If you're in Cleveland 8/28 : new liturgical music by Cleveland composers
  • Jeffrey Quick
    WHAT: Concert of new/unpublished/not-yet-heard liturgical and organ music
    (the latest in an occasional series starting in 2003)

WHEN: Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM (note time)

WHERE: Immaculate Conception Church, 4129 Superior Ave., Cleveland 44103 (near downtown)

WHO: Pickup choir formed around the Immaculate Conception Schola; James Clouser, organ ; Frederick Lautzenheiser and Jeffrey Quick, conductors

PROGRAM:
    Samuel Schmitt: Missa Sancti Joanni
    William Fazekas: Mr. David Leifer his Pavan (organ)
    Benjamin Taylor: Mitte manum tuam; Locus iste
    Jennifer Scolnick: Magnificat; Ave Regina coelorum
    Kevin Eppich: O vos omnes; Ascendit Deus
    Jeffrey Quick: Mass in Honor of St. Maximilian Kolbe; The Beatitudes; Warm-up for 7 trumpets (organ); O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden (organ)
    Cassandra Clouser: Hymn to the Trinity
    Linda Allen: Mass for St. James
    Frederick Lautzenheiser: Passer invenit sibi domum; O beata provincia
  • Is this open to anybody?

How long will it last?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Open, free...I don't know how long it will last, but it looks like a pretty sizeable program with an intermission. My contributions add up to 20 minutes or so.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    Nice! They have this sort of thing at school, and all the composition majors need to have pieces on it at the end of the semester. They call it Musica Nova. To do it with a Catholic sacred music focus is new to me. What sort of organization is it - you seem to have a fair number of composers - how did you manage that?
  • I will hopefully be able to come but can't guarantee that I will be able to stay the whole time.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    It's not an "organization" at all. We do have a pretty strong composers organization in town, the Cleveland Composers Guild, but this is just evolutionary. Many of the churches in town (St. John's Cathedral. the ECUSA cathedral Trinity, St. James Anglican Catholic, and others) have been very open to new music, so it gets written. There's also a newly-formed chamber choir, the Cleveland Chamber Singers, organized to do contemporary sacred music (Richard Rice, we're working on your Salve Regina, and it ROCKS!). Fred has had a volunteer schola at "the Mac" for years, and it's where you go if you want to sing polyphony. They do new things on occasion, and draw composers interested in the polyphonic art, folks like my esteemed colleague Lisa Rainsong (who isn't on this one, alas...she seems to have abandoned composition to be a naturalist.)...they were also essentially the birthplace of the lute-song duo Mignarda. So at some point Fred looked around at all the local choristers who compose, and said, "Let's do a concert." This is the third such outing...we do one every 3-4 years whether we need to or not. Not all the music is Roman...the Clouser piece is Orthodox, the Allen mass was written for St. James...but it's all for liturgical churches at the least. And not everyone is currently a Clevelander; Sam and Jana Schmitt were at the Mac but are now in David Hughes' part of the world, Ben Taylor is in CA I think. Styles are all over the map: Fred and Sam tend toward the neomedieval, Ben is pretty crunchy but tonal, Linda and I are more Romantic than anything. It will be about like Cleveland weather: if you don't like the music, wait 5 minutes.
  • rich_enough
    Nice article about the concert at clevelandclassical.com.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Love this quote (my emphasis):
    Like the Japanese aesthetic of having beautiful ceramic teacups that are actually used for drinking tea, this music is used for something
  • I was able to stay until the intermission. The singers and organ sounded absolutely astounding. Congrats on a terrific performance! It was so popular that there were not even enough programs printed.

Will this music be published anywhere?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I don't know. CanticaNova is looking at my mass right now. If there's something you're really interested in, let me know, I'll make the connection with the composers, and chances are they'd be very happy to get you a copy.

I thought things went very well, especially considering that we were still dealing with note issues at the dress, and that there was never a rehearsal (not even the dress) when everyone was there. There were little flubs here and there...a bad organ chord in my mass, a bad page turn in my solo section that lead to about a measure of my part being missing, numerous issues in Linda Allen's Mass (at least one of which I was directly responsible for, mea culpa). We could have used more and lower basses... I had to hold down the part myself in Fred's last piece because Greg Heislman had to hightail it to the Cathedral to play a mass. It was "a blow", as we brass player say...the show ran 1:40. But the group sounded pretty darn good, they were all readers with vocal technique, and there was not a dud piece on the program. I'm developing a fondness for Ben Tayor's stuff...it's pretty crunchy, but also mostly diatonic, and in some ways easier to sing than my music. It's got the right spirit and classicality of form, IMHO-YMMV. Jennifer Scolnick's music was new to me too; that 5/8 Magnificat demanded some alertness. I'm thinking of revising the climax of the Beatitudes...it's effective, but it took a lot of work and nail-biting to bring off (those at the Colloquium reading session know what I'm talking about).

I wish I'd put the Tascam out...the recording engineer for Cleveland State did the recording, but it might be awhile. He used a different mic setup than I've ever seen there; the space is very flattering to voices, but it can be tricky to record in. Hopefully, I'll be able to share some of this online when i get the CD. Anyway, glad you were there, and glad you enjoyed it.
  • I finally got my recording. Here is a halfway decent performance of my Beatitudes. I can't really post any of the other things without composer permission.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    JQ

That's a very beautiful piece!