Communion: Let thy Blood in mercy poured
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This setting of John Brownlie's moving translation from the ancient Greek text to my own hymn tune "Rasmus" is a few years old. It is appropriate for and as been used as a hymn or anthem at Communion in several parishes that I know of, so I'm attaching a PDF here. Most recently, it was sung on July 24 at All Saints Anglican (Charlottesville, Virginia) where it is something of a favorite.
  • Deeply moving.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I love those words, and I'm always looking for a better tune than the one I have! Thanks!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Having only previously "heard" this hymn while singing/conducting/playing it, I was dumbfounded to stumble upon this recording while searching on the text for other tunes (I know of only two others that have been used):

video of performance begins at about 6m55s

It's touching to learn that others appreciate it so much. Maybe it's not such a bad thing that I prefer my own setting?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This is communion hymn from the Eastern Orthodox tradition that found its way into both the Episcopalian and Presbyterian traditions by way of its translator, John Brownlie, a Scottish Presbyterian who specialized in hymnology. He first translated this hymn from the Greek and published it in 1910 in Hymns from the East. In the introduction he writes:

If any of the hymns contained in this volume should touch the heart of anyone who reads them, or, better still, at any future time, sings them, may he, as he remembers the source from which they have come, think reverently and sympathetically of the struggling Church of the East.

The Introduction is a remarkable read for us today, even though it was written just over a century ago. Brownlie's comments on hymn writing and translation are well considered. His insight into what the Eastern church means (or should mean) to the West is soulful, even for its era. And after that, the hymn texts are nothing short of divinely inspired.
  • Beautifully written tune. My only disappointment was watching the video, when your accompanist switched from the organ to the piano for the hymn. I would have kept it on the organ, sans the 2'. The choir rendered it very well also.

I recognized the name Brownlie with another hymn - "The King Shall Come when Morning Dawns".

BMP
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Brian

It wasn't my accompanist or my choir ... this is from a Presbyterian church in Vancouver, Washington. I knew nothing about the performance at all until I stumbled on the video. I would have preferred sticking with organ accompaniment without the 2ft stop, too. I'm glad you like the piece though! Thanks for the assessment.

You're right about the other Brownlie hymn that is known ... another gem.

Chuck
  • Brownlie also translated "God of all grace, thy mercy send" and "O King enthroned on high", nos. 180 and 374 in the Hymnal 1940. He also wrote original hymns but I don't have these at hand.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Joseph... Yes, those two were omitted when the Hymnal 1982 replaced the Hymnal 1940. There are several other tomes of Brownlie's translations and hymns, and I've only begun to scratch the surface in my old age. For the present, though, I've been poring over the aforementioned Hymns of the East (it's that Byzantine influence on me!).
  • JennyJenny
    Thank you for this, Charles. I showed it to my music director at the beginning of September and she loved it. Our choir presented it at Communion last Sunday and it was very well received.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Lovely, Charles. Thank you!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Wow, but 'tis I who should thank you! - both of you!

On a side note, rehearsals on This Advent Moon are now underway with the Phipps Festival Chorus, which will sing it in two concerts on December 3 at the Phipps Center for the Arts in Hudson, WI. It's also being sung on the first Sunday of Advent at the Church of the Redeemer in Bryn Mawr, PA. Singers here are delighted to discover the wonderful poem "Advent" by the Victorian poet Christina Rossetti from which the text is taken (and they seem to like the music, too!). For my wife, hearing it for the first time will be very special, since this piece was composed for her just two years ago following the untimely death of her father.
  • CharlesW
    Lovely hymn. I used it on Good Friday of last year.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks, CharlesW ... Good Friday or Communion, appropriate for either!

Makes me wonder - would it be appropriate for the PBEH?