Music for Wedding in Lent ?
  • G
    Any suggestions, (other than to schedule it for some other time)?

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • G
    Bumping up, please ANY suggestions, ANY ideas?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • BenBen
    Schedule it for another time. :)
  • BenBen
    On second thought, since many churches seem to go for chant during lent, It seems to be a good excuse to use chant, maybe even some polyphony, musical forces allowing, of course (I've noticed polyphony is hard to sing with one cantor :P)

Even at the simplest, I would imagine you could at least use SEP and Jubliate Deo, or maybe some of the ICEL chants.
  • marajoymarajoy
    The "rules" of liturgical music go out the window for every other aspect of weddings, so who cares if it's during lent?

(only half-kidding...)
  • My suggestions would be 1) to echo benyanke's re chant/polyphony; and 2) take your cues from the other aspects of the wedding as allowed by your church (altar flowers for a Lenten wedding? time of day? solemnity allowed and not allowed?). If your pastor is allowing this wedding, get him to give you a framework for what he wants to see done differently at a wedding in a penitential season.
  • Geri
    Solo quartet.
    Bridal party procession-ARIA a SATB vocalise on Bach Air for G String. G...get it?
    Procession-SET ME AS A SEAL UPON YOUR/THINE HEART-Willan,Clausen...
    Gradual/tract from previous Sunday
    Offertory-Ubi caritas, Duraflame
    Lenten EP chanted
    Communion-Ave verum-Byrd, Mozart a cap., ...
    Devotion-Ave Maria-Victoria, Arcadelt, Strawinski if you dare....!
    Recessional-HALLELUJAH! Oops!...Nigra sum-Palestrina or any Tota pulchra est will do.
    Just thinkin'
  • BenBen
    @Patricia

Sounds good, but don't forget that there should be no flowers during lent.

GIRM 305. [...] During Lent it is forbidden for the altar to be decorated with flowers. Exceptions, however, are Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), Solemnities, and Feasts.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I was originally scheduled to get married in Lent, in the evening on the Vigil of Laetare Sunday (and thus would use the Laetare propers, be allowed organ music and flowers and not have to make many changes other than no Gloria or Alleluias). Then US immigration stepped in, so it got moved to Ordinary Time. It was probably for the better, though I think a rose chasuble would be very aesthetically pleasing in wedding pictures.