Strange quote from Canadian Roman Missal website
  • matthewjmatthewj
    From the FAQs....

Do we have to use the new translations?
    This kind of question is always hard to answer! A hard-line answer would simply be: “Of course we have to!” However, we are invited to enter into the spirit of the law and not only its letter.
    The changes being brought to the Mass apply to Roman Catholics around the world. Although the number and the nature of the changes will differ from one language to another, in all of this we need to be aware that the intention stems from a constant concern to maintain the unity of our faith and worship within the whole Church. Yet, there remains a provision for creativity and adaptations which require a spirit that respects the whole celebration and the universality of the Church. Unity doesn’t always involve uniformity, but does require concerted effort and a common heart.

Are we going back to Latin?
    The vernacular will most certainly continue to be used as the language of worship as established by the Second Vatican Council and reaffirmed by the NEW General Instruction of the Roman Missal. The Preamble to GIRM (2008) states in paragraph 12: “The eagerness with which this measure (use of the vernacular) was everywhere received has certainly been so great that it has led under the guidance of the Bishops and the Apostolic See itself, to permission for all liturgical celebrations in which the people participate to be in the vernacular, so that the people may more fully participate.

Further, it gives this strange ritual for "decomissioning" the Sacramentary... http://www.romanmissal.ca/sacramentary.html Is this found anywhere in the USA? Will this be required of churches in Canada?
  • Egads.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My revised version of Answer #1.

This kind of question is always easy to answer. A wishy-washy answer would simply be a whole of blathering. This is because we are invited to enter the spirit of the law through its letter.
    The changes being brought to the English translation of the Mass apply to Roman Catholics around the English-speaking world. Although, due to minor calendar and spelling differences from country to country, the number and the nature of the changes will differ ever so slightly from one place to place. In all of this we need to be aware that the intention stems from a constant concern to maintain the unity of our faith and worship within the whole Church. It is important that our God-given gifts of creativity and our too-human need for adaptation should be put in service of the universality of the Church. Unity doesn’t always involve uniformity, but sometimes it requires exactly that.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Can anyone find me the quote where the Second Vatican Council establishes vernacular languages as "the language of worship"? Someone must have ripped that page out of my copy of Sacrosanctum Concilium.
  • Matthewj: "No longer Latin, but the spoken language will be the principal language of the Mass"? Is that the type of quotation you're looking for? True, it's not from the Council itself, though it does have the benefit of being from the only authority higher than an Ecumenical Council.
  • CharlesW
    I have had enough difficulty dealing with craziness in the U.S. I am willing to leave Canada to its own devices.
  • IanWIanW
    Matthewj: "No longer Latin, but the spoken language will be the principal language of the Mass"? Is that the type of quotation you're looking for? True, it's not from the Council itself, though it does have the benefit of being from the only authority higher than an Ecumenical Council.

It’s good to see an Ultramontane commenting here, Mark (I’m a sucker for nostalgia). That said, the idea that anything a Pope says, anyplace, anytime is infallible (or ought to be treated as such for all practical purposes) is a little anachronistic; recognisably the product of European absolute monarchy’s last gasps in the 19th and 20th centuries, and a distraction from the deeper liturgical and theological tradition in which Catholics and Orthodox find their faith, despite their differences on the nature and role of the Papacy. Indeed, the creation and implementation of the Novus Ordo might be seen as the high water mark of this aberration. The present Holy Father has distanced himself from the Papacy’s right to arbitrarily change the liturgy.