing the proper and then sing a hymn. Most parishes don't have choirs that can even sing motets. So hymns here are great.

3. Communion. Sing the proper and then sing a hymn once people are settled back in their pews. Wonderful.

4. Recessional. Sing a hymn.

Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't see a problem. Leadership is just too cautious and squeamish about this stuff.
  • Kathy
    Here are different situations that I would rank in descending order of their receptivity to propers:

1. EF or EF/OF Parishes (staffed by FSSP, etc., or occasionally by diocesan priests)
    2. Individual parish Masses led by CMAA-trained musicians, perhaps at an off-hour on a Sunday (early morning or 1 pm)
    3. The "high" parish Mass at a cathedral or other parish where both the DM and the pastor have a similar orientation towards and interest in sacred music
    4. Other parish Masses under similar circumstances
    5. Masses in large suburban parishes where the pastor and DM have differing priorities re: sacred music
    6. Masses in large suburban parishes where neither the pastor nor the DM are interested in sacred music as such

I agree with gregp--20 years seems about right. On an optimistic day I think 15 years.
  • Being pragmatists, the second step is - at least for the entrance - to include both proper and hymn. At my parish we began chanting the Latin introit last year on a weekly basis as a prelude to the entrance hymn. Being in a space with a wonderful acoustic and pipe organ, dropping the entrance hymn would have been begging for trouble. But since the text of the introit is printed in a program, people have accepted its inclusion without fuss.

At our first choir rehearsal this week I learned we will be regularly singing the communion proper. Since the congregation is expected to sing so much I doubt if there will be any complaints.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Except that average music directors aren't going to wake up one morning, look at the SEP, and say, "Oh wow! I can finally do the propers that I've wanted to do for the past 20+ years."

For a very long time, it's been hymns vs. the Graduale Romanum - a book that 1 in 2000 Catholic musicians even knows exists. So of course hymns swept absolutely everything.

Indeed, perhaps only one in a hundred "average music directors" even knows enough about the existence of the propers in chant form to be able to have that "Oh wow!" perspective.

There is one aspect of this distraction by hymns which perhaps has not been fully appreciated: namely, that especially here in the United States ours is a melting-pot culture that is, even today, still in the process of homogenization from very heterogeneous elements. This is at least as true for the Catholic church in America as it is in just about any other area. The church culture in America today isn't "Italian" or "Irish" or "German" or "English" or "Spanish" or "Polish" or "whatever" ... nor has it been for decades - any more than secular culture in America is "Italian" or "Irish" or "German" or "English" or "Spanish" or "Polish" or "whatever" ... and we have been influenced as much by the catholic cultures of those thrown into the melting-pot just as much as our secular world has been.

American religious culture, including Catholicism, has been also influenced by the way in which hymns (including hymn writing and hymn singing) took root in a still youthful, expanding America and flourished, albeit largely through Protestant subcultures (Wesleyan and Anglican hymns, German chorales, etc.). Even German Catholicism has been influenced by the Lutheran chorale tradition.

Do we really expect that, when we attend a Roman Catholic Mass in the United States, then suddenly we are supposed to be transported into a carbon copy of exactly what everyone else is supposed to be doing? Is that really what the Church and we ourselves want? Vatican II came and went - and forever changed the landscape for good or for bad - but so did "1984" (a long time ago).

Dare I be blasphemous enough to suggest that hymns can be and are such a distraction because some of them are actually good, noble, uplifting, theologically and devotionally sound, ... and in some ways appropriate?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Okay, when I started the above post, there were only a total of four posts (ending with Jeffrey's second post) ... so I was responding to the situation in this thread about "distraction by hymns" - and not about any turns this thread has taken.
  • Good timing from my POV, as we celebrate our 150th anniversary tonight (finally!) which provides the opportunity to "showcase" what Jeffrey describes and what many of us have been furtively folding into normative expectations, aka Mahrt's "Stuffed Mass." (Though RollingRon dubs me Mr. Circumambulation) I've yet to convince my pastor to begin the Ministerial Entrance from the sanctuary/sacristy door at Sunday Mass, tonight we'll have a sequential procession of vested concelebrants from throughout the diocese, the introit of the celebrant and pastor, with the retired bishop of Monterrey in choir immediately behind. I say "showcase" because, finally, we can chant the Introit upon the celebrant's entrance and procession so the people can continue to watch the ceremony of the procession from concelebrants (joining in the antiphon if they wish) and as the celebrant and ministers reach the sanctuary to venerate the altar we seamlessly transition to a hymn. We rehearsed it last night with our MC and pastor, deacons and acolytes and I think my guy finally gets "it." It's in a word: catholic!
    Neither Jeffrey nor many of us can actually prove that propers were "unlearned" after VII, but I'm equally unwilling to validate Todd F's assertion that they are random remnants of scripture cobbled together for people to "mark" moments at daily or "quiet" Sunday Masses. Having sung through the cycle over the last four years, it's simply obvious that the textual content of proper processional antiphons (we're likely not going to ever approach the gradual/melis. alleluia/tract) is an inextricable, integral element of the Liturgy of the Word. I'm also not sure that both "left and right" of the litwar brigades accepts propers as integral, as Kathy states. However, if there's an elephant in the room about this issue I believe it to be that recovering the normative expression of propers, just as hardly anyone rejects the lectionary cycle as a primary element of catholic liturgical praxis, restores a cultural identity we should own distinctively, that is "This is 'CATHOLIC.'" This might be seen as a prideful thing by ecumenists, but I don't buy that. The hallmark of Christian identity is humility, submission of ego to Christ and His Church. Well, like it or not, church fathers and their advisors articulated and continue to clarify the elements of liturgy. And we, all of us!, should LISTEN to the voice of authority that we can knowingly accept what it says, or reject it in the light of day, not just in the dark of buildings confining or the hiding place of the blogs. We are CATHOLIC and this is how we are do this, get over it.
    I believe there's only a few of us who can actually assist in performing liturgy as we would, as the faithful, want to experience as a congregant. So we will continue to balance propers/hymns/songs in various forms and styles, mensurate or chant, strophic or otherwise. But to simply "give up" to the relentless mantra that 99% of everybody "chooses" option four every Sunday should be resisted militantly.
    We must meet liturgy's needs locally and in the moment. If we have reached a threshold, as JT mentioned over at the Cafe, where English chant is a terminus for a while, then fine-that's where some of us will dwell. If others providentially are enabled to move towards a Latin NO/EF experience as normative, most excellent! If others still use majestic, solid strophic hymnody to mark the processionals, and render the ordinary and other propers in a sacred, universal and beautiful manner, huzzah!
    But, if any parish music leadership opts for status quo, or "missalette liturgy" like an infant "opts" for pablum, or a nest of goslings for the regurgitated nourishment from the hen, they are recalcitrant, timid stewards like the servant who buried the treasure in the field rather than to risk a greater benefit.
    Thus endeth the rant.
  • jpal
    Part of the solution is to provide alternatives. But what can "undo" a cultural expectation? Time? Experience? Rhetoric? Leadership?

All of these, but I think it's different for every parish. For your average American parish, alternatives to hymns probably can't be done without some sort of more or less severe shock. This was true at my parish. The "frog in hot water" analogy does not apply when you have frogs that are extremely sensitive to the most minute, even imperceptible change in water temperature (as is the case with people emotionally attached to certain musical styles at Mass). Even a miniscule change in the "commentator's" little homily before Mass (as was the practice for decades) sent people up in arms and had the rumor mill going so that half the parish thought that the pastor was going to "fire" all the "lay ministers" and make every Mass be in Latin.

The propers are a relatively minor issue compared to the overall culture of many parishes, whose PIPS think of the liturgy as a weekly prayer group (not to mention, how many really believe in/understand the Real Presence?). So we've been having an all-out educational blitz about the Mass, music, and the new translation. It involves coordinating the bulletin, the pulpit, pre-Mass explanations, a clear and published plan for when certain musical changes take place in the parish, free seminars (recently completed) on the history and theology of sacred music as well as how to sing the Mass (videos of which will be made available through the parish website), free CDs of new music (including the new translation) distributed after Mass to every family.

In the end, altering a "cultural expectation" can only be done by creating a new expectation, and that takes a lot of time, probably a generation. The three basic steps we are taking are the following:

(1) Use every possible means to educate as much of the parish as possible about why something is changing and what that changes will be.
    (2) Make the changes. Repeat above explanation.
    (3) Let it sink in.

By the end of next summer, we will have full propers at every Sunday Mass, with hymns (from the Vatican II Hymnal) more or less at the places JT suggests. Each Mass will be a little different, because there are different choirs with different capabilities. It will have taken two years to get there (after having Glory and Praise songs at every Mass). It will take about a decade to really sink in.

Jon
  • So I don't mind saying that I just had a wonderful phone conversation with Kathy about all these matters. We both agree that there needs to be MUCH more thought put into strategies for parish reform of music. This is tricky stuff and very exciting!
  • DougS
    This thought is slightly ancillary to the thread, but I have all 3 of the major music history textbooks for music majors sitting right here on my office bookshelf (I'm teaching Antiquity-1530 this semester). Every one of them--Grout/Palisca/Burkholder, Mark Evan Bonds, and Simms/Wright--has a wonderful chart explaining the difference between the Mass Ordinary and the Mass Propers, and there is no indication in any of them that the Propers were just tacked on or "optional." No, each author presents the Propers as an integral part of the Mass.

So, theoretically, there are thousands and thousands of musicians who sat through music history sequences just like mine, had the parts of the Mass drilled into their heads, and walked away amazed by the delights of the Propers. Some became music directors at Catholic parishes and obviously "forgot" everything they learned. Why? Dr. Musicologist might not have had the foresight--or even knowledge--to say, "And Mass Propers are still part of Catholic liturgy today, believe it or not!" This can make a huge difference.

Now, I'm not blaming poor overworked music history professors for failing Catholicism. What I'm doing is blaming American Catholic culture for distorting the perspective of those authority figures (however significant or insignificant they may be in the world of music in America) who might actually influence the life of a young person interested in sacred music. This from one of the aforementioned textbooks: "Only with the Second Vatican Council of 1963-65 did the tradition of plainchant as a vital element of the Roman Catholic liturgy come to an end." True enough, but that's not really the whole story is it?

In sum, there are pressures from inside *and* outside Catholicism that have influenced current understandings of what the Mass is.

It warmed my heart today when one of my students came up to me after class (we actually JUST went over Proper/Ordinary/Office chants) and said, "You know, I started singing at the one church in town that has a Tridentine Mass a couple of months ago, I showed up, and the director just had me sing. I had no idea what was going on; there was no explanation. After going through this chapter in the book, it all makes sense!" I asked if he sang at the church's OF too and he said yes, it's basically the same format. I don't know if this person is Catholic or not, but sometimes town and gown really can work together to make things happen--one person at a time (or maybe 30).
  • (Though RollingRon dubs me Mr. Circumambulation)

Hey, Charles! I thought whatever happens in New Orleans stays in New Orleans.

We must meet liturgy's needs locally and in the moment.

We as the current "bricklayers", while heeding that advice, cannot succumb "to the relentless mantra that 99% of everybody 'chooses' option four every Sunday." Jon provides another blueprint to the architectural design.
  • jpal
    @Jeffrey: Just wondering -- was that comment regarding the plan I outlined? Specific comments or concerns would be welcome from anybody....email me here. Or just post your comments.
  • I cannot rebut the assertions of my hymn-loving, praise and worship co-parishioners that Col 3:16 "…sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs…." not only validates but practically mandates that GIA and OCP be the sole liturgical music resources we use at our parish.
    I am no musician - but is there a rebuttal you can suggest that I say to those who hate chant and have never heard of a proper?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Theoretically, yes, thousands of music majors sat through music history courses and might even remember what they were taught. Most probably do not remember, most are not employed as church musicians (in any church, let alone the Roman Catholic church), and quite possibly, most are not even working as musicians. And I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of musicians in the Catholic church (including local music directors) were not graduates with a degree either in music or in religion.

We could wish it were different, but it isn't. At least I see constructive suggestions being made here.
  • Kathy
    I (like) Jeffrey's comment. Forward!
  • I really doubt that catholics in the US would miss hymns.

1. In many parishes only a few people actually sing

2. The hymns they "love" are usually not hymns, but emotional tear-jerkers like "On eagles wings"

3. The other hymns they "love" tend to be protestant and do not reflect Catholic Practice - "Let Us Break Bread Together On Our Knees - and teaching.

Less than 50% of US catholics, probably far less, sing the hymns. So less than 50% of them are going to complain.

There will be complaints, many from the ones who don't sing who will be upset that the hymns they don't want to sing are not being sung. But all complaints will come from that small percentage of catholics who believe it's their church, Father is just an employee of theirs and the Pope is a waste of money sitting on stacks of money, art and gold at the vatican.

These people should be ignored anyhow.

;<])•< <br />
    man with large smile wearing tie.
  • BenBen
    psst... bow ties are better (and no, I'm not JT in disguise).

:PX

Man sticking out his tongue, wearing a bow tie.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    FNJ ... your perspective or experience is rather different from my own.

1. In many parishes only a few people may sing just about anything, but many will sing traditional hymns they have known or (if they are a bit younger) when they hear everyone else singing these hymns.

2. This deals with songs that are not properly hymns ... no real disagreement.

3. The other hymns they "love" include some of protestant provenance (but these include quite a number that are theologically sound and widely accepted in Catholic practice, e.g. "Come down, O Love divine" and other hymns of Anglican origin, several of Wesley's hymns, and a goodly number of hymns/chorales of German origin), as well as a core of traditional Catholic favorites ... maybe you just don't program these?

I agree that probably less than 50% of US Catholics sing the crap they're fed, and they won't complain about missing that trash. Even though they haven't been fed a nutritious diet of hymns, they should have been, and they would likely complain if they were to be cut off from good hymn practice. You better believe that those who know and appreciate good hymns are far more likely to complain, perhaps justly so, if they are simply eliminated.

And yes, there are some people who should be ignored anyhow.

(o-;}

Man with hair parted in middle singing "O for a thousand tongues to sing", winking at you.
  • CharlesW
    I am not distracted by hymns, but like them and use them - good ones, that is. My congregation sings them because we have a core of known traditional hymns, and don't throw something new at them every week. I use propers too. Propers, however, are choir and cantor pieces and are not music the congregation can sing. I suspect that may be a key reason they have disappeared in many places.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    CharlesW ... good going!
  • 1. In many parishes only a few people may sing just about anything, but many will sing traditional hymns they have known or (if they are a bit younger) when they hear everyone else singing these hymns.

Yes, I agree with this....when we choose a hymn that they grew up with, the entire room comes alive.

3. The other hymns they "love" include some of protestant provenance (but these include quite a number that are theologically sound and widely accepted in Catholic practice, e.g. "Come down, O Love divine" and other hymns of Anglican origin, several of Wesley's hymns, and a goodly number of hymns/chorales of German origin), as well as a core of traditional Catholic favorites ... maybe you just don't program these?

These are hymns that I use...but are rarely sung in too many parishes.

Good hymns that combine good text and good music are rarely sung in many parishes.
  • Maureen
    It sounds like people want some kind of propers scriptural explanation book, relating propers to each other, the rest of the Scripture readings, and the individual Sunday/day. And I guess that might help people's appreciation of Mass, at that.

I think Dom Gueranger (or am I thinking of somebody else?) had some of this for the EF in his big huge cycle of the year book, but yeah, we don't have as much of this for the OF (unless that's included in SEP also, or Magnificat covers it). Those Mass planning workbooks are sometimes pretty pathetic about even putting the regular readings together in a way that makes sense, so there's probably a market.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to put something like that together. Maybe not for all the cycles by Advent 2012, but maybe in chunks.

Of course, if you want somebody really hyper on the case, you could talk to Scott Hahn. If he didn't want to do it, he'd know the Catholic Scripture/liturgy/Fathers/theology history/scholars who could.
  • Liam
    Who's distracted?
  • Hymns deserve more than just being Catholic Elevator Music.

Catholics know hymns are not important because they are just time fillers. In a Protestant church everything stops for hymns, they are an element of worship, they get respect.

The Propers are designed to illuminate the Mass by, along with the readings, making it fit the day. They are designed to project an idea, then repeat it after verses that are also on topic fill the time of the movement in the liturgy.

Hymns are cut short, even reducing the Trinity to a Twoity.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Liam ... I agree.

FNJ ... You are so way off base about Catholic Elevator Music and hymns being "just time fillers" - it shows that you really don't understand the value and purpose of hymns - not as a replacement for the Propers, which is a red herring you're trying to drag across the trail. That hymns are cut short is the fault of narrow-mindedness, either on the part of the music director or of the presiding priest (or both).
  • Off base....that's a mild response!

Hymns are picked based on 1. what the people know and will sing in some parishes and from that list 2. what might fit the liturgy.

They are rarely included at Mass to expand the repertoire of hymns with value and purpose.

I do understand the value and purpose of hymns. A hymn as a communion reflection is one that has value and purpose. All hymns sung at Mass have value and purpose.

The person that is off base is the pastor/cantor/organist/keyboard player/guitarist who gives the cut off before all the verses have been sung in response to the need to move on.
  • CharlesW
    Hymns tell a story and it stops the story dead to quit before the end. Saying that, however, we used to have an associate pastor we called "Last Verse O'Neil." After the mass had run over its alloted time, and folks were lining up outside for the next mass, you guessed it. Old "Last Verse" would still be lingering at the altar at the 7th verse of an 8-verse recessional hymn. Sometimes you do have to adapt the hymn to the realities of time.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    FNJ - I misread you statement about Elevator Music ... we are in agreement that hymns deserve more. And I'm now guessing you were saying "Catholics know..." with a bit of a wink (that I missed). A thoughtfully chosen communion hymn ... wonderful.

And we definitely see eye-to-eye about the "cut-off" person. :)
  • Kathy
    Psalms tell a story, too, and we don't scruple about ending them before the last verse.
  • But we sing the psalms as filler between antiphons, and since this practice came when the entire set of psalms were chanted in what...14 days or so...to hear a bit of the psalm thrown in there wil like dialing across the radio and hearing a familiar song with just a couple of measures reminding you of the entire song, how it ends, where you heard it last and so on.

Are they cut short in the midst of the liturgy of the hours?
  • Kathy
    Yes, they are.
  • Stopping in the midst of a psalm to be picked up later on is different from singing two verses of On Eagles Wings and stopping.

Although it being a welcomed stop in the ears of musicians.
  • I can't help but think the reason discussions center on hymns so much is because on a sub-conscious level people know that in this country, in this day and age, if Catholics don't hear hymns at Mass they won't hear them anywhere else and if Catholics don't sing hymns at Mass, they won't sing the anywhere else.