Proclamation of the birth of Christ - 3rd Edition Roman Missal
  • I know this is early; however ...

1. Is there an updated version of the Proclamation of the Birth of Christ under the new missal? or was it even affected?

2. Regarding its use, the current instructions in the supplement to the Sacramentary indicate that it can be sung or spoken after the greeting and introduction of the Midnight Mass and then followed immediately by the Gloria? Does this mean that the "I confess" and the Kyrie are not permitted, or can they still be included? This question was raised for "seasonal" Catholics who come to Midnight Mass and an "opportunity" for them to make this confession.

Bob
    Costa Mesa, CA
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I don't know, but interesting. I suppose those might just be the ones in need of making the petitions of the Kyrie.
  • For the Proclamation text
    http://www.praytellblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Christmas-proclamation.pdf

It was available at the bottom of this web page
    http://www.npm.org/Chants/others.html
    but now that pdf icon is no longer a functional hyperlink
  • chonakchonak
    The Proclamation isn't really part of the Missal, is it? I think it's taken from the Roman Martyrology. Anyway, the USCCB has a version of it on-line.
    Aristotle has an additional setting of the text available here.
  • Excellent ... thank you ... to circle back to the question on the "I confess" and "Lord, have mercy," can they be included or are they negated by using the Proclamation?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • chonakchonak
    The USCCB material says that the Proclamation follows the Greeting ("The Lord be with you...") and introduction, and then the Gloria follows the Proclamation, so that would seem to exclude the Kyrie.

• Well, they got rid of that made-up-from-whole-cloth-for-the-sake-of-political-correctness part about Ruth and the Judges, but why are they still setting it to the modified Prophecy Tone? And I think singing about the Kalends of January and the lunar date could provide a teachable moment about Church tradition.
  • I think the "modified Prophecy Tone" is the standard tone for the Martyrology. There is a solemn tone, though, for the Proclamation as well.