HELP - Planning Nuptial Music
  • Is there an official all-inclusive document or statement regarding music for the nuptial Mass?

I am aware that the guidelines for this are the same as those followed for music within the context of any Mass, and am familiar with the statements issued in the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, the 3rd ed. GIRM, etc. However, I just need to know the extant to which non-specifically-sacred music is allowed. (i.e. ambiguous "classical" music) Obviously, the Wagner/Mendehlssohn wedding marches are out - no question. But what I am grappling with is the inclusion of music such as Handel's Largo from Xerxes, or his Fireworks music, or even several of the popular "Trumpet Tunes." Where does one draw the line? I always heard that if the piece was from a nondescript instrumental work (meaning, it was not attached to a secular opera or dramatic theme) it was alright to use, even if it was not specifically sacred in nature.
    (Of course, I've also had people use that rationale trying to convince me to play "instrumental" versions of pop songs. "It's just the music! No lyrics!")
    Then again, even some sacred music intended for performance is not necessarily suitable for the liturgy. What if a bride requests the Hallelujah Chorus? (it's happened). Of course, I'd MUCH rather play Handel than one of the many "sing-songy wedding blessings" in the hymnal.

Advice? Specifically, Church DOCUMENTATION?
  • jpal
    We don't allow instrumental entrance processions unless it takes place before the liturgical procession, which never happens because no bride ever wants to have the priest etc. walk in after her. The reasoning is this:

(1) In the GIRM, strictly speaking, there is no provision for an instrumental procession (though perhaps it's vague enough that it could be interpreted to involve a mostly instrumental procession with a short introit sung at the beginning or end).
    (2) The various forms of the Rite of Marriage describe the entrance procession and then say, "Meanwhile, the entrance song is sung." Again, no provision for anything other than something sung.
    (3) We go to great lengths to explain that the entrance procession has various purposes (articulated in the GIRM and elsewhere), and an instrumental procession while the bride enters alone distracts from those ends by drawing undue attention toward one particular person. So we give them a large selection of appropriate hymns.

We are slowly getting a bit stricter with following the Rite of Marriage, but haven't yet enforced the order of the procession as described there (which has the bride and groom entering WITH the priests, rather than the bride coming out of hiding). We'll get there eventually, though.

You might also refer to this or this thread.

Some dioceses have published guidelines that strictly enforce the procession (e.g., here.

Jon
  • chonakchonak
    Here's advice for couples from the USCCB's wedding site (actually written by the president of NAPM):

Secular music is inappropriate for the wedding liturgy even if it speaks of love or marriage. Not even all religious music is necessarily appropriate for the liturgy. Each piece needs to be evaluated according to the criteria mentioned above.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Buy a hardcover copy of the Rite of Marriage.
    Walk through the text there with the couple, explaining the theology behind the rubrics.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Is this for your own wedding? Or for working with couples to plan theirs?

Keep in mind, that while documentation is "nice," most priests don't want to deal with the already-existing tumult surrounding weddings, and certainly want to avoid more, so, whatever Father says or (won't) support, is what goes!