Does anyone else ever just get soooo depressed about the state of Catholic music?
  • marajoymarajoy
    of course. that's why we're on here...but still, it just makes me soooo sad when I see it.

One church near me, a very large suburban church, was practically built by the previous pastor, who was there for a verrrrry long time, and he was an excellent priest. Very reverent and devout, made good decisions, and knew where his priorities should be. New pastor comes in, thinks he knows everything, the MD is terrified of losing her job and so bends to his every request (or even what she *thinks* he wants). Guess what's programmed for this Sunday? Gather Us In. ugh. (that never would have been even allowed in the previous reign!)

At a church down the road, a very small church, I see a music director job description that mentions a keyword for traditional music. I get all excited and go to this church for weekly Mass, and after inquiring I am told that the pastor is *very reverent and devout.* Ok, great. I'm even more excited. I then see him say Mass, and it seems great, a couple people are wearing mantillas, a couple people go up and kneel in a row at after everyone else has received Communion to receive themselves. Good signs. But then? I have a personal encounter with the priest, and (without giving details) make a quick observation that he will not be involved much in the process to hire a MD.

Why does this bother me?
    The reminder that an otherwise "good priest" would just not CARE about who his MD is. He just wants someone to do the job. He doesn't have a *vision* for how important the music is. (I feel like we need to write a pamphlet directed at priests that is like, "Why priests should care about the music of the liturgy.")

ugh, I'm so depressed. For every one church that has a positive story about change and a new, good priest, it just seems like there is at least one other church that is "back-tracking," or passing up opportunities to really improve the quality, and through it the worship, at Mass.
    :-(
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Neglect, even the benign kind of neglect, is too often no better than open apathy or disdain. This priest doesn't seem to understand (or care about) his pastoral responsibilities. I share you sadness, Mara.
  • Hell, yes.
  • I stumbled upon some Catholic musicians who aim their stuff at kids. The whole thing reminded me way too much of Y-WAM (Youth With A Mission) the long standing Evangelical parachurch organization. Joe Queenan, the bitter lapsed Catholic critic, made the point well: there is nothing about this stuff that grows out of the faith. It is all sales.

And in fact, a lot of it is not that far off from what I described long ago as "corporate training film rock."

My experience with my last Evangelical youth group was the the boys, at least, said they liked it, but in fact just liked it the way they like a band that plays at their HS; something to do, way to have fun, disposable. It's not what they spin (or download, or teleport, or whatever) when the youth leader is not looking. Speaking as someone who went through a black-clad, spikey-haired phase (some long time ago), this is lousy rock.

Does all sales, all the time, really do anything for the kids? That was my article on "Kids and Mystery" that Arlene O-Z was gracious enough to post on Chant Cafe, and so you can imagine my answer is a great big NO. And thanks again to Arlene for putting it up there.

After Mass recently, I grabbed a young priest (very young) who was I think visiting one church , and pointed him at my voice teacher. He has a very nice baritone, but obviously no training (which he was quite ready to admit), and pitched the Doxology at the bottom of his range, with predictable results. I can say from my chat with him that he is very aware of the new emphasis on Chant, and feels out of his depth. Not when my voice teacher gets through with him; she's great on this stuff. But yes, having something for the priests would be welcome, I think.

Kenneth
  • "Does anyone else ever just get soooo depressed about the state of Catholic music?"

Only when I go to church.
  • Let's all grab a priest and point him at a voice teacher this Sunday as our good deed for the day! [good work, kenneth!]
  • Mara et al,
    As a tonic for said depression might I suggest reading Fr. Smith's article in current "Sacred Music" regarding "crisis" as a false hermeneutic?
    Rejoice and be glad!
  • CharlesW
    Do I get depressed? Sometimes. I don't like the taste of alcohol, so I can't even escape with that. ;-)
  • francis
    Double Hell, yes.

Charles in CenCa

I have a really good tonic in my liquor cabinet.
  • Francis,
    Are you trying to get a rise out of me? I keep wine, you know. And depression and anger are attendent to "crisis management," which may very well be , as I agree with the young Fr. Smith, a false hermeneutic to progress.
    I will tipple a dram of Chartreuse your way, by the way.
    My associate organist loves your stuff, also by the way. She also thinks it's cool that we speak to each other here now and then.
    Keep writing, mon ami,
    C
  • francis
    Charles in CenCa

A tip of the single malt to you also, dearest sir!

So glad we have met, even if it is only in cyberspace. One of these days I will be going to the Colloquium again, and then you and the many who hang out here can finally have the party we all truly deserve.

Please give your associate my regards.

Have no fear... God willing, I will be writing till I go to the big pipe organ in the sky. :)
  • Jeffrey Quick
    From my front-row seat to The Collapse of Western Civilization, the state of Catholic church music is actually quite far down on my list of things to be depressed about. For one thing, there's some effective pushback, and hope. For another, it's something that anyone who cares can do something about...if not by making good music, then by supporting those parishes that do care.

Seriously, in China or North Korea or Saudi Arabia, they'd love to have our problem.
  • Blaise
    Fortunately, I live in a city with a couple of parishes and a Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic mission where I can escape the standard fare. Even in the Maronite Catholic parish which uses some modern Roman hymns and songs (and occasionally some praise music as well), the Qurbono (Divine Liturgy, the Maronites also call it the "Mass", unlike Byz Caths) is chanted enough so their worship feels like a unified whole.

When I move to a location with scanty choices of parishes and scanty worship, then I'll feel depressed. But not to the point of drinking, in case you are wondering. :)
  • Darcy
    There should also be a pamphlet, "Why Bishops Should Care About the Music of the Liturgy." It doesn't seem to be very high on the priority list.
  • As I recall, I have been told Bishops go to "bishop school" for two weeks. That's it. They need a doctorate so, if they do not have one they get an honorary one with the office.

They are nothing but parish priests (hopefully, though some of them NEVER have served a parish - these are the true politicians of the church) and carry with them all their baggage of their interactions with parish musicians.

No one ever takes them by the hand and says, "Now that you are a Bishop you must abandon all you know about music as a parish priest trying to balance out what the people want, what the musicians want and dealing with that. At this point you have a new hat, you must become a scholar and learn how to lead your diocese to better music and better liturgy, as there are few places where parishes come close to offering liturgies that are as they should be."
  • francis
    OK FNJ!

Please copy and paste the text above into an email and send it to Hilgartner.
  • Simon
    I can speak for the Netherlands (where I live) and France (where I also have a home in southern Burgundy). Catholic church music is at a very low ebb in both countries with only a pale light flickering in a handful of parish churches and cathedrals. France is filled with the most magnificent Gothic cathedrals - most of which are silent. Gregorian chant parish choirs (where still in existence) are often grey-haired, uninspired, and lacking competent direction. Dwindling attendance and faster dwindling resources have led churches to seek savings - often first in the music budgets. Volunteers and amateurs man the organs, a music student may direct the choir. Well qualified church musicians go unhired - leading to fewer numbers to go to the music conservatories to seek qualification. There are less and less of us with a huge and magnificent cultural legacy to save. I am confident that there will remain - scarcely scattered around both countries - centers of excellence and example. But that is the best I can see happening in the next generation or two.
  • francis
    Simon

Depression is one thing, but I don't think we are pessimistic. We believe change is in the making. We certainly hope the fire rekindles long before 1 or 2 generations.