Missale to be sung?
  • Jevoro
    Reading the Ceremoniale episcoporum (post-conciliar version in french), i discover that even that official document tell us several times to sing the antiphones in/of the Missale...
    Wasn't it on "musicasacra" that i red an article about the song/unsong relation between the indications of Graduale romanum and the Missale romanum ones?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Yes, that's interesting. There is a long article in SM on that topic with citations.
  • To me, this seems the most confusing thing in the world — and CMAA is the only group who even cares enough to try to figure out what the Church tells us .... curiouser and curiouser
  • Jevoro
    Two possibilities, in my eyes:

Either you follow the welldocumented statement of Christopher Tietze: “Graduale or Missale: The Confusion Resolved” (Winter 2006 issue of Sacred Music): The indications of the Missale may just be re(a?)d when there is no song, i.e. nobody sings either the antiphone (introïtus, communio) from the Graduale (which may be sometimes textualy the same as the Missale ones), and nobody sing an other appropriated approuved chant. I think that he is right: this more rich variation of antiphones in the Missale have been introduced just for the case of no singing.

Either, neverthelesse, once the confusion is introdused until into official documents (surely because for normal sundays introïtus, the graduale version and the missale version is the same), you admit that the antiphons of the Missale may also be sung. That would then be an further (cf SC 121) post-conciliar invitation for musicians to compose/research/centonise melodies for this communion and introïtus. As did Jan Böhmer for the sunday communion in dutch.