Making the Unpoetic Poetic:
  • New article in NPM.

Read the title, fill in the blanks.

Author writes, ""It was Haugen's Mass of Creation that admittedly provided a model of my own new setting, Mass of Spirit and Grace."

These people are NOT happy with the "new restrictions" put upon composers with these new unpoetic texts.

They really do not care that the new texts much closer carry the intent of the Latin Mass.
  • Well, right. I mean, the new texts don't lend themselves to strict metrical settings. Hence the reason for chant.
  • Aw, come on, Jeff. You can shoehorn anything into 6/8!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    And I ask again... even if it *must* be metrical, why is it always 6/8??? So many of the settings offered by the big 3 are so sing-songy, it drives me nuts... Do people actually believe this music appeals to adults? I suppose so...
  • francis
    we all want to compose the next MOC and become infamous!
  • Jeffrey Quick
    What would happen were I to compose a MoC that was actually good church music? I might be infamous in some quarters, but I'd laugh all the way to the bank. I don't envy Marty the money, but I wouldn't mind having it.
  • I agree, JT, but the author is dead set on shoehorning these new and inferior for music translations into the music styles that served the church so well for the last 50 years. It's worked so well, why change it?
  • JQ- "For what profit a man should he gain the big bucks yet lose his soul?"
    :-)
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Well, that's the point...I'd like the big bucks without losing my soul. Sort of that Prosperity Gospel thing, ya know?
  • The new gloria certainly lends itself to a 6/8 setting, given the accents in the first sentence. But, 6/8 was so obvious, and so easily made "sing-songy" (even if that isn't the composer's intention), that I made it a personal challenge to write a metrical Gloria in 4/4. I showed it 2 friends, one preferring chant/polyphony and the other preferring contemporary music, and they both liked it, which probably means it's thoroughly mediocre in all directions!
  • francis
    i composed a gloria too... but i dont think anyone knows about it yet. tsin this pdf file... give me your honest thoughts

http://romancatholicsacredmusic.com/seehear/anEngOrdKoerber.pdf
  • BruceL
    We need a "like" button for Andrew's comment! 6/8 service music has made people a bundle of money in the past 30-40 years! However, the only way I can get my folks to sing it well is to say, "sing it like a drinking song"! I'll let you draw your own conclusions...