What is Traditional...
  • I just had an encounter that underlined something that occurs pretty regularly, even working at a FSSP parish.

Upon popping my head in to the hall and say "hello" to Legion of Mary folks, a kind lady asked me to sing the "traditional" Ave Maria. So I started with the lovely little chant hymn, familiar to anyone in this parish. She stopped me and said, "no, no the *traditional* one". Then I thought a second and told her, "oh, this one is sung traditionally in the Mass, and is dated much earlier than the one I just sang", and proceeded to sing the glorious Offertory from Advent IV, even though I wasn't quite sure what she meant. Slightly irritated, she stopped me again, "no, no, the TRADITIONAL one", and began to hum some of... Schubert's Ave Maria. I smiled in recognition but didn't have the heart to tell her that it didn't have the same traditional pedigree.

Just goes to show you that when people speak of "tradition", they are often speaking of what they know and love, or what their parents and grandparents loved, and things that generally become fond to them. For example, many Catholics now consider "Be not afraid" and "Amazing Grace" traditional Catholic songs simply because they are used to them, and this is reflected in popular "traditional" anthology albums. And these songs, hymns, etc., while not all bad, may not really be traditional in the long view...

I bet y'all have similar stories?
  • For example, many Catholics now consider "Be not afraid" and "Amazing Grace" traditional Catholic songs simply because they are used to them, and this is reflected in popular "traditional" anthology albums.

My previous campus ministry director told me that the music of Haugen, Haas, SLJ, et al are "traditional" nowadays to college students - so, that was the kind of music I was instructed to choose for them at Mass.

It's funny how subjective "tradition" can be.
  • BenBen
    I've heard far too many people use the words "traditional" and "Mass of Creation" in the same sentence. Same with the piano, btw.

I've never understood it. Until now,that is.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Traditional = Common when I was growing up

I like to use the word "habitual" for that. I try to do so without any judgement call on it.
    For example:

Haugen, Haas, and SLJ's are the habitual music of American Catholics.
    As opposed to Chant and Polyphony, the traditional music of the Roman Rite.

Hymns from the 1982 (usually sing too slowly) are the habitual music of Episcopalianism.
    As opposed to Anglican Chant, English Choral Music, and robustly-sung hymns, which are the traditional music of the Anglican tradition.

Actually "Traditional" probably needs a new word, though..
    ancient
    venerable
    authentic

??
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I can hear it now in "Fiddler on the Roof" ... Tevye: "Tradition, tradition, tradition!" :)
  • BenBen
    Actually "Traditional" probably needs a new word, though..
    ancient
    venerable
    authentic

How about "Better"?
  • Traditional = Common when I was growing up

Close, but I think actually:

Traditional = Common when my dad was growing up, at least according to his reminiscences.

How about "Better"?

Lots of "traditional" stuff was junk, though. "Traditional" religious art from the 1800s? Blech. "Traditional" Communion practices from the 1400s? No thanks, said Pius X. The benefit of hindsight is that we can keep the things that were better, and discard the rest. It's like when people think that all the movies of the '30s and '40s were all great classics, or all the music of the '60s. No, history has just jettisoned 95% of the stuff that was mediocre to terrible and was getting churned out by mid-rate artists. I guarantee music from the '90s and '00s will sound a lot better in forty years when it is synonymous only with that small fraction of songs that have stood the test of time. People nowadays have this notion that maybe fifty hymns were written in "traditional times," and they are all Immaculate Mary or Faith of our Fathers. In reality, untold hundreds of utterly dreadful hymns were inflicted on people at the time. They were often dreadful in different ways than many modern hymns are dreadful -- treacly and sentimental rather than riddled with inclusive language -- but dreadful nonetheless, and in exactly the ways you would expect based on the particular flaws of the culture that was producing them. We simply don't have to hear these hymns nowadays because they have long since been consigned to the dustbin.

Of course, the difficulty with acknowledging this is that it does not permit us the customary easy outs (not "traditional = better" any more so than NPM should say "fresher is better"), but rather demands actual artistic and value-based (and liturgical, etc.) judgments.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    well said
  • Mark, I often think about how much mediocre music is written in any age, too. Will that be our purgatory??
    And treacly is a great adjective for some of the hymns people consider traditional. My pastor jokes about wringing such hymns/songs out like syrup over his pancakes. Always gets a chuckle from me.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    The music in the elevator taking one down to the various rungs of Hell was written by...?
  • DougS
    While I don't disagree with the basic thrust of Mark's observations, we need to be mindful that the whole process of "standing the test of time" is intertwined with political and social forces that often pit the powerful against the weak, not necessarily the good against the bad.

Going back to the original subject: my wife is the music director of a two-parish cluster, one "traditional" and one "progressive." Imagine the contemporary parish's horror when she programmed something for the Thanksgiving mass (for example) that had never been done before. "Well we've been doing it this way for 40 years!" So much for progress and change.

Then the "traditional" parish is exactly as Mary Ann describes. Tradition is what people remember with fleeting memories from idealized bygone days (which might have been the 1970s!).
  • Liam
    There is the issue that traditional requires a certain important amount of unconsciousness in order for it to avoid becoming traditionalism (the old saw being that tradition is the living faith of the dead, while traditionalism is the dead faith of the living; another way of putting that is traditionalism is an ideology of modernity, not authentically traditional).
  • Mary Ann, I recall Fr. Phillips' (St. John Cantius, Chicago) anecdote shared at the 2008 Colloquium about a worshiper asking for "Gregorian chant". Fr. Phillips responded that there was Gregorian chant sung for the Masses, but the worshiper said something to the effect of, "no, no, the real Gregorian chant." Fr. Phillips then asked, "Oh…do you mean?…" and hummed psalm tone VIII G, to which the worshiper said, "Yes! That's it!"
  • Mary Ann, I had a similar experience in the mid-late 90s when I used to organize a monthly NO Latin Mass with chant. Each month we had to find a priest who was willing and able to offer Mass in Latin. After one Mass, for which the schola sang, let's say Mass XI, Orbis factor, the priest asked me why we had sung that unusual Mass, and not the 'traditional Gregorian chant.' I mumbled something to the effect that I thought all the chant Masses in the Graduale were traditional. He responded by humming to me the opening of the Kyrie from Mass XVIII, the ferial Mass. For him, that was the traditional chant.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I had a similar experience. When I was directing a schola a couple of years ago, we did a Marian Mass. In this case a lady came up to me afterward and expressed disappointment that we hadn't sung the familiar Marian songs. Salve Regina and Ave Maria apparently didn't count.

I realized, of course, that she meant that we hadn't sung HER favorite Marian songs, from wherever she had grown up.

I didn't come up with the right answer at the time, but subsequently realized that the way to respond is a cheery: "Join the schola, and then you can help us sing the right music!"

Is that too snippy of an answer? Not sure.
  • dad29
    Even more fun are the folks who insist that the Rossini psalm-tone Propers are "real" Chant.

Not to mention the "traditional" confiteor-and-shriving before Communion, which was deleted from the Mass in 1961 or so--

And there are those who claim that "it was an unbroken tradition" wherever they've been going to Mass, despite the roughly 30 year hiatus.

Ah, well.
  • I like the distinction between "traditional" and "habitual". The former implies a purpose (thus giving meaning) for doing something the same way over time, the other lacks any real reason other than resistance to change.
  • I just had an experience yesterday that suits this thread, but there is an underlying theological question behind it that may be more suitable for another topic:

I work at a parish where we have both OF and EF Masses. I became music director for this parish about two years ago, and, before I came, one elderly man sang the Rossini propers at every EF Mass. When I started, the pastor (also new to the parish) desired that I sing propers from the Liber Usalis at the EF Masses. So, I have compromised and alternated singing the Liber propers, letting this man sing the Rossini he loves every other week.

He and I have had an ongoing conversation about the appropriateness of Liber propers for quite some time. Last year, he was trying to convince me that Rossini propers sung by him (a man) were better than Liber propers sung by me (a woman), because this was "traditional". Our pastor put a stop to that fairly quickly.

Yesterday, he comes up to me with another idea. Rossini propers are more suited to our high Masses because a high Mass is "just a sung Low Mass". Therefore, according to him, Rossini propers should be used at a "regular" high Mass, while the Liber propers should be reserved for solemn high Masses. My initial reaction was to explain that he was looking at things from the wrong direction. A high Mass is not "just a sung low Mass", but rather a low Mass is a high Mass without music. Any thoughts or suggestions on how I could explain this better to my choir member?
  • BenBen
    Would the SCR's decree from the first page of the Rossini propers help? Maybe it wasn't in the original (or this man's copy), but in the CMAA's copy of the Rossini propers, it has just what you might want to show him.

I have to say there is some interesting logic going through this man's head...
  • Regrettably, Ben, that "note in the Liber Brevior" is extraordinarily misleading, almost to the point of falsity. It makes it sound like the Congregation of Rites ruled that simple propers can be tolerated only when the full propers cannot be done. But here is the full dubium from 1888 and its response (my translation):

DUBIUM V. Whether the practice can be tolerated of singing Mass in a psalmodic or semi-tone manner?

TO V. "It can be retained."

Hmm, no restriction or even suggestion of limitations or disfavor for the practice. In fact, note the shift from the grudging "tolerated" in the question to the neutral "retained" in the official reply. So where did the rest come from?

Well, when this was compiled two years later among the Analects of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin (who had originally submitted the dubium), it was reported as follows in a section called "Explanations (Dilucidationes) Concerning the Decrees of the S.C.R.," with the explanatory note apparently added by an editor (again, my translation):

Dubium V. Whether the practice can be tolerated of singing Mass in a psalmodic or semi-tone manner?

Notandum. Truly the ecclesiastical chant is the Gregorian chant, and whatever is sung in the Mass is to be sung in the Gregorian manner. The Sacred Congregation of Rites responded to Dubium V: Psalmodic or semi-tone chant can be retained among the Capuchins; by which words the Gregorian chant is not prohibited, but semi-tone chant tolerated.

So perhaps that's what somebody was looking at when he wrote that comment in the Liber Brevior. But clearly, color commentary aside, the real and complete ruling of the Congregation was that psalm-tone propers "can be retained," full stop.
  • Chrism
    The publication of the Decreta Authentica in 1900 involved some selected redaction by the editors--most notably, IIRC, a decree regarding the status of the Putstet editions was not included in the compilation. That fact doesn't change the Decreta Authentica's status as the official copy of the Congregation's decree, but it might explain why the Capuchins wrote what they did in the Analecta published 1890.

I assume the note added by the 1953 Liber Brevior editors (BTW, the same or similar text also appears in the 1930 Chants abregés) was informed by more than simply SCR 3697, and I doubt that they would have mistakenly relied upon the Analecta rather than the Decreta Authentica as their legal source. The monks of Solesmes were certainly well aware of the Decreta Authentica when it was first published, because of the Putstet controversy.

Later law, e.g. Tra le Sollecitudini (1903), mandated the use of the Graduale. I assume this was factored in to the monks' canonical interpretation of the current status of the toleration extended in SRC 3697. In any event, their interpretation was subsequently ratified by De Musica Sacra (1958), paragraph 21c:

But if for some reason a choir cannot sing one or another liturgical text according to the music printed in the liturgical books, the only permissible substitution is this: that it be sung either recto tono, i.e., on a straight tone, or set to one of the psalm tones. Organ accompaniment may be used. Typical reasons for permitting such a change are an insufficient number of singers, or their lack of musical training, or even, at times, the length of a particular rite or chant.
  • Thank you so much for all of your help everyone!
  • Rossini propers are more suited to our high Masses because a high Mass is "just a sung Low Mass".

The Mass should have the highest level of music whenever possible. It is, after all, the Mass.

If there is a human soul that can sing from the Graduale Romanum and one that only can/wants to sing the Rossini Propers if this is truly the Sacrifice of the Mass, then there is no question about who should be singing.

The Rossini Propers guy needs to be honored by the DM and Father for being willing to sing and encouraged by both in every way possible to learn to sing from the Graduale Romanum. Exploring just why the RP are his choice in depth might help. The reasons for singing them...makes Mass end faster? Does Father decide before Mass to use ghe lesser quality Hosts or the really good expensive ones?

In a "situation like this" you could sing the antiphons and have him respond with the verses...as a starting point.

Providing recordings of the GR propers for him to listen to and study would also be a good move.

Recruiting a few more men to sing with him or more women to sing with yourself would give you more support for what you are doing as well.

Sounds as if you are working hard and doing good work, don't give up!
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • ghmus7
    "Traditional" Catholic Music "Contemporary" Catholic Music
    On Eagles Wings Life Teen stuff
    Amazing Grace Protestant Worship Choruses
    Here I Am Lord Ricky Manolo
    City of God
    Ave Maria (Schubert)
    Mother Dearest