Matching up old Chant books and the new Liturgical Calendar
  • The old calendar, and so old Chant books, count the Sundays of the year from Epiphany and Pentecost, outside of Advent and Lent. The new calendar speaks of "Ordinary Time." Do the Sundays of the two systems match up the same way each year, or is it necessary to count the "Ordinary" Sundays from Epiphany and Pentecost to keep track?

Currently, I write the number of Sundays from Pentecost next to each Sunday in the green guide to the Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours.

Is there a website that keeps track of this?

Kenneth
  • chonakchonak
    It's messy. Because Lent and Easter shift every year, the number of Sundays after Epiphany and the number of Sundays after Pentecost vary every year.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    There is this at CPDL.
  • I guess I hit on something. It is easy enough to calculate but annoying. I agree with Chonak: it is hard to see how CPDL can do a one-to-one correspondence. If Easter comes early or late, it is going to change the number of Sundays after Epiphany or Pentecost, depending. Hmmm....have to think about that one. Have to sit down with some calendars and figure out a guide.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Actually, CPDL has done a remarkably good job at the correspondence - and it's not a mere matter of shifting. Richard has done a careful job of aligning OT with the Tridentine propers and the Anglican use/nearest date propers. Note that OT 14, 15, 16, 17 correspond to Tridentine Pentecost VIII, X, IX, XI (see the order reversal in the middle?). Nevertheless, it's actually possible to automate the conversion and even to tie it to specific Sundays in each calendar year (even at CPDL), but that would create a table of a different, date-oriented sort.
  • Interesting, and thank you. So there is something I need to learn...now there's a switch. I am still not sure how that works, but, as I said, I have to sit down with a calendar and figure it out.