Music for outdoor Masses with limited logistical support
  • BruceL
    Hello friends,

Hope you are all well. I have a bit of a pressing concern: I found out just today that next month my parish will be having a "Mass in the grass" in place of our usual Saturday anticipated Mass. I must admit that I am totally uneducated as to how to plan something like this. Obviously, it seems like there are two very defined paths: 1) "folk Mass style" with guitars and whatever else, or 2) mostly chant. Now, lest this seem too obvious a question to answer: of course I would rather have mostly chant. This is very unlikely to fly with the pastor, and I have a feeling the parishioners also intend something totally different. In fact, I will probably be lucky if I can do, say, the psalm and one ordinary part a cappella. Also, it is unlikely that we will have much (if any) electrical power, so a keyboard, etc., is not going to be part of the plan.

This is where (I hope!) you can help me: what repertoire might be good for this? Of course I am praying for rain, but if that doesn't work out, then what? I will most likely have my 25-30 voice adult choir there, and hope to use them a lot. I will most likely have to incorporate some folk-style instruments, but how could that be done tastefully.

I anxiously await your replies...

BruceL
  • chonakchonak
    Some keyboards can operate on battery power, in case that helps.
  • cdruiz
    You will never know if you do not ask. Draw up an all a Capella program and submit it to your pastor for approval. It doesn't all have to be chant, you can have some polyphony, or even popular hymns. Don't assume that because it is outside that they want folk.

You might luck out and the pastor might say, "yes yes, whatever you think." If he asks why no instruments, just tell him the truth. That though not impossible, you rather not have to worry about power, or instruments getting wet, etc. Tell him you know your crew can do a beautiful job a Capella.

You may be surprised! Do not assume.
  • Berthier.
  • Is there a compelling need to have Mass outdoors? These tend to be a bad idea since outlying noise can be a problem. I remember one year, the parish where I was helping was bent on having an outdoor Mass for Our Lady of Guadalupe. There was to be a festival after that. The Mass was to be held at the plaza across from the church. As the parish is located in downtown, in between two international bridges, the area gets quite noisy. Throw in the smell of Tex-Mex food being cooked in anticipation of the feast and it's a bad combination. After the Mass, we swore we would never have such a venture again.
  • BG,
    BruceL clearly stated that his need was of imminent concern, also known as reality. Your sentiments are spot on, but they don't offer a solution to that direct need.
    Whether you're singing a Berthier ostinato, "Shepherd me, O God," "O God, beyond all praising," or "Gustate et videte" without accompaniment outdoors, you're, de facto, chanting.
    Even with Taize ostinatos, a well played (unobtrusively plucked/strummed) guitar will keep your choir and thus the congregation in tune. Moreso, the use of soprano instruments such as a flute, violin, oboe alternating obligatos with melody or even doubling SATB voice lines provides a lovely sonic atmosphere to the singing outdoors.
    So, BruceL, choose wisely.
  • Oh, I completely understand BruceL's situation. I was just offering what happened in our case. As I was writing this before lunch time, I left out one major detail. It came to me as I was writing. The faithful wanted Mariachis, which was a bad situation altogether and only made things worse. The only saving grace, other than the celebrant's extreme reverence and his homily, was the fact that the responsorial psalm was peaceful.

Is the Mass within the context of Labor Day Weekend? If so, why not use something simple like Holy God, We Praise Thy Name, Father We Thank Thee Who Has Planted, Alleluia, Sing to Jesus and then To Jesus Christ, Our Sovereign King. These are quite easy to sing as they are fairly well known.
  • marajoymarajoy
    "Mass in the Grass?"

Is this like 1972?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If your Diocese is allowing the new translation, you could try my:
    Mass of the Blessed Fire

It is based on Shaker music.

Very robust, singable melodies which would work in an outdoor (no acoustics) setting. A hint of Chant, folksy enough to satisfy that crowd, non-distracting from the liturgical action. Easy to learn.

(And if you decide you need program-sized copies, I'll be happy to provide image files for you.)
  • jhoffman
    I thought I would never say this, but "thank God it's just too hot here to even contemplate an outdoor Mass anytime soon." It's 109 in Austin today and no relief in sight.

My suggestion to Bruce is ... just do the best you can and keep praying for rain. Very familiar hymns like "Come, Holy Ghost", "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name", "Hail, Holy Queen" if there is to be a statue of Mary outside with the crucifix,
    and then there is communion ... good luck ... but TAIZE's Ubi Caritas might work very well. The for the mass parts just do what works best for everyone to sing-a-long.

Will they be on blankets with a cooler of beer and pretzels nearby? Just wondering.

Thank God it's to hot to think about that right now.